Eight-pocket Tote CAL

barbn77

That's a terrific site - makes me want to get busy at my sewing machine again!

Saw the purse handles...curious - that's an Aussie site. How does the USD compare to that?

I was going through some of the earlier msgs/postings and thought I'd include this link for a currency converter:

http://www.xe.com/ucc/

HTH!

• Replies 876
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought it might be helpful to do a kind of quick reference thing for this CAL?!?! :think (If it is helpful, I can try to keep it updated as more info/links are available/posted.)

Eight-Pocket Two-Tone Carryall Tote pattern at Lion Brand.

For help with lining a bag/purse/tote, here are some links:

Also if you have trouble lining a bag/tote, you (we? :lol ) may want to remember that kazily offered her support to help anyone in lining their bags/totes. :):devil

From Margaret (MHDesigner):

(FYI for those who don't already know it, Margaret is the designer for this tote and the author of the Hooked Bags book as well as many others. You can find her blog here.)

"Some hints on lining - I use washable felt, or polar fleece a lot as an inner lining. The edges do not fray, no need to hem all the edges, gives some body, still keeps bag soft. I also line the pieces before sewing the bag together. Cut squares, slightly smaller than your pieces, Using a hem stitch, just stitch them all around, then sew your bag together. You can choose a really bright contrasting color, or find a match. You can also add a lighter weight silkier or print fabric over the inner lining if you want."

Also From Margaret:

Correction for the Eight-Pocket Two-Tone Carryall Tote pattern:

"there is an error in the length of the pockets. All the pockets should be the same length, the main pockets say 6 inches, the side pockets say 6 1/2, 6 is correct. I really appreciate hearing about errors, thankfully they have been few and far between. I will also post this on my blog, and tell the publishers about it."

Interfacing:

What interfacing is - for those who don't already know what it is and/or how to choose/use it.

Pellon Interfacing - another link about what interfacing is and/or how to choose the right weight to use it.

Instructions for using Pellon Interfacing

Free Interfacing Guide Chart

(FYI - you should be able to purchase interfacing at any fabric store. It is also available at Wal-Mart in their fabric dept. You can also order it online from a variety of places.)

Reinforced bottoms/purse feet:

From Amy (slicer):

"Just thinking about the reinforced bottom...

If you use plastic canvas, or a thick piece of cardboard, you could cover it with fabric on both sides, and just place it in the bottom of the bag when it is all finished to give extra support. I have several overnight bags that used this same concept, so it can be lifted to make the bag easier to fold up for storage. I might make mine this way, since it's for my mom, and she'll be using it for bingo."

Purse/handbag feet links:

From Ann (hooked2):

http://www.handbagsupplies.com/cat/purse-feet-hooks-ct.htm

Dream Weaver purse/bag feet

From my own postings about purse foot/feet brads:

eBay Search

Create For Less Purse Feet

Lacis.com

Also you may find them at Hobby Lobby stores but may have to check with some different locations in your area to find one that carries them or go to Crafts, Etc for online ordering for $1.47 for 4 pieces, 1/2" wide x 1" long: A3116 Silver Foot Brad or A3116 Gold Foot Brad

Substitutions:

FYI - I used a RH WW yarn & am also using a matching crochet thread with the yarn (995 Ocean color for MC) and Paton's Canadiana (knitting worsted wt.) in 00030 Medium Blue for the CC yarn with the Ocean color crochet thread for making my tote so it should not get too stretchy. (Cotton yarn doesn't stretch the way acrylic yarn does.)

Hook Cases/Holders:

http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/lffunt/alhookcase.htm

http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/lffunt/longhookcase.html

http://home.inreach.com/marthac/needle.html (has links for more cases/holders)

This case is my favorite pattern especially after I tweaked/adapted it to my needs/wants (& I didn't make the flower to put on the case either :lol ):

http://www.sarahanns.com/crochetworks/case.html

If you are looking for a hook case pattern to buy, you might want to take a look at Carolyn Christmas/Gourmet Crochet's pattern for one that's called "Crochet Hook Caddy" and it's available for sale from her on eBay for $7.99 + s/h. (I bought the pattern but haven't made it just yet - it's on my WIM list of things to make.)

ThUD for all of the above links!

HTH!

Here it is in all it's glory - my FINISHED 8 pocket tote :clap The picture of the lining shows a bit lighter than it really is - it's closer to a dark royal/almost navy blue with black (I'll try to get a better pic of the color of the fabric in the daylight so the flash doesn't bleach it out) I ended up using a piece of plastic canvas on the bottom only. I'll also try to get a pic next week with it all full of books and what-not that I carry to classes to teach.

(Clickable pics)

th_DSC06496.jpg

th_DSC06497.jpg

Margaret - please feel free to post these pictures on your blog - I would be honored :yes PM me if you need me to email you the pics

Karen, your bag is lovely, it is making me want to get mine all started and finished!

