Where is the weirdest place you have stashed yarn or thread?

I have covered baskets in my livingroom that I use for balls of thread, but there is a table next to my chair with a long skirted topper that I put containers of yarn under that noone can see but is near me to use...

What places have you stashed your yarn and thread where no one would think to look?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mine is my cabinet at work! It's so DH doesn't realize I bought 9 more skeins of yarn! So I brought home one at a time until the bag was empty and my home container was full. Pretty sneaky, ehh?

:lol

:manyheart

I have some antiques that were my grandparents' - a copper boiler/canner and a 10 gallon Redwing crock - that I have full of yarn and thread. If I could manage to get the lid off the cream can, I'd fill that too! ;) The rest of my yarn is in normal storage - totes and bags.

I have my latest yarn purchases in an old picnic basket. Last night my daughter asked if she could use the basket for an outing! Dern...now I need I new emergency stashing spot! Hurry up ladies and post some more sneaky ideas!! Oh wait, I do have that large red bin in the back of my closet labeled "Christmas" (hey, I have both red and green yarn in there so technically it's true)that one has been foolproof!

:rofl

how about in a bathtub? that's where my stash is (we have another bath..lol)

I keep mine in bags in the back part of the cab of my extended cab pickup under a tarp. I keep buying more thread and don't want the wife to know so I stash it out in the truck. She never goes there. Then I just bring it in one ball at a time as I need it. I probably have about three of four dozen stashed there because I seem to always find some more on sale when I'm out shopping. Deep down I know that one of these days I'm going to get caught. Oh well...

I do not keep much of a stash on hand in the house....I really don't need to. My LYS is only about 200 feet from my front door! But whatever project I am currently working on is always laying around the television room. Everyone who knows me, knows of my love for crochet, and they are not surpruised seeing my latest WIPs! What little stash I do have (about a garbage bag sized plastic bag of yarn and a smaller plastic bag of thread and a really large bag of plastic bags for making plarn) are stored in my bedroom closet!

I have some old diaper pails in my basement, where I keep part of my stash. For some of you young people, years ago we used cloth diapers and after we flushed them we kept the wet diapers in the pail until we washed them. Don't worry, they have been thoroughly washed and sanitized. Besides they are over 40 years old, like my children.

in my underwear drawer of my dresser - my old roommate was a knitter who would take my yarn without my permission and use it so I started to place my skeins of yarn in between my underwear in hopes that it would deter her from taking it. sadly, that didn't deter her and I couldn't stand it anymore so I moved out...

I have mine scattered all over. I have some in the motorhome.....one closet just for yarn and thread, at the cabin I have two totes that have yarn and thread in them, at home we have a four bedroom house and it is in all the spare bedrooms, yarn in one and thread in another...just in bags or totes or drawers or wherever I can find to stick them. I have lots of baskets and keep yarn/thread in them..... so not weird places, just all over...LOL

• 1 month later...

1. I am surprised just how many are stashing yarn/thread from spouses :devil
  2. How many have multiple places :yes
  3. How I am not alone anymore! :hug

I also didn't realize how many men crocheted too! It is just wonderful.

Thank you for all your great answers and I am jelous of LadyCrochat for having a store so close!

I still would like to take the dust protector off from the bottom of both my loveseat and couch and stuff yarn in that = then place velcro along the frame - when I need yarn hey there it is

Otherwise I have it stashed in totes, trunk of my car, work (large box behind my file cabinet) closet, luggage not in use....

I guess I'll continue to view this thread to see if I can find newer places :devil

I have a huge 8 foot closet so put all my clothes on shelves, plus bags of yarn, most of my scrapbooking supplies, as well as other stuff in there. The four bottom drawers of my dresser all filled with yarn, as well as a bin under the bed. Plus bags randomly around the house. We have a camper so one cabinet there is filled with yarn. Oh, and I have a box labeled baby stuff in one of my daughter's closets cause I know he won't look in there, lol. If I need to, I can store yarn under my fish tank. It is a 35 gallon hexagon tank on an enclosed stand so he'd never look there (btw, there are no fish, it is filled with beanie babies, lol)

I live in a testosterone zone what with my husband and two boys so I get razzed all the time about my yarn stash.

I have found that if I want to "hide" yarn, all I have to do is put it in a box marked "Mom's Dolls" or "Mom's old dance dresses". The boys (hubby included) steer clear of these "Girlie boxes".

Marie :devil

In my livingroom behind an endtable. I left a bag there for about 15 years and just found it this year when I painted the room.:heehee I really do clean...the table is up against a wall and I never moved it and forgot the yarn was there!

• 5 months later...

in my underwear drawer beside my bed...i crochet in bed while my fiance is showering and when we go to bed i don't wanna get up to put it up and i can't leave it out because my cat love yarn so i just stuff it in the drawer...lol

Archived