Squiggly-Wiggly CAL

Krakovianka

All you guys are doing great! The color combinations are turning out so good. I still have yet to get half way thru mine. On round 6 - have not had much time for crochet fun lately. Life gets in the way - wish it would stop that!! lol Maybe this weekend I can get some time to work on my squiggly some more. In the meantime, keep SQUIGGLING!!! :)

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got a progress pic on my blog. Some time soon when I don't have two little ones helping me I'll figure out how to do pics here, but for the time being , if you're interested at least it made it off the camera and onto the internet! :lol:clap

Oh, Kathy, that's so pretty! I have another finished squiggly to share, too. I finished it this weekend, as I said I would, but didn't get pictures into the computer until today (and I'm posting them all over c'ville--hee hee).

I love the colors of the one you finished, and I bet this rainbow one is going to be spectacular! What a nice array of colors you have to work with!

Here's my second finished project. The first (very colorful) squiggly was "Fiesta," and I think this one is "Flame Job."

IMG_0704.jpg

Just a question really.... I bought the book for this and I have one almost done. But, I didn't realize that you have to do the squigglies in a certain pattern all around. I just did random. I'm not liking that too much . How do you start the center? Do all the other rows follow into the pattern from the center row? Like are you making a U shape as you go along??

Please help!

Texasredhead...The ones we have been making here definitely follow a pattern. Post number 1 has a link to the pattern, although it's not perfectly clear. You begin with the black line in the center, crochet your dc around the posts indicated, then close the ring (sl in the first dc) and tie off before beginning the next round. It is like working "u's" over the tops of the previous round. Your second round will follow the GRAY line on that pattern. It's very easy to think that the black lines are all you follow, but those are only the odd-numbered rounds. Between them...follow the gray lines. Only the corners are really different. (Check out post 94 for an excellent example to see how the rounds are worked.)

Which brings me to Deb. Your squiggly colors look fantastic, and you will be able to finish your project, but you are going to have to adapt. I looked at yours a long time, and I think the first two rows are in pattern, and beginning with the 3rd row, you didn't work the corner (which involves working around all four posts of one block) according to the pattern, which set you up for future rounds to be "off."

Take a look at post 108 to see a WIP--you should have an even line of unfinished mesh in a square around your work. Don't take out what you've done, though--just start brainstorming ways to fill in those corners, and feel free to ask for ideas. I'm doing one in free-form, so I know it can be made to work.

This is a good summer project, and I'm enjoying everyone's squiggle-work!

Ok, quick question, has anyone done one of these using size 5 thread?

I found a ball of "Lily Big Deal", color "mistletoe" and I thought this would be perfect to make up to give as a "hostess" gift at Christmas time.

Size 5 thread would work great. You really can make one of these in anything from worsted weight on down...(I'm using two strands of size 30 held together!).

You might want to read through some of the early posts, where I shared a lot of information about making a grid to fit the pattern. You can't just make any size...

Another good suggestion is to use a hook one size smaller for the grid than you use for the dc squigglies. (This helps your project look fuller.)

You can make 3, 4, or 5 dc on each post--whichever works best for your thread/yarn and hook. I've done 4 and 5, and they both worked. With thicker material, like yarn, you can get by with 3. Hook size probably makes a difference here, too.

We'll be glad to help any way we can, and we'll be more than happy to see what your squiggle looks like when it's finished!

Thanks Krakovianka. I did re-read all the posts, to look for the answer to my question first, but didn't see it mentioned if anyone had used size thread. I also loved the fact that you worked out all the "math" for us! I will be using the pattern this time {I didn't have a pattern when I started my first one!} I'm going to "play" with it and see what works better, 3, 4, or 5 dc around the posts. I will let you know if I have any more questions.

Thanks for the hlep. I'm going to finish my random one and then start another one for real this time. My book does not go over this clearly about where to start and there diagram is all in pastels and I can't tell where the rows start. I like your directions much better!!! I hope I can do it!!!

I love this pattern. I did my first thread crochet piece last year and was pleasantly surprised at how much I love working with the thread. I found some double stranded thread today and plan to try making a hot pad using that. I am also going to try crocheting the squiggles on the diagonal across the cloth instead of center out. I will try to post a photo when I have something worth showing.

Welcome to Crochetville, Snooze, and welcome to the squiggly-wiggly CAL. I think your idea of crocheting across the diagonals will work fine, and is a lot more practical if you are working in a single thread color. I'm doing a free-form squiggly (there is a progress pic somewhere in this thread), and I plan out my work along the diagonals.

You could make diagonal stripes with your method, too! Hmmm :think :think:think !

