Eight-pocket Tote CAL

barbn77

Hi all,

Cinnamin just alerted me to the fact that there is an error in the length of the pockets. All the pockets should be the same length, the main pockets say 6 inches, the side pockets say 6 1/2, 6 is correct. I really appreciate hearing about errors, thankfully they have been few and far between. I will also post this on my blog, and tell the publishers about it.

I'll be anxious to see all your bags in the wide array of color choices.

Have a good evening

Margaret

• Replies 876
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I finally got around to getting some fabric this evening and tomorrow after work (or Saturday) I WILL finish this baby :blush I also bought fabric to line the second tote I plan to make for my Mom for Christmas (maybe I'll sew the lining together when I'm doing the first one) Will post pictures when it's done :yes

Hi all,

Cinnamin just alerted me to the fact that there is an error in the length of the pockets. All the pockets should be the same length, the main pockets say 6 inches, the side pockets say 6 1/2, 6 is correct. I really appreciate hearing about errors, thankfully they have been few and far between. I will also post this on my blog, and tell the publishers about it.

I'll be anxious to see all your bags in the wide array of color choices.

Have a good evening

Margaret

Margaret - Thanks for the great pattern :hug I didn't even notice that the pockets should have all been six inches :sigh Mental note to self - don't offer to test patterns :lol I just made the pockets fit when I was joining the pieces :devil

I'm hoping to get my tote finished sometime by this wkend if possible. If/when I do, I will be posting some pics of it. I think it's going to be very pretty when it's all put together! :)

I'm also considering making a matching crochet hook holder for it which may end up being adapted from 2 or 3 different patterns by Priscilla Hewitt and the one from Sally V. George if/when I get a chance. (I still have to finish up the MP3 player holder/tote for Stacey's birthday in Sept. that I made from my own design and also have to finish up the Spiral Doily I started in the Ocean color crochet thread now that I finally have some matching thread to use.)

:hook

Cheryl (a.k.a. Cinnaminn) that does help. I may check walmart, I didn't ask last night because I think I might be okay with just fabirc as this will be a WIP bag and mostly only have yarn and a pattern book in it.

I noticed the pockets were different size, but thought they were suppose to be, so I made mine different sizes and was going to sew them on that way, with the side pockets being a half inch taller:P . Oh well, it will make it a unique bag... like they all are...

Debbi

Debbi-a1, I just bought some (Pellon)/fusible interfacing earlier today at Wal-Mart - their prices for the interfacing on a bolt start at around $1.48+ per yard, depending on the weight and if it's fusible or non-fusible (sew-in). They also have some in a bag for $.97 but I don't remember how much is in the bag.

Earlier today I got an :idea and bought some little furniture thingys to try putting on the bottom of my bag to try to help keep it from getting too dirty. I'll post more about that idea later once I get a chance to try it out and see how it works out for me. :lol I'm not too sure yet if it's a :goodorbad yet though. :scrachin:think

I also modified the button tab for my bag to make it a little smaller than what the pattern calls for due to the button(s) I want to use on the bag.

I think there may be a possible error/typo in the button tab when making the buttonhole? At least I didn't like the looks of it when I tried it as the pattern said to do so instead of doing "Work patt for 3 sts, ch 4, sk 4, work pattern for last 3 sts, ch 1, turn" - I just did that row in all sc instead of the patt.

I do have my bag put together but still have to finish crocheting around the top of it before putting the straps on it and lining it. Before I line it, I have to try out my idea with the furniture thingys first though. :lol

I've been reading the posts on this thread because I want to make this tote eventually.

Earlier today I got an :idea and bought some little furniture thingys to try putting on the bottom of my bag to try to help keep it from getting too dirty. I'll post more about that idea later once I get a chance to try it out and see how it works out for me. :lol I'm not too sure yet if it's a :goodorbad yet though. :scrachin:think:lol

Your purchase of the "furniture thingys" made me think about the little "feet" you sometimes see on store-bought totes. So, I Googled and found purse/handbag feet at this site. When I finally make the tote, I think I'll use these feet instead of the furniture things because these might be easier to use. What do you think?

PS: The totes that you've posted photos of are fabulous!! There is such tremendous talent here at the 'Ville!!

Hi Everyone, I just figured out this morning how to go back and look at all your messages. Wow - I could not read them all, but did read quite a few. I love all your bags, I especially love the innovation and that you are all using your own touches making them your own design. The wooden handles look great, I also love the royal/black combination. I would love to post pictures of all the finished bags on my blog. I'm not sure if that would be okay with all of you, or how I would accomplish it, but when you are done, we'll see what I can do.

Going back reading all the posts, there seems to be a lot of questions on lining.

Some hints on lining - I use washable felt, or polar fleece a lot as an inner lining. The edges do not fray, no need to hem all the edges, gives some body, still keeps bag soft. I also line the pieces before sewing the bag together. Cut squares, slightly smaller than your pieces, Using a hem stitch, just stitch them all around, then sew your bag together. You can choose a really bright contrasting color, or find a match. You can also add a lighter weight silkier or print fabric over the inner lining if you want.

Margaret

An update; I was looking at the Dream Weaver site and found purse/bag feet over there too. Just another source...

:yay:dance:flower Thanks for those links, hooked2! :hug Those things are exactly what I was thinking of wasn't sure where to look or what they were called. :lol I never thought about them being on purses - just was thinking about totes/luggage and furniture! :rofl I haven't had much time to do any online searching for them either since the light bulb went off. :lol

I just did a quick search and they can be found for sale at eBay if you do a search for them. You might be able to find them at Hobby Lobby stores, too. I called 1 HL store in GR and they didn't have any but the next HL store that I called in the GR area (Walker) did so I have some on hold for me to pick up today. You can also find them available for ordering online at Crafts, Etc - they're $1.47 for 4 pieces, 1/2" wide x 1" long:

A3116 Silver Foot Brad

A3116 Gold Foot Brad

I'm sure that there are other stores who have them - just have to look for stores that carry purse making hardware/accessories, I think. :)

P.S. :compute Here's another couple of links for sources to order purse feet &/or handles for bags online that are a little different than what was found earlier (these have a little washer with the feet - they cost a little more but might be better for using with the bags :think ):

Create For Less Purse Feet

Lacis.com

HTH! :hook

Not sure if I posted this info here, or if maybe someone else has already, but I was looking online to find an easy tutorial on how to do a purse/bag lining b/c I'm not that proficient when it comes to sewing. This is what I found.

Also, an update on the bag, I have 2/3rds of the 2nd strap to finish, and the button flap. I've also decided that I'm going to dye the parts of the bag blue and green, probably with stripes so the white doesn't end up looking dirty after just one use.

Ok I just came from one of my crochet group meetings and one of the ladies there made this bag. Now that I have seen it up close and in person, not just in pics I can not tell you how great this bag is. Now I just have to find more time to make this.

All the pieces are sitting in a bucket of soda ash and water for another minute or two, then I get to do the fun part and make the white yarn all different colors!! My mom never got back to me on colors, so I hope she likes it no matter how it turns out! :lol

Here it is in all it's glory - my FINISHED 8 pocket tote :clap The picture of the lining shows a bit lighter than it really is - it's closer to a dark royal/almost navy blue with black (I'll try to get a better pic of the color of the fabric in the daylight so the flash doesn't bleach it out) I ended up using a piece of plastic canvas on the bottom only. I'll also try to get a pic next week with it all full of books and what-not that I carry to classes to teach.

(Clickable pics)

th_DSC06496.jpg

th_DSC06497.jpg

Margaret - please feel free to post these pictures on your blog - I would be honored :yes PM me if you need me to email you the pics

Archived