Where is the weirdest place you have stashed yarn or thread?

I stash my yarn in a drawer in my com room very untidy... but planning on getting my great granmothers butter churn out of storage and using it that way I can put my yarn in and pull from the hole in the top ( where the paddle should go)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have some in the cedar chest that we never go into becouse there are kids toys piled in front and on top of it, (there are also some books and the sheets I use for backgrounds when I take nice pics of the kids) and some by the bed in a tub and on the sewing table, and if I find the yarn cheap for the afghan I want to make my dh I will put it in bags behind the drawers of our bed (the drawers are about 1/3 the way in on both sides 2 drawers high so plenty of space there)

My husband's old flightbag currently holds my WIPs - it has lots of pockets all over it for the notions, and very roomy inside for LOTS of Yarn ( I kept 12 Pounders in there at one point for a Flannelghan.)

Weirdest place though has to be an old infant carseat (the reclining kind)- it let the yarn unroll as I used it without having it go everywhere.

• 2 weeks later...

In Rubbermaid containers, some in totes, in various corners of the living room and bedroom, and a couple sacks stacked behind the sewing machine. I haven't counted how many I have in stash, but some of the totes and sacks contain WIP's that I do intend to finishing some day. At last count, there were 7 or 8 of those... and maybe four that I work on every day.

I found myself "hiding" some new yarn the other day... knowing full well that my hubby would never say a word about it. He doesn't care how much of it I collect. The only thing he might say is, when are you going to get around to making something out of all of it, and then he would laugh. BECAUSE, he is just about as bad with all his wood he has stacked up!

I have now given up on trying to find all my yarn and put them in the boxes you get free from USPS and just not seal them. I have labeled them by color or type. I have half a wall full. :yarn DH about died when I took them all out from hiding but I did explain that they are not full. That they are just organized by mostly color... I then opened one that only had 2 skeins in it and he was happy. :devil I just didn't say they were all full but only 1 or 2 boxes... I did post resently about using space bags that are found at WalMart. You can squish your yarn down to nothing and hide if under the bed or in drawers. I am thinking of doing that and just get 1 colored bin that I can just put them in like leafs of paper. Then I can just go through them and reseal once I get out what I need. :yes

I keep mine in bags in the back part of the cab of my extended cab pickup under a tarp. I keep buying more thread and don't want the wife to know so I stash it out in the truck. She never goes there. Then I just bring it in one ball at a time as I need it. I probably have about three of four dozen stashed there because I seem to always find some more on sale when I'm out shopping. Deep down I know that one of these days I'm going to get caught. Oh well...

I have to admire you!! Not only do you crochet but you crochet with thread and you do doilies. I figured if a man crocheted it would be with yarn and a big needle as their hands are sooo much larger. I also figured they would have learned the skill later in life, not so young for fear of being teased by the other boys. So I say "Hats off to you and Kudos"

Have you posted your work somewhere? I would love to see it.

My husband's old flightbag currently holds my WIPs - it has lots of pockets all over it for the notions, and very roomy inside for LOTS of Yarn ( I kept 12 Pounders in there at one point for a Flannelghan.)

Weirdest place though has to be an old infant carseat (the reclining kind)- it let the yarn unroll as I used it without having it go everywhere.

what is a flannelghan?

I've got a big rubbermaid tote that is packed to the brim, and another smaller one that I couldn't get the lid on if I tried. Then I have a little white basket with wheels (which, when I last checked would hold about 20 skeins) that has current WIPs in it. That one I actually left over at my mothers house a looooooong time ago and it got lost amongst her stuff. She found it a month ago and gave it back, complete with the two WIPs I couldn't find for almost a year!

• 4 weeks later...

Apparently I put a couple skeins in a grocery bag, along with a couple of old hooks, and for whatever reason stuck them way up on the shelf above the washer and dryer in the laundry room.

I only know this because I found the bag this week! I have no idea when I did this but hey it made for a nice surprise!

I have now given up on trying to find all my yarn and put them in the boxes you get free from USPS and just not seal them. I have labeled them by color or type. I have half a wall full. :yarn DH about died when I took them all out from hiding but I did explain that they are not full. That they are just organized by mostly color... I then opened one that only had 2 skeins in it and he was happy. :devil I just didn't say they were all full but only 1 or 2 boxes... I did post resently about using space bags that are found at WalMart. You can squish your yarn down to nothing and hide if under the bed or in drawers. I am thinking of doing that and just get 1 colored bin that I can just put them in like leafs of paper. Then I can just go through them and reseal once I get out what I need. :yes

Those bags are awesome! But be warned, they need to be kept flat and not standing on end. Otherwise somehow air ends up back in :think

I have a 3 sterlite container's under my bed - 2 long and 1 short/square. The short one has my thread, but not all of it since I ran out of room in that container. One long one has my cross stitch stuff and the other has my fun fur types that I got for $1 each! plus some Christmas yarns. I also have two storage drawer things. One has 2 deep drawers and 1 has 4 shallow drawers. The deep one is stuffed with yarn and I need to work on putting stuff in the shallow one. It currently holds my pattern books, picture frames (they were cheap too!) and my bath and body stuffs since I have no storage space.

