bag made from 3-ring binder?

I have a weird idea. I've been wearing out tote bags like crazy and have been thinking about making a durable bag out of cord or something.

At work, we have some old 2" wide 3-ring binders to get tossed. I was thinking if you took the rings out, the binder could serve as the bottom and sides of a bag. I could make pieces to fit over it. Or, what would be even more interesting, would be to figure out how to keep the front of the binder visible. Not sure about closing up the sides, though.

Any input? I know a guy who makes art out of everyday things, but I've never tried it myself :).

I think it is a neat idea.

Make one and see what happens. I was thinking of tossing some binders I have. i might borrow your idea and see how it goes. I like the firmness this would cause.

it would have to fit very tightly though, given how much crochet stretches.

:think :think :think :think :think

A gusset to fill in the bottom (or side of the binder) and sides of the bags. Although those wouldn't be firm on the side... Maybe you could add plastic canvas there to keep it firm?

So do a front and back the size of the side of the binder... then open the binder to where you want it open and make the gusset. If you wanted you could make the top more open, and decrease to the bottom.

If you wanted to keep the front visible, maybe just a section... hmm... maybe squares on the front and back. leave some squares off for the front so it's visible? Did you mean like to put a photo or paper there? Or the logo on the binder? Squares would work for the photo or paper.

Maybe you could do strips for the front to keep it open. Do a top strip, bottom strip, and side strips, then sew them together so there's a center opening/hole...

?

Debbi

Debbi - I'm not 100% clear on what a gusset is, but that sounds cute. My thinking was to take out the rings and use the spine of the binder as the bottom of the bag and have it open accordion-style. I can't think of a way to attach the fabric to the binder, so I suppose it'd need to envelope the binder while closing up the sides.

There's a big company logo on the front. It'd be neat to leave it visible, even if it were sideways. Maybe leave a square open, use a loose weave or just enclose it and add another piece with the logo on top.

Haven't started anything. I'm throwing out ideas here :). I think the binder itself weighs about a pound. There are little bolts holding the rings on. I can try prying them off with plyers.

Debbi - I'm not 100% clear on what a gusset is, but that sounds cute. My thinking was to take out the rings and use the spine of the binder as the bottom of the bag and have it open accordion-style. I can't think of a way to attach the fabric to the binder, so I suppose it'd need to envelope the binder while closing up the sides.

There's a big company logo on the front. It'd be neat to leave it visible, even if it were sideways. Maybe leave a square open, use a loose weave or just enclose it and add another piece with the logo on top.

Haven't started anything. I'm throwing out ideas here :). I think the binder itself weighs about a pound. There are little bolts holding the rings on. I can try prying them off with plyers.

http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/HookedBags.html has a gusset on this bag. It's basically a side, bottom and side strip. So the sides would be wide enough for the binder to be open, if the binder is attached to the front and back fo the bag.

Debbi

:cheerLove, Love your idea. please keep us posted on what you come up

with. i was just think maybe you could open the binder up so that the front & back are straight up & down and then maybe use electrical tape or packaging tape to hlod it in that position. don't know. but i like the idea of the FIRM back & front with the binder.. you go girl:clap judy

Could you somehow punch holes in the sides and crochet a gusset? Almost like an edgery doo thing? Does that make sense?....lol

This is what I was thinking... either that or make two side pannels and then whip/crochet them on to holes punched or drilled into the binder edges. You could do a top/cover the same way and stitch on a strap made seperately.

I thought of drilling holes in the edges, too. What about spray adhesive to stick the crochet piece to the back? If you make the back piece solid enough, the binder won't show through. But the front, the front... You could stand the binder up so that the logo is upright, but you (we) would have to figure out a way to make the bottom solid enough to hold all your stuff.

Love the idea : are the biders of card or thin plastic?

If the latter you could hole-punch some holes along the sides and incorporate them into the bag itself, maybe have some on show.

Then also cut a circular hole in the centre, punch holes around and work a motif into the circular hole!

That would integrate the crochet work with the plastic and might make it even more fun, not to mention challenging.....:(

Have a go and let us know what happens!

Happy recycling!

The binders are a very stiff cardboard-ish material. It's very strong, but scuffs easily. I was able to punch a little hole in one using a boxcutter.

It occurred to me if I took off the 3-ring assembly, it'll leave 3 holes in the spine of the binder. Maybe just leave it as is and incorporate it somehow.

Please add me to the growing list of those who want to see a pix of the finished project. I too am reluctant at work to toss those old D-ring binders and your idea is SO clever. Please don't give up on your idea!

Here I am cheering you on .... :cheer

Archived