I hate to say this, but...

I picked up the 2008 Crochet calendar and I was really disappointed. There were a few beautiful designs but out of over 300 crochet patterns, I would probably only make 20. Many of them seemed to me to be the sort of stereotypical crocheted items that many of us try to get away from. I've been working on creating some of my own patterns so maybe I'll submit one for next year's calendar..but for now I'm stuck with this. :(

I picked up the 2008 Crochet calendar and I was really disappointed. There were a few beautiful designs but out of over 300 crochet patterns, I would probably only make 20. Many of them seemed to me to be the sort of stereotypical crocheted items that many of us try to get away from.

Pretty much how I feel about the last two. Plus most of them can be found free on the internet.

My first one was a gift and the second one I bought for $3.00 on clearance so I don't feel too bad.

I'm not selling/trading/giving away either as there are pattens in each that I do like and I am OC about breaking up my sets. lol

Let's see... You pay less than $20 for hundreds of patterns! HELLO!!!!! How many of us pay $5.99 for a crochet magazine that we are lucky to make ONE item out of? Let alone booklets and patterns books that are very pricey, again, only to make one or 2 patterns out of. Yes, many of these patterns are avail on the net, but there are many that aren't and the cost of not having to print out the patterns myself, this calendar pretty much pays for itself!

Sure there are things I'm not crazy about, (for example, taking up over a week for one pattern) but for the most part, I believe it's well worth the money.

Let's see... You pay less than $20 for hundreds of patterns! HELLO!!!!! How many of us pay $5.99 for a crochet magazine that we are lucky to make ONE item out of? Let alone booklets and patterns books that are very pricey, again, only to make one or 2 patterns out of. Yes, many of these patterns are avail on the net, but there are many that aren't and the cost of not having to print out the patterns myself, this calendar pretty much pays for itself!

Sure there are things I'm not crazy about, (for example, taking up over a week for one pattern) but for the most part, I believe it's well worth the money.

Thank you!!!!! I have the last 2 years' calendars and the 2007 wasn't as good as 2006, however I know myself and what pattern doesn't normally turn me on at one point, might down the road...and while it's true that some of these might be free on the internet, to me it's worth the money to have a hard copy in a box on my shelf than to hunt around the 'net trying to find something sometimes...

I figure if there are 20 patterns that one might want to make out of 300, that's actually pretty good...I was lucky to find a couple in the last calendar...

I don't know if this is true or not, but I would imagine that some of the patterns might be a first time attempt at getting published for some of the contributors...

Yup, I'm with DonnaLynn and Eurolyons. For the fact that I've now got that whole multitude of paper patterns her at my disposal I'm happy to have purchased these last two calendars. Plus I feel like I'm supporting my friends who all had their submissons published.

But for the record: I don't think anyone should be paying more than $13.99 for this calendar. Supporting friends or not I'm looking to get a deal on this thing. :)

I bought the 2007 calendar at a garage sale this summer for $5.00 and felt I got a tremendous bargain. Even though there are only 15 or 16 patterns I KNOW I will try, I enjoyed looking at ALL the patterns. I guess the old "different strokes for different folks" is still true.

You pay less than $20 for hundreds of patterns! HELLO!!!!! How many of us pay $5.99 for a crochet magazine that we are lucky to make ONE item out of? Let alone booklets and patterns books that are very pricey, again, only to make one or 2 patterns out of. Yes, many of these patterns are avail on the net, but there are many that aren't and the cost of not having to print out the patterns myself, this calendar pretty much pays for itself!

I have the last 2 years' calendars and the 2007 wasn't as good as 2006, however I know myself and what pattern doesn't normally turn me on at one point, might down the road...and while it's true that some of these might be free on the internet, to me it's worth the money to have a hard copy in a box on my shelf than to hunt around the 'net trying to find something sometimes...

Most of the freebies that I'd make, I already had printed so there was NO savings there for me at all.

The rest I wouldn't make. I know 100 percent I'll never make many of the patterns. I know, never say never. However in this case I absolutely can. That's just my taste.

As for comparing to magazines, that's why I don't subscribe. I like being able to look through a magazine and if I don't like the patterns in it, I don't buy it. Even if I buy it for one pattern, it's still my choice. I can't flip through the pattern a day calenders.

I'm a sucker...I'll probably end up getting the Crochet 2008 and Knit 2008 calendars again...As someone said, if you buy the calendars on sale, even if there are only 20 patterns worth making, that's still cheaper than buying a 25.00 book and only seeing 2 patterns you'd want to make.

I'll probably get it. I like having it at my desk at work where I can't crochet (even if I have nothing to do:think ) except at lunch. So it's nice to see the pattern book while I'm working. Plus I can turn to a date for a pattern I like or am considering, I rarely have had the 2007 on the correct date :lol Right now it's still on the 24th and has been for a week or so (I thought of making another afghan for my friends baby shower, but didn't, and this was an option, might still be for Christmas...).Debbi

Definitely not my cup of tea. Where are all the hip crocheters hiding? I know you exist :).

They might be afraid of getting published like I am and getting posted in a thread called, "What Not to Crochet!"

They might be afraid of getting published like I am and getting posted in a thread called, "What Not to Crochet!"

I know what you mean...there have been many things posted on here for others to ridicule that I've privately thought, "how pretty- I would make that", or, "what a cute idea!". I guess that's just my taste. I have more..."hip" sensibilities, like paperflowers said.

I bought the 2007 one and was very disappointed. I don't think I'd buy another one.

I feel the same way. Plus, they stretched out patterns that could be done in 1-2 days to three or four or more days.

I just think I'll buy a book instead.

:manyheart

I feel the same way. Plus, they stretched out patterns that could be done in 1-2 days to three or four or more days.

:manyheart

I noticed this years TOC wasn't as bad as the 2007 one. Which is good. I wonder if people complained because yes, they could have put some that were 4 or more days in to 1-2 (some back pages were blank and didn't have to be).

I found mine at a local bookstore. They have to be a big bookstore like Barnes & Noble or Boarders. Some got theirs at Joannes. YOu can also order them online, some did that last year.

Debbi

I bought mine at Barnes and Noble in January, for 1/2 price (I think it was only about $5). Was I disappointed? Yeah, a little. but I was very pleased to see patterns designed by my "friends". I'll still try to get the 2008 calendar, and I'll try to submit a couple patterns for the 2009 (up to now, I've been a little frightened of doing so :blush). I'm thinking about submitting my chemise pattern, as well as some things I'm working on for my maternity line. Not sure yet, though.

I'm still waiting for my copy. Since I have a couple in there this year, I'm supposedly getting a freebie...so now I'm jealous that so many of you have it already! :):P I think I'll submit one or two again next year. (Part of the reason some are stretched over several days may be because they don't get enough submissions...maybe? hmmm...). I enjoy looking at the calendars and while I probably will only make a few items in each one, they're fun to own, to me at least. And mine's never on the right page either!

FYI to find them, try Barnes&Noble web site, or even pattern a day website.

Prev. years are hard to find, b/c they seem to sell out every year.

CAN YOU TELL US HOW TO SUBMIT A PATTERN FOR THE CALENDAR...

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSE?!!!

:hug

If you have a calendar already, it has a little submission entry in it...and you can make copies if you want/need. otherwise you can go to pattern a day website (can't think of it. check in the design section theads, accepting submissions thread...I'll bet there's a link with info) Basically you will send in the pattern, the item/good pictures of the item (no negatives, printer copies, etc) and the submission sheet. Last year they even had an entry contest. here: http://www.knittingpatternaday.com/index.htm . That's the site I was thinking of. Hope this helps!

Archived