Using Regular WW for baby items?

I know there's baby yarn that's supposed to be better and softer for making items for babies, but I'm all out and didn't want to go get more when I have a ton of regular WW yarn in my stash. Do you think it would be okay to make a baby afghan with that? I know it usually softens up when it's washed, but I didn't know if it would be okay...

Honestly, if I were the recipient of a baby blanket made from WW, I probably wouldn't use it until the baby was a toddler. Use your WW for something else and go buy the baby yarn. Everyone will be happier.

If it's Caron Simply Soft or one of the other "soft" acrylics, go ahead and use it. I've had wonderful results making baby things with those...

Until the past few months, I rarely bought anything but RHSS and I have never had a complaint from a Mom that received it. Even my SIL, who is SUPER picky about her daughter, never said a word about it being "too rough" or "scratchy". I even used it on my son when he was a baby with no problems. Of course, that was over 14 years ago. ;)

It is possible they ran it through the dryer to soften it up first and didn't tell me. It also depends on how "finicky" the recipient's parents are. :)

I've used WW and Caron SS for baby blankets and clothes. I wash them first to soften the ww items up and so far I've had no complaints about it. I too have more ww yarn then I have baby yarn and I just made a baby dress(in babies and children show and tell) out of RH WW yarn and the babys' mom asked can I make her another in the soft yarn I used. So it really depends on the recipient and in my case the financial part of it b/c baby yarn cost more then ww yarn. So when I can't get baby yarn I'll use Caron SS or RH WW.

I use Red Heart all the time for baby afghans, never had anyone complain that it wasnt soft enough.

I dont quite understand why people think that Red Heart is so scratchy. Yes, it's stiff when you first start using it from the skein, but once you're finished with the project and you toss it into the dryer with a dryer sheet, it softens up so nicely. The yarn seems to puff up a bit once the dryer gets it nice and warm.

If I'm making a gift, I wash or at least put the item in the dryer to soften it up before I give it to the recipient. I used to always wash it, mostly because I had a dog and didnt want any possible allergens on the item, but now that I dont have a dog any more, I only wash the item if I accidentally got it dirty or if I had a cold while working on it. I always put it in the dryer to soften it up once I'm finished.

I'm only recently (within the last year) starting to branch out into yarns other than Red Heart (probably because I've learned to knit, and I guess I'm becoming a bit of a yarn snob myself) but I've always gone back to Red Heart for most of my projects, mostly because it's inexpensive, and it's always been a good yarn for me.

RHSS and I have never had a complaint from a Mom that received it. It is possible they ran it through the dryer to soften it up first and didn't tell me. It also depends on how "finicky" the recipient's parents are. :)

Same here. I've used RHSS for years, occassionally using a different brand ifI felt up to it. Usually the baby yarn that was available was too hard for me to work with (but I could work with thread:think ) and the softer ones wasn't readily available.

If you have some on hand that feels soft before washing, it should be fine after.

And my last baby blanket was with my stash (used 2 different shades of blue and a white) and it turned out really nice and the first time mom loved it.

Debbi

Made and given many a blankie in worsted weight. Hasn't been a problem...only thing is if you want to make something that requires a particular gauge, then you have to be careful cuz substituting worsted for baby weight will only fit a hulk of a baby~!;)

I think good quality WW is fine unless it's the really cheapy, cheap stuff that's pretty squeaky when you work with it. :eek

If these are for "first time" moms, I'd stick with the baby yarn.

I think parents who are expecting their 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. child tend to be less "picky" about that sort of thing. ;) I know that certainly applied to me. :yes

Cheryl.

My mother only buys the cheapest yarn, as it's all she can afford. She's made five or six blankets for my kids over the years, all in this cheap yarn, and they wash up very nice.

I say go ahead & make it in your WW yarn even if it's scratchy (we all seem to be missing that yarn weight and yarn softness aren't the same thing), just be sure to put it through the laundry before gifting it.