My WIP's are usually in the living room on my loveseat. The furniture I got is about 44inches wide (I LOVE it!) but no one can sit on the love seat because of all the yarn on it :lol Oh well, it's a good thing my chair fits 2 people.

I store yarn in zippered corduroy pillow cases; everyone thinks that they are cushions on the couch. I pull out the bottom drawer of dresser, put in a layer of yarn and put the drawer back in. If need be I put cardboard in front of opening to close it off. Hubby once asked about the cardboard....told him that it was so that the dust bunnies didn't escape LOL. Empty suitcases and even purses, a skein in each stored shoe. I have casserole dishes that are rarely used and a couple of huge crock pots, and they are full. I store bits and pieces in garbage pails with lids. She with the most yarn wins!!!!!

I have to hide my yarn from my daughters, not my husband. He's given up on me, I think. I usually hide mine in a cabinet that's built into my dresser. They're not allowed to look there, so it's safe - until I pull it out for a project!

Under the bathroom sink, but it was by accident. I put the yarn bag under the sink, and put the bag with the tampons in the yarn box when i got back from the store. Discovered the mistake a week later, at a bad time, if ya know what i mean.

I have some handspun hanging on an expanding cup rack on the wall, some in totes, baskets, hat boxes, a suitcase, and shelves. A couple of years ago I had purposefully managed to used practically all of my stash of basic chain store brand acrylic yarn and wanted to build a stash of natural fibers. I crowed about using up the acrylic so much that DH's gift to me that year was a HUGE plastic box full of new acrylic yarn! Still haven't used that up!:D

I have now bought some space bags but haven't used them yet... trying to figure out where to put them once filled. Took one out and saw I should have gotten the little bags so that I could be more organized... I will take the advised to mark the bags once filled too!

Love hearing all the places people stash their stash too!

:crochetingFor years I,ve stashed in all the pleases. now i have them right were i can see every wonderful color---stacked on the shelves of a tall book case. it's decorative and i can see at a glance what i have and what i need. the most unusual way i used my stash was to block off between the front and back of a van we were making a move in. it was winter and we had little money for gas. the heater was kept on low. we were comfortable and didn't wast any heat.I would not have been able to take all that yarn if i hadn't come up with that idea.

:crochetingFor years I,ve stashed in all the pleases. now i have them right were i can see every wonderful color---stacked on the shelves of a tall book case. it's decorative and i can see at a glance what i have and what i need. the most unusual way i used my stash was to block off between the front and back of a van we were making a move in. it was winter and we had little money for gas. the heater was kept on low. we were comfortable and didn't wast any heat.I would not have been able to take all that yarn if i hadn't come up with that idea.

Now that is a novel idea... to be kept warm from yarn BEFORE it was made into a sweater or blanket!

For some of you young people, years ago we used cloth diapers and after we flushed them we kept the wet diapers in the pail until we washed them.

Some of us still use cloth diapers! ;) Did on DD, definitely planning on using them for the second kiddo that's on the way. ;)

I keep some of my yarn stash in my daughter's old crib. :lol She never slept in it--I worked nights when she was brand new, and my husband preferred to have her closer to him, in our room, because he's a heavy sleeper and was afraid that he wouldn't hear her if she cried. So, while she was an infant, she slept in a co-sleeper next to our bed. Then, when she was old enough, we put her in a toddler bed in our room, next to our bed. Now she's got her own bed in her own room.

But, now we have a baby on the way, in a small townhouse, and the kids will have to share a room. And, well, I never got around to taking her crib down--it makes fantastic stuffed animal storage. And...well, yarn storage, too. :lol I guess I'll have to find a new place come October! :lol

• 2 weeks later...

I have an old baby doll crib that I had when I was litte. I put a blanket in it so the yarn wouldn't fall through and filled it up. Then I hid it in my closet.

I really love reading this and finding out where other people stash their stuff :manyheart. I had yarn and thread stashed in my attic, bedroom, hall closet, spare bedrooms, living room, kitchen and under the stairs next to the hot water heater. :eek My daughter just started crocheting again and is learning to knit she has raided my hiding places. Guess I have to find new and better places to put my stash :devil.

I have even gone so far as to pop a skein or two under my side of under the bathroom sink behind my toiletries. Mwaahahaha. NO little hidey hole is safe from the yarn fairy in this house!

T-

PS come to think of it, I bought a few skeins of yarn just tonight and I need to figure out where I'm going to put the so that they seem to have been there all along. LOLLLLLL!

PS2 Michaels has various Red Heart Symphony yarns on clearence for $3!!! I got Earth Brown, Redwood and Charcoal hehe

• 5 months later...

I don't have any "wierd" places. I do have a skiens in my trunk of my car. Hey you never know! :yes Most of mine are in bags and in the closet (if they're not being worked on and I'm organized that day:blush). If I had a better place, like bookcase or out in the open that would be nice.

Debbi

Archived