magic circle??

judypudy

How many doily makers use this "magic circle" method to start your doilies as oppsed the amount of ch's the patterns call for??? since i have been having

a little trouble with some patterns "cupping" up :think, i think i'm gonna try somemore "magic circle" starts. any opinions????:yes judy

ps. i just finished blocking a bunch of doilies i've been doing. so as soon as

i can get a pic. i will post:cheer

I haven't used it in any doilies yet, but I've used the magic circle on a couple of round ripples and some square motifs for an afghan. They didn't seem to help with the tips of the round ripple cupping, but I find it easier to start a circle than the traditional method. And I find that the centers of my circles are much prettier and neater.

Glad i could help those who never heard of this tech. before .... and i guess

i'm gonna use it to start my doilies. ( maybe that will help the cupping problem.

actually i think 1 of mine big problems might being doing my chains toooo tight., gonna try to loosen up on those too. :cheer judy

I've been using this technique for awhile now and didn't know it had a special name. When working with thread for doilies I find this technique make for a better center because there isn't that "knot" that forms when you join the chain to make the loop. And with it being adjustable it helps ease some of the tension so there is less puckering. I swear by this method of starting a loop!

~ Lori

I use the magic circle all the time, , even when the pattern calls for a different method I change it and use the circle. :hook

I do that too! I see "Ch 2, x-amount of sts into second chain" etc, and I immediately change it in my head to a magic circle (which, my version is basically starting a slip knot, and working the sts into that ring, and pulling the tail tight!) I love how well it works!

I learned the "Magic Circle" from a Magic Crochet magazine years ago and have used it ever since. I never liked the look of my starting circles.

Magic Crochet has a page with stitch instructions in each issue. They show 2 ways to do the Magic Circle.

I had never heard of it either, but it seems simple enough. How do you keep it in place after you've done it? Tuck the ends in?

Thanks for sharing that information though, I'm sure I'll get a lot of use out of it.

I have never done doilies, but I prefer using a magic circle for most patterns that call for ch(2, 3, etc) and sl st together. For whatever reason I have less cupping if I use a magic circle.

Magic loops are really worth the effort! They're a tad tricky, but seriously not difficult, especially if you are working with good photos. I hope you do try it because it can make a difference and can be used on lots of different projects.

Archived