I was hoping to get some different ideas about design for these, as the pattern as given can't be the only thing you can do with this!

I love this pattern. I did my first thread crochet piece last year and was pleasantly surprised at how much I love working with the thread. I found some double stranded thread today and plan to try making a hot pad using that. I am also going to try crocheting the squiggles on the diagonal across the cloth instead of center out. I will try to post a photo when I have something worth showing.

Hi and Welcome! I can hardly wait to see what you come up with. Doing it on the diagonal is a new concept to us. Be sure to post pics!

I am still working on my red/white/blue, but must attend to my scrapghan this evening. I have the two outer rows to finish and hope to have it done by the end of the weekend. Everyone else's looks wonderful - what a creative bunch you are.

Hi all! I just quickly read over the new posts since I was here last. To those who are asking about the pattern for the squiggle, I agree with Krakovianka that in post #94 by Maria, you can really see the lines the squiggle takes.

I am glad you all like my colors---I feel like I have very limted choices to work from, so you made me feel like i am doing okay with them. Guess i would like to have a palette of 5 or 6 shades of each color to play with. Ah well, it aint happenin with thread from Walmart-Hobby Lobby-Michaels, that's for sure!

i did a couple swatches before I started my first one to try different lines for the squiggles, but I decided that what I like is the corners where you have the extra square, and especially the way the ruffle lies on the last corner. (sorry if I am repeating myself there)

Tammy i do not understand your question about the direction of the double crochets...are you asking about the mesh or the squiggle? If the squiggle my post above, #112 I think, might help.

Tammy i do not understand your question about the direction of the double crochets...are you asking about the mesh or the squiggle?

Sorry for the confusion. I was asking about the squiggly part. When you are looking at it from the side, {say with it in your hand held at eye level}, do you see the front or the back of the dc stitches? {does this make sense, or is it even more confusing???}

I really need to get started on my Squiggly--as soon as I finish my brother's wedding gift--honest!

In answer to the question above about the direction of the dc, it's going to change depending on which direction you're working. If you follow the original pattern and work sort of around, the dc may face top, bottom, right or left.

Yep the direction changes as you work around the turns in the grid. See my post #112 above for a tip.

Ladies, I am sad to say I must sign off...am going to be without computer access for a couple weeks...unless I find another to use--will check in if I get that chance. I feel like an addict going cold turkey...but I think I can do it!

Must...walk...away...from...computer...now..... :scared :scared

See you later!:hook :hook :hook :hook

Which brings me to Deb. Your squiggly colors look fantastic, and you will be able to finish your project, but you are going to have to adapt. I looked at yours a long time, and I think the first two rows are in pattern, and beginning with the 3rd row, you didn't work the corner (which involves working around all four posts of one block) according to the pattern, which set you up for future rounds to be "off."

Take a look at post 108 to see a WIP--you should have an even line of unfinished mesh in a square around your work. Don't take out what you've done, though--just start brainstorming ways to fill in those corners, and feel free to ask for ideas. I'm doing one in free-form, so I know it can be made to work.

This is a good summer project, and I'm enjoying everyone's squiggle-work!

That's so funny, because I keep thinking that it looks "off", but I couldn't quite figure out what I'd done. That's what I get for thinking that this would be a good thing to work on while watching TV! :rofl Apparently I don't quite have the powers of concentration to, you know, follow a pattern under those conditions. :hook I'll have to sit down and take a good look at it today and see if I can figure a remedy.

I saw a round Squiggly-Wiggly yrs ago. The woman told me you do 8 sc into a ch 2 beginning, then work sc in BLs only spiral like, and adding increases each rnd (basic circle). When you get the size you want, you join the last rnd, ch 2, turn and work 4 (5?) dc in the FLs, spiraling back to the center. She made hers with rug yarn and made bedside mats. I like the square ones too.

Ellie 13

I another thread somewhere, they were talking about crocheting reusable Swiffer Mop pads. Do you think if you made a rectangle and did the squiggly part in rows, then made sc crochet sides, it would work as a Swiffer pad? The pads they showed were flat, with squiggles it might pick more dust.

Ellie 13

Ellie...I would love to see a round squiggly like that! Thank you for telling us about it. Maybe the adventurous will give it a try.

Jana...Your squiggly is looking good. On my computer, it looks green. Is it green? That's my favorite color!

And the swiffer thing...I can imagine that working pretty well. I saw a dust-mop cover that was a bunch of crocheted curls (you know--make a chain, then 3sc in each chain). It would take FOREVER to make all those curls. I can imagine a swiffer cover working up pretty quickly in ww cotton. Why not go for it? (Makes me want to go buy another swiffer...kids broke the handle on mine...)

Archived