Eight-pocket Tote CAL

barbn77

I'm stalled out on this project. I think it's because I'm using a thinner yarn for the second tote so it's moving a lot more slowly. However, I do have half the second side done. Really, it's a lot quicker once the sides are done!!!

• Replies 876
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like things have slowed down on this CAL in the last few days. How's everyone's progress coming?

I am doing in-service at school, which means I have more time at home...which I thought would mean I'd have more time to work on lining my tote. But alot of other more urgent projects around the house have come up, so I may have to wait until Saturday again! Oh well....

hi all, i've got about 2 or 3 rows left on my first piece...i really love the feel of the recycled yarn. i'm going to have a hard time giving this one away. but there's a ton of sweaters in my closet just dying to be unraveled ;-). I can't remember if I posted my colors, I'm using the mossy green for the MC and the dusty blue for the CC...i'm hoping to have enough of the green left to make one just the opposite. i'm sure those sweaters are going to be MUCH happier as bags!!! will try to get a picture this week, maybe friday (thursday is my "downtime" evening so i potentially have time to take one).

blessings,

I have everything sewn together now but still need to get to the store to buy fabric for the lining and a button. I found the crocheting part quick but the assembling a bit tedious. But I still plan to make one for my Mom for Christmas (in green and black). Maybe I'll make it to the store tonight or tomorrow evening and get this all finished before the weekend is over :yay (I want to use this bag to carry my books, notes and stuff to and from classes and they begin a week today)

I'm almost ready to start putting my bag together once I've finished making the 2 side pockets. :) I also still have the 2 straps to make as well but I figure I'm through the worst part of it (except for the lining :lol ).

I have my material for the lining and have it cut out but still have to cut out the lining for the gusset. The gusset, 2 side pockets, and the 2 straps are going to be done in my contrasting color as I like that scheme/plan/layout better than what the original pattern calls for. :goodorbad

I'm making my bag with one strand of RH WW yarn (Ocean color) and one strand of crochet thread (sz. 10 Ocean color) for the main color & using Paton's ww yarn in Med. Blue for the contrasting color and 1 strand of crochet thread (sz. 10 Ocean color). The crochet thread should help to keep my tote from getting too stretchy since I'm not using cotton yarn this time around. I decided to line my bag with fabric material and am going to use a fusible interfacing on the material too just to give it some extra stiffening/shape-holding help (I hope!). I'm still considering using some plastic canvas for the bottom of the tote but haven't decided on that just yet.

(I found some cute material that I couldn't resist using for the lining for MY tote - also found some adorable Care Bear material that I think I will use as the lining for if/when I make another tote for Jo (my 5 yr. old dgd). Her tote will be done in cotton yarn though & I've already bought that yarn too! :) I may even try making a tote for Stacey (my soon-to-be 14 yr. old dgd - her birthday is Sept. 21. Both totes for the girls would be meant for/as Xmas presents this yr or possibly bday presents for NEXT yr though! :lol )

I will try to take some pics of what I've got done so far when I get a chance. I'm also going to try to take some pics of how I do the lining for it. It's been a long while since I've done any sewing with my sewing machine though.

Hi everyone, I only have an inch and a half to do then I am finish with my first panel and will begin on my second panel. Yesterday I was very busy trying to learn how to post photos on line so I will be able to show you my finished tote bag. :hook I love crocheting this tote and can't wait to begin making another one, but first I have to get this one finish. :devil As a crocheter I find myself wanting to join all the Cal on the ville, and I am learning to tame the crochet beast within me and to work on and finish one to two projects at a time. :yes It is hard to do but I want to see the end result of a finish product. Just rumbling. LOL :manyheart

I found some great stuff to "stiffen up" my tote. Anyone else going to use pellen? Its a thick almost plastic like material. Found some really thick stuff at Joanns (it comes in varying stiffnesses (good Lord, is that even a word???) for different projects) it's machine washable too. I think the plastic canvas will wear a hole in my tote... jmo.

I've been so busy with going back to school I haven't had much time to post or crochet, but I'm still working on this one!!

I finally will get to start my tote. I snuck some cotton in even though I hadn't finished my rug yet. I hope to start tomorrow, I sure could use another tote for this weekend. Don't think I'll get it done for that though :no

Well I finished 2 other projects that weren't a rush but had the yarn. I need to finish a little ending on one baby blanket, the start another one because she's having twins and she's my best friend so I want to give her 2 (plus some other items). And this bag would be so nice to carry the afghan around in... but it won't be done as I'm going to buy the yarn tonight because I need it done. Of course if I get tired of crocheting :lol I can cut some lining and sew it.

I haven't heard of Pellen. I don't have a joanns near by (not even close). I wonder if a fabric store would have it (doubt walmart would or even if the clerk woudl know what it is, but maybe).

And nope, you can never heave enough totes.

Debbi

I'm in on this! I started it last night using Red Heart in Pink Camo as the MC, and I'll use one of the Red Heart solid pinks as the CC.

Looks fun. =)

I'm happy to see everyone join in on this. It is my pattern from my booked Hooked Bags. Lion Brand has asked permission to post it as a free pattern because I made it in their yarn. Hope everyone has fun making it.

Margaret

Margaret, thanks for the great pattern!

I'm still working on the gusset...I'm really slow at this one for some reason, but I've been busy reading instead of crocheting.

Evening everyone, I finally have the first panel done and I started the next panel. Hurray for me :cheer :cheer Wow the designer of this tote is on this site, Thanks Margaret for such a wonderful and fun pattern to crochet. Your book "Hook Bags: 20 Easy Crochet Projects" is one of the books on the top of my book list to buy. Again nice meeting you Margaret. Hugs and Blessings to everyone and keep hooking. :hook

Okay maybe someone has done this and I've missed it or forgot about it. I carry around a little notebook and saw a canvas tote and thought it would make a crochet tote, the way it was designed. So I drew it. And it would work perfect for this tote.

The pockets and strap are the same color. The front & back & gusset are the same color.

Maybe could work. The canvas tote "pocket" part was actually the bottom, but looking at my really bad drawing, it looks like this tote, almost. So it may be an idea for someone...

Debbi

I really want to make this bag! I have Margarets book and really love it! I can't quite start on the CAL yet, although I have the yarn for it! I have a blanket I need to finish for a baby shower that is coming up soon.

:welcome to Crochetville, Margaret! :):flower

Your book is great and I love it! Your web site is great too! :clap

Debbi-a1, Pellon is what I'm using as a fusible interfacing with the lining in my tote. Wal-Mart should have it in their fabric dept. or any fabric store should have it as well. There is a free Interfacing Guide Chart here if you want to take a look at it.

HTH! :hook

Archived