Eight-pocket Tote CAL

barbn77

Well, so far I've gotten one front piece done and have the back piece about a quarter of the way done. I'm using TLC essentials "citrus" (a varigated yarn) and am holding a size 10 "linen" colored thread with the yarn. I ran out of the thread and had to go to Joann's yesterday evening to get more (so much for not buying any more thread/yarn). I've decided that I will definitely line my bag. And will use plastic canvas at the bottom of the tote so it can stand up. I can't wait to get this done and see what it will look like. I'm also just can't wait to see everyone's pictures.

• Replies 876
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the back done and I started the gusset, i'll do the front after, I wanted too try a smaller piece next, I only made it 10" it's supposed too be 11 1/2" so would I subtract the 1 1/2" on the gusset?? I was just going too measure it against the piece as I go along, I don't want too run out of my main color, I went too 3 diffrent stores and could'nt find the color i'm using but I do have 2 14 oz. balls so i'm probably OK but i'm really good and not getting enough yarn for a project LOL I could also get creative and mix in my contrasting color when I get too the pockets:hook

Well I've changed yarn after doing one side :lol I didn't like it. Too loose for my tastes.

Now I'm re-starting using Sugar & Cream Jute color with warm brown ombre as my CC.

(Barb, sorry since you put my color down). I will frog the one side for another project later.

Barb I'm also reducing the size. I don't want it to be really large & my first panel was really big! I don't really need a tote that large. Just room for a small take along project, a portable hook case, wallet & keys, etc. I think you're right about reducing the gusset since the bag will be shorter. How much it should be reduced, I'm not sure. I'm trying to figure that out too. I'll probably measure it as I go on the gusset.

Funny a few of you mention getting distracted with the alternating stitches, I have done that twice & restarted that row lol. Fortunately you can see the sc & dc & tell what st goes next but if I watch tv, I will accidently start doing sc the rest of the row. :yes

Well I've changed yarn after doing one side :lol I didn't like it. Too loose for my tastes.

Now I'm re-starting using Sugar & Cream Jute color with warm brown ombre as my CC.

(Barb, sorry since you put my color down). I will frog the one side for another project later.

No problem I changed it:yay

here's the yarn that i am using with black as the CC

please excuse the messy hair and no makeup look:lol just got out of the shower

check out the size of this baby !!!!! 500gms to be exact

oh and do you think i have a thing for this colour at the moment ?? check out the nail colour :blush i didnt realise until i posted this picture :D

IMG_1974.jpg

Well gee Clare Im not sure if you will have enough there.:lol :lol

Dont you love those 500gram balls you can buy at the shop. Lincraft had 500gram balls for $8.99 the other week. I bought blue and black for my lumberjack ghan.

wow thats amazing how you got the same color as your nail polish.

Well gee Clare Im not sure if you will have enough there.:lol :lol

Dont you love those 500gram balls you can buy at the shop. Lincraft had 500gram balls for $8.99 the other week. I bought blue and black for my lumberjack ghan.

wow thats amazing how you got the same color as your nail polish.

do you think i have enough yarn :hook maybe i will make a couple the same color and give them to some friends

yes i love the 500 gm balls they are fantastic for larger projects

do you like the lincraft brand yarn ? i find that i splits to much :yes ....ok for toys ...but when i use it on a single strand blanket it drives me nuts!!!!

here's the yarn that i am using with black as the CC

please excuse the messy hair and no makeup look:lol just got out of the shower

check out the size of this baby !!!!! 500gms to be exact

oh and do you think i have a thing for this colour at the moment ?? check out the nail colour :blush i didnt realise until i posted this picture :D

IMG_1974.jpg

That's like me with my red:lol :lol

Love that color - blue isn't my fav - but the teals, periwinkle all look pretty!

Good morning Wendy! The baby shower is today!!:yay

I have the back done and I started the gusset, i'll do the front after, I wanted too try a smaller piece next, I only made it 10" it's supposed too be 11 1/2" so would I subtract the 1 1/2" on the gusset?? I was just going too measure it against the piece as I go along, I don't want too run out of my main color, I went too 3 diffrent stores and could'nt find the color i'm using but I do have 2 14 oz. balls so i'm probably OK but i'm really good and not getting enough yarn for a project LOL I could also get creative and mix in my contrasting color when I get too the pockets:hook

Hi Barb,

I think you will have to shorten the gusset 3 inches if you have shortened the front and back 1 1/2. The gusset will go down one side, across the bottom and back up the other side so you will need twice the amount shortened. But measuring along as you go is the easiest :yes

Also can you put me down for royal blue and black for my tote on page one?

