Eight-pocket Tote CAL

barbn77

Angelfire beautiful bag! You did a great job.

Granny squares for the pocket might be a good idea. If you do open ones, you may need to line then, but not sure, depending on what you want to use them for. I think. Would be cute. For the straps, another crocheter here started them from the top. However if you edged the squares in the same color, you could start the strap from the squares or eve if you didn't edge them the same color as the strap. Can't wait to see your finished project!

Debbi

PS: Mine is still a WIP. I'm finishing up some baby items for my friend right now.

• Replies 876
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow love that bag Angelfire!!

Here's mine so far. I have the front, back and gussett done. I'm pretty sure I'm going to run out of my yarn before I get the pockets done I'll have to see what to do then. :D

th_crochet223.jpg

Wow love that bag Angelfire!!

Here's mine so far. I have the front, back and gussett done. I'm pretty sure I'm going to run out of my yarn before I get the pockets done I'll have to see what to do then. :D

th_crochet223.jpg

Heather I love the colors. If you run out maybe you could use a coordinating color to make the pockets...we always have options when we have a stash :yes

Heather I love the colors. If you run out maybe you could use a coordinating color to make the pockets...we always have options when we have a stash :yes

:yes That's for sure. I thought about that. I'll have to see what I've got in my stash. Unfortunately I don't have a big stash of the cotton. I just started using it not long ago. :lol

Thanks for the coments everybody!

Last night I finished the gusset and started on the pockets. Today, I found the fabric to line it. I'm going to line the pockets, too since small things like nail files and keys tend to poke out of crochet bags if you don't line them.

Last night I finished the gusset and started on the pockets. Today, I found the fabric to line it. I'm going to line the pockets, too since small things like nail files and keys tend to poke out of crochet bags if you don't line them.

Kathy that sounds like a great idea. :clap

I finished my gusset and started my large pockets. I ended up sleeping a lot more then I thought I would on my day off, so I'm a bit behind my own schedule. Ah well, I think my body needed it!!!

Heather, nice job on your bag! :cheer

Debbie, thanks for the suggestions on how to do the handles. I am still waiting for my 99 squares book to pick out a nice square. I am crossing my fingers that it gets here tomorrow. Hopefully I can find a small one or eliminate the last rows of a larger one. I think they'd look great against a solid color side panel. I agree they'd have to be lined. I'd like to start on some of the solid pieces now but maybe I should choose a square first. I'm getting impatient to start my 2nd bag, especially since the swap is underway & I have about 2 1/2 wks before it needs to be washed, packaged & mailed. I don't want to be a last minute mailer either lol, so if I can't pick a square tomorrow I might just start on those other pieces anyway. Then I'll adapt the squares to what I have.

I did an ombre front and back and a solid gusset. For the pockets I am going to do a solid front and back and the ombre on the pockets ,and then use teh ombre for the straps. I am not sure how it will turn out.

I want to make another one in a yarn that is tight woven and wont pill such as a nylon. I want it to have some sheen to it you know. Any suggestions?

I am almost done with my 8 pocket tote. I ended up lining it with this cool skull/bandana type fabric and used plastic canvas for the lining. Now to attach the handles. I only put 6 pockets on the outside (the 2 big ones) but I added 2 inside pockets on the lining. I really like how mine is looking. I will post photos when I am finished. I need to add the handle and then send it to its new owner... since I made it for a swap.

I finished putting Tote #2 together last night. I just need to sew in the lining (well and make the lining). I am using this really nice corduroy I found at Joann's that's a chocolate brown with pink/purple flowers on it. I was hesitant at first about it because the dark blue in the yarn looks almost black, but the flowers and the yarn match perfectly and I love this material. Honestly almost bought some more when I got it home to make a skirt or something out of it. I do not have the time, alas, so I didn't.

I did find some more of the shades of green at Wal-Mart so I'm going to just do it all in that.

Wendy~ I'm using Baby green for the straps.

I'm working on the 1st strap now. I ran out of the shades of green again. :) so I will work on the straps till I can get back out to Wal-Mart.

I may not do a lining after all...though I may use plastic canvas on the bottom. I like the idea of it being covered in fabric and also removable...still working:)

I had some time yesterday & got my squares book, so I started my 2nd tote & made the front & the back panel. This time I want a smaller tote with a tight fabric, so I went all the way down to an F hook & crocheted tightly. I'm using Caron Simply Soft & I love how the panels turned out. I need to go out soon to pick out a lining fabric. Today I need to decide on a contrasting color & start on the gusset. First I chose black (& bought that color), now I'm thinking another color, a deep rose color, which I also have in stash. Ugh decisions, decisions.

Thank you for the congrats on my first new grandson. My life is slowly getting back to normal so once again I can continue on my the journey of making my tote. I am still crocheting my second panel and I can not wait to get this tote bag finish so I can use it.:hook I did order Margaret Hubert's book "Hooked Bags: 20 Easy Crochet Projects" from ecampus.com as someone in this group advise for they was the cheapest.:manyheart So you know I want to finish with this tote bag so I can go on to make more bags as gifts. Hugs and blessings to you all.:hug

I got all the pieces done and am now assembling....I was not going to line it but had a revelation and want to try it out...i'm using recycled sweaters for my bag for my step son's girlfriend studying something environmental, and i thought what better way to line it than with recycled fabric as well. Oh my gosh, this was the best!!! i went to the thrift store yesterday and found several men's shirts (XL, XXL=lots of fabric!) that will be perfect :cheer. Two are striped and will match beautifully the first bag and the contrasting, opposite bag. it's an almost "canvasy" type of fabric that will be very sturdy. I can't wait to get all the pieces put together and put in the lining now!!

Archived