Which part of the country is the baby who will be receiving this blankie? If it's in the Northern States, then worsted weight is just fine. But is the baby in say Florida or other southern States? Then use a lighter weight baby yarn.

The reason I am thinking about this is that I am currently making a very lacy afghan that will be traveling down to Florida and the sender and I both looked for a good yarn that won't be too hot. You want to match the climate with the weight of the yarn.

Now, in Chicago, a heavy blanket is a welcome gift.

Just something to think about.

:manyheart

Thanks, everyone, for your replies. I am making the hooded baby blanket that is on the Pound of Love wrapper. The WW yarn I have in my stash doesn't feel much different than the Pound of Love and I think that since the baby will be born in late September/early October, that yarn and pattern might be okay. I'll be sure to wash it and run it through the dryer to get it softened up. I did the first couple rows and realized that the gauge is a little bigger, but two more inches shouldn't matter much with a blanket, right?

I've used WW on tons of baby blankets. For years that's all I had access to. Not one single mom, first time or otherwise, complained.

I didn't try to make tiny receiving blanket types and still don't. I usually add an inch or three to the blanket. I much prefer the blanket to last them years than just a few months. If it's too big now, it makes a perfect mat to lay baby on the floor, bed, or couch on. Even in 'hot' states they're usuable because most houses, stores, etc are air conditioned to north pole temps.

If that's all you have and you don't want to buy more yarn, than I say go for it.

:)

I make baby afghans all the time, and the majority of them are made out of WW. I have never had any complaints about it being scratchy. I also wash every item before I give to a person. Once WW is washed it seems to soften up. :hook

I just made a baby blanket for my sister's baby in Caron 1 lb. and I think it turned out just fine. Not too scratchy at all. Besides, most people are going to be more touched that you went out of your way to make them something so nice than that you used the softest baby yarn ever. At least, that's the reaction I've gotten.

I have used RHSS for everything. It is inexpensive and thats all I can afford most fo the time. Plus it is easy to work with! I have used it for everything and have had no complaints. My mother has made several blankets for me and my kids growing up. I have a blanket that is almost 20 years old and very well used and still in great condition. My daughters blanket (baby yarn) has seen better days.

The reason I am thinking about this is that I am currently making a very lacy afghan that will be traveling down to Florida and the sender and I both looked for a good yarn that won't be too hot. You want to match the climate with the weight of the yarn.

I think alot of notherners (I am born and raised NJ) have this notion that it does not get cold enough in FL to require a heavy blanket. I have been in FL for 10 years and it DOES get cold enough to require a jacket!! We had FLURRIES last winter in Central FL!!! Hat and scarf maybe not...Babies need warm blankets no matter what part of the country they are from. My FL born daughter wears a sweater ALL year long. The airconditioners in the summer are set to artic.

Depends on where the baby lives. In Winterville, or further south it's going to be too warm for most of the year. (I'm from Beaufort, so know the climate!) If the baby is from Minnesota, South Dakota or another state that really has winter, go for it. The latest thinking has parents NOT using snowsuits, but putting blankets over the child in the car and stroller.

The latest thinking has parents NOT using snowsuits, but putting blankets over the child in the car and stroller.

I live in SD and when my son was a year old, he didn't FIT in the car seat with a snowsuit on, or any heavy jacket!! Nor in a booster seat later on. So a blanket was what I had to do! :)

We have a drive-in movie theater not far away and the first movie was in...April? We saw "Night at the Museum" and "Norbit" and bundled up under whatever we could find to bring with!! :lol Not to mention running the heater every 20 minutes or so...it was COLD!!

Even living in Hawaii, baby blankets came in handy! It seems the more temperate the climate, the more likely shopkeepers are to crank the AC up to max. I've always found that blankets are one thing you can't have too many of (nor can they be too big), because if nothing else they're great play mats. And, frankly, we've had to use them as impromptu changing pads in more than one public restroom.

Archived