Oh Clare, I'm horribly jealous of that ball of yarn! It's seriously exactly my favorite color!!

I've finished the gusset, and both sides and am about half done with the pocket. I found a nice fabric yesterday at WalMart when I was there to pick up a curtain rod. I just can't help going into craft sections when I'm there or at Meijers. It's a good thing Target doesn't have a craft section or I would be in REAL trouble.

I think I have enough cotton for the pockets in just the one skein of yarn, which is nice. So, I think I may exchange the other skein for something else. I also need to return the pinks I bought the other day for my SP, because I found ones I liked better online that night (it always happens like that for me) and I generally don't use pinks unless its a commission or a special present.

So, hopefully, I'll be finished with the tote at some point today!!

Judy morning to you. How exciting for you. When is the baby shower this arvo. hehe I will be in lala land. Have fun wont you.

Renee wow you have nearly finished already. Let us know how you go with the lining. I havent done that before. I wish Target did have a craft section. I wonder why they dont. One day Im going to ask them.

Well I finished my deadline project so I will be able to start this one this week sometime. I really need to work on some of my other projects so I probably won't get to it for a few days still but I'm closer to starting then I was. Everyone color combos sound so nice. I can't wait to see pictures.

Judy morning to you. How exciting for you. When is the baby shower this arvo. hehe I will be in lala land. Have fun wont you.

I have to be there at 12:30 PM...

It should be fun - the three nieces and their friends are all chatterboxes!!

Hi Barb,

I think you will have to shorten the gusset 3 inches if you have shortened the front and back 1 1/2. The gusset will go down one side, across the bottom and back up the other side so you will need twice the amount shortened. But measuring along as you go is the easiest :yes

Also can you put me down for royal blue and black for my tote on page one?

Thanks, i'll make it 3" less and see how it turns out :) I added your colors:hook

Oh Clare, I'm horribly jealous of that ball of yarn! It's seriously exactly my favorite color!!

I've finished the gusset, and both sides and am about half done with the pocket. I found a nice fabric yesterday at WalMart when I was there to pick up a curtain rod. I just can't help going into craft sections when I'm there or at Meijers. It's a good thing Target doesn't have a craft section or I would be in REAL trouble.

I think I have enough cotton for the pockets in just the one skein of yarn, which is nice. So, I think I may exchange the other skein for something else. I also need to return the pinks I bought the other day for my SP, because I found ones I liked better online that night (it always happens like that for me) and I generally don't use pinks unless its a commission or a special present.

So, hopefully, I'll be finished with the tote at some point today!!

Can't wait too see an FO pic:clap

Clare - I love that color. And whenever I look at nail polish in the store, that's the first color that I pick up. I love greens and purples on my nails, and I don't know why!?!

I finished the front and back and am now working on the gusset. There is one potential problem I've encountered. I'm using a varigated yarn and it is pooling. It did the same thing on both the front and back. Now after looking at the pattern picture again I realize that the front and back pockets will cover much of the purse so maybe the pooling won't be so noticeable. I hope not. :eek

Wendy, I'm quite glad Target doesn't have a craft section. Honestly, my budget wouldn't be able to afford it.

I am working on the straps as we speak. Just taking a break. I went to JoAnns like I said and picked up the plastic canvas. So, it's all coming together! I think I should finish tonight at work or something

Y'all are KILLING me!!!!!

I wanna see pictures!!! I'm seriously considering this one for one of my sisters, but I'd like to see some of your creations before I make a decision.....

Is it big enough really for a project bag? If so, then it will be a great bag for my mother. She's just recently gotten back into crocheting, and is very busily making blankies!!

I think I have fallen in love with this bag! And I think I am in trouble after reading this thread. I looked at it and it didn't hit me that it could be used as a diaper bag! So I think my friend is going to get this along with a knit sweater(from my aunt) and a grochet blanket. Thankfully I have till January to get it all done. I think I like the idea of stiffining the bottom too I might give that a try but I have another baby blanket to finish and I have to get some work done on my lumberjack flannel gahn since it is now wintery in NJ then I can make one of these actually I will be doing 2 one for me and one for my friend...So I look forward to joining you ladys but it won't be for a week or so.

Archived