How do you organize your magazines, books, and patterns?

Titus2woman

I've been thinking about this since I want to figure out which magazine I'm going to subscribe to. I'm thinking about Crochet Today, and I wanna read it cover to cover and then clip the patterns I must keep and put them in page protectors in a binder. I just can't hold onto everything like I want to! Do you have a certain system that works? *THANKING YOU!* (((((HUGS))))) sandi

I tried cutting out just the pgs. I wanted from mags. in the past & it wasn't worth it - I should've just kept the mag. intact/whole as the patts. are usually continued on other pgs. towards the back of the mag. & by the time you cut them all out, you might just as well keep the mag. intact! Plus, in years to come, you can always sell the mags. later on as well.

I forgot to tell you that I file most of my Leisure Arts, Annie's Attic, etc. leaflets/booklets in filing cabinets that you can buy at Walmart - and I also keep loose patts. inside sheet protectors in the filing cabs. as well, works great. Larger books & mags. I have in one of those portable, put-together-yourself cabinets w/doors on the front & shelves inside.

I bought these plastic filing boxes at WalMart. They have dividers in them that rest on the inside top edges of the box and you can put the mags in the folders.

They have lids, too, so you can just close it up.

But be warned, after you fill it with mags it is heavy.

I have alot of different kind of craft books, not only crochet, so I had to find a way to put these things somewhere.

Magazines are in plastic file bins. Loose pages (like those from internet print outs) are in page protectors in labeled binders (there are now 15 binders and 3 file bins. small pamphlet type books are in same type of plastic file bin. They are all on open shelves along the top of the den wall. (Used to be kitchen, but we moved kitchen downstairs. I kept the top wall cabinets, removed the doors, and use those shelves for my craft books, scrapbooking, and other craft supplies.) One thing I learned from the DIY network and HGTV. No room on the floor, use the wall space and go up.

I keep a "wish list" where I write down the pattern name/type, where it is (which magazine, what issue, page) what type of yarn it requires and how much (so I have it available if there is a sale). Then I can see how many things are on my "wish list" and I can prioritize, becuase there is never enough time to make everything I want!

I keep the magazines in a plastic magazine rack that sits on my book shelf, shelved together with the same title. I keep a post-it note on the cover of the magazine with the item(s) that are inside it that I want to remember to find time to do. The wish list is more accurate and up to date, and easier to keep handy when I go shopping or surfing the yarn sales.

I keep a "wish list" where I write down the pattern name/type, where it is (which magazine, what issue, page) what type of yarn it requires and how much (so I have it available if there is a sale). Then I can see how many things are on my "wish list" and I can prioritize, becuase there is never enough time to make everything I want!

I keep the magazines in a plastic magazine rack that sits on my book shelf, shelved together with the same title. I keep a post-it note on the cover of the magazine with the item(s) that are inside it that I want to remember to find time to do. The wish list is more accurate and up to date, and easier to keep handy when I go shopping or surfing the yarn sales.

Wooooo....Ellen! You are WAY too organized for me! Wish some of that would rub off on me! LOL

I haven't figured out how to successfully organize my patterns. But one thing I *did* decide is to NOT tear out patterns from magazines. Because my taste changes. What I am interested in one day might become the most important pattern in the world in a few months from now!

Well, y'all are SO RIGHT! I found three different issues of Crochet Today at Wal-Mart, and there's no way I could cut them up. ~sigh~ With homeschooling we already have sooo many books (which I LOVE) and need more space! and now I'm happily adding to it~LOL! We'll see what happens~I'm pondering all of your ideas! (((((HUGS))))) sandi

Well I like to display some of my mags. I have several cute baskets around the house filled with mags. I also have some very old workbasket mags that I collect and I have those in a plastic storage bag with a list of month/year inside with the mags. Then I made a mag caddie for my sofa and I keep the latest mags in there and switch out when my new ones come.

I have 3 ring binders for loose and internet patterns and again another basket for my purchased patterns.

