Squiggly-Wiggly CAL

Krakovianka

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here it is--clickable

th_100_2065.jpg

This is also size 10 thread. On my first one, I thought making the mesh from a starting chain was easiest, but evidently my tension was uneven, and one side (not the starting side, but an edge) was shorter than the other. So this time I started the mesh in the center and made it in rounds. I used a 7 steel hook for the mesh and 6 hook for the ruffle with 4 dc per space.

I like these colors but my plan was to have 2 rows of green, however my second green did not look right.

I am taking a break for another project, a baby outfit that will be too small for the baby if I don't finish it;) But I have a bunch of colored thread for more squigglies soon. Am enjoying doing this CAL:hook

Dawn--thank you for the link. Those are nice and clear directions, and especially helpful for those who want to begin with thread. Join us in making a squiggly-wiggly hotpad any time!!!

Kathy, your finished squiggly is beautiful--like a little work of art.

Butterfly, glad to have you join us! I'm looking forward to seeing your work.

I had a busy week, hosting an "event" at my home yesterday. Today, I'm recuperating and fiddling around with little projects. I plan to crochet the grid for my next squiggly this weekend though. I've got to get through all that low-quality thread...

Here's how mine's going so far:

DSC01411.jpg

I like how it's turning out. The smaller hook for the grid and larger hook for the squigglies is working out great. I enjoy making these very much. This one will be mailed to my MIL who has a red kitchen.

Aussie - mine is in #10 thread, I made the # of grids at 19 x 19 to give it a try. I'm using 5 dc per post. Yes, I can definitely see this as a neat way to crochet a bathroom rug (in cotton yarn), or other items.

Dawn, thank you for sharing that pattern link! And Kathy, yours is gorgeous!

Thank you for the compliments! I am enjoying making them and I am glad you all like the way they look. My baby project is almost finished so I have started the mesh for my next squiggly, and picked out the colors--light blue, aqua, and light green. I realized it will look best to have the mesh the same color as the last row of ruffle, since part of the mesh will show on the last row.

I finished mine in one night! I made a black & white one with ww yarn, but of course, I gave it away today & forgot to take a picture first! I love this technique and will make more for sure-with thread next!

Kathy, that's beautiful!

*waves to those joining*

I haven't picked my squiggle up in days and days. The busy part of the summer is here, so it'll probably be slow going for a while. It's so nice, though, to have a project that's pleasant to work on even when it's hot. :)

Several people have mentioned that this project is hard to hold, and I feel the same way, at certain points it feels pretty awkward. I just noticed something that makes a difference to me so want to share it, if I can describe so it makes sense. :think

I am right handed. If i join the thread for a new row while holding the piece so that the new thread is above the part I have already completed, and continue to work with it oriented that way, then I seem to always be bumping into the completed part and it seems to be in the way. If I join the new thread with the work held so the new thread is below the completed part, and continue with it that way, then I am able to fold the completed part out of my way on most sections.

Does that make sense? Has anybody else noticed this or other tips?

Msmusic, I like your red-white-and-blue, very summery!

Several people have mentioned that this project is hard to hold, and I feel the same way, at certain points it feels pretty awkward. I just noticed something that makes a difference to me so want to share it, if I can describe so it makes sense. :think

I am right handed. If i join the thread for a new row while holding the piece so that the new thread is above the part I have already completed, and continue to work with it oriented that way, then I seem to always be bumping into the completed part and it seems to be in the way. If I join the new thread with the work held so the new thread is below the completed part, and continue with it that way, then I am able to fold the completed part out of my way on most sections.

Does that make sense? Has anybody else noticed this or other tips?

Msmusic, I like your red-white-and-blue, very summery!

I have noticed the awkwardness, and will try your suggestion on my next attempt at this pattern - I should probably stick to what I'm doing for now so everything is uniform, but what the heck, I may just switch in mid-stream and see how it turns out!

Our CAL needs a bump, 'cause it dropped to page two!

I finally finished (yesterday) the grid for my next squiggly--the one I thought I would get done over the weekend. I planned out the color changed, after thinking through about 8 or 9 possibilities. Holding 2 strands together (I'm using very low-quality size 30 thread) allows for some interesting color-play, but you do have to decide! LOL.

I haven't made any more progress on the scrap squiggly, either, but I never expected that one to go quickly.

The real problem is...I scored 13 brand-new 50g balls of 100% wool yarn at a second-hand shop--10 balls of mixed brown/white, and 3 of plain brown. I felted a swatch, and the brown/white felts into the neatest tweed....so I am making a *huge* felted bag (I could never afford all this wool yarn new). Last night I crochet over 8 feet of 'cord' to be my handles...