Here it is in all it's glory - my FINISHED 8 pocket tote :clap The picture of the lining shows a bit lighter than it really is - it's closer to a dark royal/almost navy blue with black (I'll try to get a better pic of the color of the fabric in the daylight so the flash doesn't bleach it out) I ended up using a piece of plastic canvas on the bottom only. I'll also try to get a pic next week with it all full of books and what-not that I carry to classes to teach.

(Clickable pics)

th_DSC06496.jpg

th_DSC06497.jpg

Margaret - please feel free to post these pictures on your blog - I would be honored :yes PM me if you need me to email you the pics

Wow, that looks gorgeous! Terrific job.

Finally able to post a pic of my finished tote. Between a short trip & school beginning, it has been busy.

Here is my Insulated Tote! The lining is an insulated bag lol, it worked wonderfully for going to the water park with the family. I use it for going to the pool, it will even keep a drink cold LOL... & this fall?winter I can also use it for carrying a WIP along with me.

Note, excuse the poor sewing lol, I was in a hurry to get it finished for our trip. I did a quick job. Should have used white thread instead of red haha, finished in the nick of time though.

Clicky Pics

th_tote3.jpg

th_tote4.jpg

Finally able to post a pic of my finished tote. Between a short trip & school beginning, it has been busy.

Here is my Insulated Tote! The lining is an insulated bag lol, it worked wonderfully for going to the water park with the family. I use it for going to the pool, it will even keep a drink cold LOL... & this fall?winter I can also use it for carrying a WIP along with me.

Note, excuse the poor sewing lol, I was in a hurry to get it finished for our trip. I did a quick job. Should have used white thread instead of red haha, finished in the nick of time though.

Clicky Pics

th_tote3.jpg

th_tote4.jpg

Wow, I like your colours and the insulation idea is brilliant. :yes

Wow, I like your colours and the insulation idea is brilliant. :yes

Thank you. The double insulated material was a little difficult sewing through but the inside is of this one is functional, not so much aesthetic : lol I plan to do another tote that is smaller & use a nicer lining for that one. I really like this pattern.

Hi Kazily,

Love what you did with the bag. The lining is a fabulous idea, especially for Mom's toting all kinds of kid stuff around. Love it!

Margaret

Thank you Margaret! And your design is such a wonderful, versatile pattern.:hook

I think before it's over I'll use this tote for years to come. If the lining wears out, I'll add another. :yes

And I adore lots of pockets!

Clicky Pics

th_tote3.jpg

th_tote4.jpg

Beautiful!!

Okay, I finally get a couple of hours alone with the sewing machine and my fabric...so off to get the lining in this tote! It's been way too long since I started, and I want this thing to get finished! I'll keep ya'll posted!

Almost finished...I just have to finish stitching around the edge of the lining and it will be complete! Amazing what a difference a couple of uninterrupted hours makes! This last part is actually the most time consuming, as I'm using a hidden stitch, kind of like a hem stitch, to attach the lining. It's tedious, but I know the result will be worth it. I'll be posting lots and lots of photos on my blog tomorrow to show how I did the lining...so check back then! :)

Tada! :2magic It's finished! Yay for me! I am so pleased with how this tote turned out, and all the extra little things that took so long to add are totally worth the work. It's been fun to see everyone else's progress, too. Keep those photos coming!:photo

As promised, I will be posting a tutorial/photo journal of how I "installed" the lining...but as I took a ton of pics, it's going to take me a while to get it organized and posted on my blog. But, here's the finished product anyway. Enjoy!

th_IMG_1251.jpg

th_IMG_1253.jpg

Tada! :2magic It's finished! Yay for me! I am so pleased with how this tote turned out, and all the extra little things that took so long to add are totally worth the work. It's been fun to see everyone else's progress, too. Keep those photos coming!:photo

As promised, I will be posting a tutorial/photo journal of how I "installed" the lining...but as I took a ton of pics, it's going to take me a while to get it organized and posted on my blog. But, here's the finished product anyway. Enjoy!

th_IMG_1251.jpg

th_IMG_1253.jpg

Those colours are great together, the bag is lovely. :clap

Thanks everyone, for all your kind comments! I love these CAL's!

I finally got the lining tutorial up and running here, so you can see what I did if you'd like!

I'll keep watching this thread to see how everyone's totes turn out, but now I can't wait to start another project...to put in my new tote! :lol

Thanks everyone, for all your kind comments! I love these CAL's!

I finally got the lining tutorial up and running here, so you can see what I did if you'd like!

I'll keep watching this thread to see how everyone's totes turn out, but now I can't wait to start another project...to put in my new tote! :lol

Your tutorial looks great, Cocoa Cream! :cheer:clap:)

I made sure to add a link to your tutorial in the post I made for "Quick Reference for Helpful Links/Postings for Eight-pocket Tote CAL". :D

I'm so close to finishing, but yesterday I packed up most of my stash and sent it to the attic for a few weeks while we rearrange the furniture and switch rooms around. Guess what I forgot to leave out!?!?! My ball of white cotton so I can attach all the pieces that are sitting on the sofa waiting to be connected!

How frustrating. If I get bored this week, I might just have to go digging around and find that darn yarn!

Archived