You mean patterns are supposed to be organized :laughroll I wish mine were :( I am putting my printed patterns (from my computer) in page protectors then in 3 ring binders. My other patterns that are either paper booklets, or hardback books are down stairs in the basement in a huge plastic tote. There is no picking that baby up, I just have to scoot it around when I want to get in it.

I don't subscribe to any crochet magazines right now because I had accumulated so many over the years. :(

So many times patterns are continued on other pages and their may be a "pattern conflict" that the continued pattern instructions are on the same page or one on one side of a page and the other on the other side with instructions in the same spot. Better to keep the whole magazine.

You can buy magazine inserts and store them in a 3 ring binder if you like.

I use metal filing cabinets and hanging folders. I put the magazines and leaflet patterns in the hanging folders, and hardback books just go in without a hanging folder. The books I use the most go on top of the cabinet and use metal book ends to keep them upright.

i keep a stacked fanned out pile of interweave, crochet today, and crochet magazines on my bottom shelf with most recent issue on top.

tunisian and double-ended hook pattern collection seperated but together

"quick" afghans sorted from Q-hook to double yarn, with Big Hook Crochet book on end

Scrap yarn afghan patterns together

standard crochet hooks afghan patterns together, with some specialized methods in there.

sampler afghan patterns together, with dishcloth patterns right next to, and 3 little book beginner stitch guides with that section.

the rest is bigger books and loosely organized - stitch reference, instructional reference, needlecraft reference, 3 color work reference, vogue on-the go series and some knotting books together.

my master bathroom had an enclosed toilet area with 5 shelf built into an odd-angled corner, so this is how i put that shelfing area to use. i look through all my books as often as i can to keep ideas of what i want to do next fresh in my head.

edit - oh yeah,i don't keep any seperate patterns laying around. loose patters bug me. i think i did print out one dish cloth star ripple pattern and stick it in a big book of dishcloths book.

I keep mine in three file boxes (one for thread patterns, one for clothing and one for ... everything else). It seems to work!

I have had a sort-through though and I do have about 20 pattern books to list on eBay when I find time!

Manda

My magazines are in covered plastic tubs, and my single patterns, from the internet and other places are in binders, with plastic sleeves on them. The binder are sorted by baby clothe, adult cloths, accessories, afghans, baby afghans, household items, and toys.:hook

Commercial bookshelf from Office Depot. Only $90. Holds 50lbs per shelf. That sucker can take a beating. I have my mags organized by title, then date. I have all other leaflets and books organized by category (adult clothing, afghans, baby clothing, baby blankets, blocks and stitches, and reference books). I try to put post it notes with the written title sticking out of the tops of the mags, but I really need to do a wish-list like another poster said. I'm always thinking, "oh, I want to make that afghan with that stitch" and can never find it. :)

I never tear out patterns, in case I get bored with it and want to sell the magazine later or give it away. What I may have deemed undesirable, someone else might like. :)

I think I mentioned on another thread that my room is overflowing in yarn and electronics. I have tried to organize before but the chaos always comes back! The only part of my room that is organized is my closet and my DVDs!

"Just because my lips aren't moving doesn't mean I'm not counting shh!"

I keep my pattern books and heavy paper leaflets in a magazine box (the kind that go on a bookshelf). They're roughly sorted by type (baby, adult, wearables, etc.)

Patterns I print from the internet I keep in a 3-ring binder with tabs and sort by type.

I also have a bunch of patterns on my computer that I've printed to PDF files. I haven't decided if I want to keep them yet, so they haven't been printed to paper. As I decide to keep them, they make their way to the binder.

Anna :hook

• 2 weeks later...

well let's see ... there's the stair tread set of files (currently for my doily and bedspread books) and then there's the TV room floor file system I have going right now for my WTBSS (works to be started soon) and then there's the bedroom bureau system where I keep the "someday" books for tatting, potholders, and assorted 1930s hats and dresses I know in my heart I'll never do ... and of course there's the kitchen table where I put assorted patterns I print off the internet or get from friends ... and last but not least is in this office where I have patterns on every surface!

(somebody shoot me?)

Archived