Squiggly-Wiggly CAL

Krakovianka

I think playing around with the number of double crochets on each post is a good idea. I was doing just 3, as the pattern said, and after a few rounds, I wasn't happy with how "open" in all looked (using thread, remember). I started doing 5dc per post, which made a nice, thick, ruffle, and I like it much better. Of course, I didn't go back and redo the earlier part. This first project is just going to be "different."

I'm learning!

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm under a deadline right now and can't join, but I have been looking at this book on wiggly crochet from Annie's Attic for some time now. I will be keeping an eye on this CAL and I may even be able to join after the said deadline. Now I have a free pattern thanks to this CAL (and also the beautiful work by sleevelessinsu) and I can try it out first to see if I like it. Thanks!

All are welcome! I hope lots of people join the squiggle-a-long. The world needs more squiggy-wigglies. :) Even you have to wait a bit before you start...join a bit later. I'm planning a number of projects, including an ongoing "scrap squiggle" to use up bits of left over color.

I'm really looking forward to seeing squiggles in yarn as well as on scarves or whatever you put them on.

I still haven't started mine :( this great pattern s sitting there looking at me, begging me to make it, but i have to wait a few more days :) I ll be here looking at all your progress till I find a bit of time to start on mine :manyheart

OK. So I thought that I was following the pattern. And I was really really excited about how it was coming out. However, I was not following the pattern. But I didn't find out until I got to the last row and I had these four corners full of posts looking me in the face. So, I am doing freehand for the four corners. This could be very interesting. Darn.

I would love to join you, unfortunately dh already is questioning my sanity with the projects I have going. He just doesn't understand why I need to be working on 5 projects at one time...:lol He's so dull...I told him smart people need lots of different things to do or we get bored! :yes If I can knock out a couple of the things I am doing, I will join you!

Marleen...just consider the first one a practice piece! I made some errors in calculation on my first one, too, but when it's finished, I don't think anyone will notice. (And I'm on the last round--should finish it today, so I'll a picture to post soon!)

If you are not following the pattern exactly, and making a different-sized grid, you really have to think :think about how the numbers are going to play out. The original pattern calls for an 11x11 grid, and after looking at it, I thought, "okay, as long as I have an odd-number grid, I'll be okay, and I made up a 21x21 grid for my thread project. But there is *another* factor to consider. The 11x11 grid allows for 5 (an odd number!) rounds, and that takes into consideration the outer corners. My 21x21 grid allows for 10 (an even number!) rounds, and that means my final round was the one that didn't work around a corner, and I have the 4 empty corners to deal with, too. I ending up folding them in and making them "disappear" in my final round (which I'm still working on), so the finished hot pad will have corners more rounded than square, but it seems to look okay.

Sometimes crochet takes too much math!

Keep squiggling, everyone!

Hi , I really want to start this so I was wondering if you could share the basic pattern of making the grid on the round? Maybe? please? please? please? :manyheart

I would be happy to share how this works if it will help anyone. I hate working off of a long starting chain, so if I can avoid it, I do.

Chain 8, and dc in first chain. (You now have a 1x1 square.)

Chain 5, and dc in same stitch as last dc, twice. Chain 2, dc in 3 stitch of original chain. (You now have a 2x2 square.)

With right side facing you, turn work 1/4 turn to the right. Chain 5, dc in same stitch as last dc (to turn the corner), ch 2, dc in 3rd st. of ch5 loop to the left. Turn work 1/4 turn to the right, ch. 5 and dc in same stitch as last dc. ch 2, dc twice across work to make 2 more cells. (You should now have a 3x3 square.)

Continue working in the same way--normal ch 2, dc filet stitch. At corners, turn work 1/4 turn, ch 5 to make first cell in new row, and continue. As you work, each two rows you finish will complete a square--an even-numbered grid, then an odd-numbered grid. I think you want an odd-numbered grid for this pattern, so you may want to mark that middle square to keep track of it as you work.

I hope this explanation is clear enough. Play with a hook and thread and let me know if it doesn't seem to be working out.

"Sometimes crochet takes too much math" :rofl Boy is that ever the truth!!

I thought the idea of doing the mesh in the round sounded good, so I started a base with a little square of 4 mesh that I had used for a doily. Oops, I need 1 mesh square in the center, so that didn't work. I did learn that for me doing the mesh from a starting chain is actually easier. Now I also know I have to figure where my rows will end, so thanks for that insight, Krakovianka.

I was pleasantly surprised when I went to my nearest thread source, Walmart (and I really do not like Walmart :( unfortunately) and they did have several colors of Aunt Lydias and Traditions. Previously they had had hardly any cotton thread or yarn. I also got some Peaches and cream but I don't like the larger size as much for this project, it turns out.

I didn't think that I would be first. Especially since this is my first crochet along. BUT, here goes. The first one is actually green, pink and white but the pink looks red. I really messed up the pattern as you can tell. The second one, I did much better with the pattern and I am actually kind of pleased with myself. This was really fun. Thanks. Now I can't stop making them.

Picture5812600x450.jpg

Picture5810600x450.jpg

Marleen - those are both lovely! Way to go!

I've played around with this concept back when Becks posted about it....I'll have to see if I can find any of my attempts at it!

Wow I just found this CAL and I want to get started right away but I have no yarn for it. I am one of those who try to have no stash by only buying yarn for specific projects but having too many projects to make that I end up having a stash anyways!

We will see what kind of extras I can dredge up tomorrow and go from there.

I am so excited!

:cheer :cheer :cheer

:clap :clap

:h5

Great job! Somebody has to be first, and this is a small project compared to some CAL's, so why not you?

Now that you know how to make them, you can make lots for gifts, etc. I really thought I would be done yesterday--probably only 100dc stitches left to go on my border--but I ended up devoted my crochet time to finishing and blocking another huge project I've been working on since February (I'll be showing in the Thread show-and-tell folder when it's dry).

I'll definitely finish it up today and share a picture. Your second one looks perfect...I think this is a good project for leftover thread/yarn, and I've actually already started a scrap squiggle--I'll post a picture of that, too, as it will be a WIP for a while. I've got lots of yucky thread to make into squiggles!

Welcome to all new squigglers! Sleevelessinsu, the member whose projects inspired me to get started, has said that she will be doing a tutorial for her blog. I hope she does, because a few pictures and clear instructions would make it easier to get started.

Maria,

Glad that worked out for you!

Here's my first completed squiggly. It's really a little too big, plus it ends on the wrong round, so I'll be doing the next one with a 19x19 grid (using 2 strands of yucky size 30 thread held together).

IMG_0609.jpg

Actually the thread is yucky for doilies...works fine for kitchen items, and yes, it IS bright, isn't it?

Archived