But I'm on the second round of my new squiggly, being worked in red, gold, and brown (a very orange-y brown). I'm also trying the trick of using a smaller hook for the grid. My 19x19 grid is a LOT smaller than my last 21x21 grid, but for a hot pad, I think it will be fine.

I have finished round 3 of my squiggly. It seems to get easier to hold as it gets more "meat" to it. lol Trying to do one round every night. Did not work on it last night, tho. My afghan project was calling my name. :)

I can't believe it...we fell off page 1 again! There must be a lot of activity in some of those CAL's...

Norma--is the red,white, and blue squiggly done? It looks cute so far.

When I start squiggling, I can't seem to stop. I'm well into round 6 of the one I started on Tuesday, and there are only going to be 9 rounds. I keep wanting to see how the next color iteration is going to look...then the next one...and the next...

..and before you know it, I realize the project is over half done already! Of course, those last 3 rounds take a lot longer than the first 3!

With any luck, I'll have a picture of squiggly #2 by the weekend...

Norma--is the red,white, and blue squiggly done? It looks cute so far.

No, not yet, but I have gotten further - I have about 5 more rounds to do. Will try to take and post another pic, but my oldest son is coming for a visit today through the weekend and I don't know how much progress I'll make on it. But I might surprise myself. I have the rest of the morning yet until he gets here, so i'll drop the round ripple and pick up the thread hook instead. :hook

Kathy, I'm going to try working it that way around. I think it will be much easier to hold that way! Thanks for the idea.

If I ever get back to the thing, that is. LOL. Between trying to get the house clean and trying to escape from the heat we've had this week, I've barely picked up a hook at all. Maybe tonight...

I am glad that idea was helpful. Just one of those things I noticed as I was working.

I am looking forward to seeing everybody's latest creations. Krakovianka, I can't wait to see your next one with the mixed colors. I do know what you mean about watching the colors develop, that is fun isn't it. I think i have 3 rows left on my current one, but I do have some other non-crochet chores to do, darn it! :hook :hook

I finally managed to add a couple of rows to my squiggly tonight! :clap This might get done someday after all, lol. I even got a progress picture...now I just have to empty the camera. :lol

Oh, and Kathy, I tried holding it that way around tonight and it was much more comfortable. Thank you!

Hi everybody! I have finished my third hot pad

th_100_2121.jpg

It is kind of hard to see but there are three colors: blue, aqua, and mint green. the blue and aqua blend together in the photo. I again used size 10 thread, and a 7 hook for the mesh and 6 for the ruffle. For some reason my tension on the mesh was tighter so this one feels a lot denser than the first two.

these are the colors I am planning for my next one

th_100_2113.jpg

I will start and end with the peach. the color after the lavendar looks like navy in the pic but is actually dark purple. I liked the rainbow effect of the second one I made so I want to do a variation on that. Hope it will look okay--the green-blue-purple are pretty dark compared to the other colors.

Deb, I am glad that worked for you.

these are the colors I am planning for my next one

th_100_2113.jpg

I will start and end with the peach. the color after the lavendar looks like navy in the pic but is actually dark purple. I liked the rainbow effect of the second one I made so I want to do a variation on that. Hope it will look okay--the green-blue-purple are pretty dark compared to the other colors.

I love the colors you have chosen for your next squiggly. I can hardly wait to see the finished project!

Oh, Kathy, that's so pretty! I have another finished squiggly to share, too. I finished it this weekend, as I said I would, but didn't get pictures into the computer until today (and I'm posting them all over c'ville--hee hee).

I love the colors of the one you finished, and I bet this rainbow one is going to be spectacular! What a nice array of colors you have to work with!

Here's my second finished project. The first (very colorful) squiggly was "Fiesta," and I think this one is "Flame Job."

IMG_0704.jpg

I used 3 colors--red (fire engine red), yellow, and warm light brown. The thread is size 30, so I hold two strands together, and it is thicker than size 10. I used a size 4 hook for the grid and a size 3 hook for the squigglies--that worked well. I also reduced the number of dc per post from 5 to 4, so the whole thing worked up a little faster. This was a 19x19 grid, and I will do the rest of the squigglies in this thread at that size--it's perfect. I still have 14 balls of this thread in six colors. I haven't even opened the purple yet. How many squigglies will I be able to make??????

I've got two more color combos planned--aqua, purple, and burgundy for one, and burgundy, brown, and aqua for another. That last one is the quietest color combo I can manage, and it's for my mil who probably wouldn't care for these uber-bright ones.

Archived