Squiggly-Wiggly CAL

Krakovianka

I don't know how you guys finish these so fast! I am still only half way done with mine. My fingers get so cramped when I work on it. Maybe next time I should try yarn instead of thread?? WW or Cotton? Which would be better?

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh walker, I know, what you mean with cramped fingers...:yes

But it was so funny to work, I think this is a very addictive technic!!:eek:D I couldn´t stop working...:hook

Oooh, woolcat...I love it in browns. I have yet to see a squiggly I didn't like! Yours looks so classy.

Compared to everyone else, we're practically neighbors...Vienna is only about six hours away!!! (But I've never been there.)

Thank you!!

Krakovianka thats funny, that you are so near to vienna, we needed an message board so far away from both of us to meet...:D

luvmnms the brown-colors reminds me too of chocolate and coffe also.:)

The next try of wiggly crochet will be in baby-colors like pink, yellow, babyblue...can´t wait to start.:hook

the brown-colors reminds me too of chocolate and coffe also.

I never thought of coffee, because I don't drink it, but now that you mention it, it does look like coffee with cream!

The next try of wiggly crochet will be in baby-colors like pink, yellow, babyblue...can´t wait to start.

I can't wait to see this, it sounds like spring or Easter!

Everyones work looks great!

I've been keeping an eye on this CAL and I'm ready to join in. In fact I finished off a small squiggle coaster today. I'm weaving the ends now. I'll share a picture tomorrow.

My next one I want to try zig zagging from corner to corner and see what that does. Maybe with the right # of squares a spiraling of two colors from the center maybe? I need to sketch these ideas out and see if they will work.

My next one I want to try zig zagging from corner to corner and see what that does. Maybe with the right # of squares a spiraling of two colors from the center maybe? I need to sketch these ideas out and see if they will work.

These are different ideas!!! Be sure to post pics!!!

Everyones work looks great!

I've been keeping an eye on this CAL and I'm ready to join in. In fact I finished off a small squiggle coaster today. I'm weaving the ends now. I'll share a picture tomorrow.

I had the same ideas.:) I drawed it on paper to see how it goes with the corners and it looked good. I am sure there are a lot of possibilitys to squiggle.:hook

Glad you're on board, Samantha, and looking forward to seeing what you come up with. One reason I wanted this CAL was the hope that someone would come up with some other squiggly designs. All I've managed is some free-form!

OK, I'll admit I haven't read every single post on this thread, but I have looked through, and I wondered if anybody has considered making this project into a bath mat. It LOOKS like a bath mat to me!

I think it would make a really pretty little rug.... of course I need another project like a hole in my head, but I am definitely filing away this idea for future use!!

I love the way the squiggles turn out! Everybody's squares look awesome!

It would look really nice as a bath mat.

I was also thinking about freeform crochet and that this method of crocheting into the mesh would also work to crochet into rug mesh instead of crocehting your own mesh. Infact there was an Uncommon Threads Episode where Prudence Mapstone showed how to do freeform crochet using the rug mesh (is that what it's called?) to make a lovely purse.

I'm working on a zig zagging coaster right now. When dh get's back home with the camera I'll take pics.

Aside from crochet, I am also a rug maker. So, of course I immediately saw the possibilities of this technique. I made a cotton (worsted) bathroom rug using the basic pattern. Then one, going from corner to corner. I'm currently working on one in freeform with scrap yarn. I started with an 11 x 11 grid & as it filled up, I added more grid pieces, some square, some rectangle. Will try to post pix...am tech challenged :)

Alosha

I just did a quick search, and found a 24 x 30 rug mesh at Jo-Anne's for only $3.49. I don't know how big the holes are, but it may work for this - it would save stitching the background.

Thanks for the idea, Samantha!

Now I need to go to Jo-Anne's....ummm....I did say I was going to file away this idea, though, didn't I? Well, maybe I'll just go LOOK at the mesh! :)

Happy Stitcher, would be interested in hearing what you think if you try the rug canvas. It usuallly comes in 2 sizes, 3.5 & 5 holes per inch. I had some of the 3.5 here & gave it a try a couple of weeks ago. I found it a bit stiff to work with & hard on my hands. But it does work.

:)Alosha

I just finished my second one. This time I used light, friendly colors. When my daughter saw me making it, she asked if it can be her´s when I am ready. She really likes the colors.

x4Jyxqlp.jpg

(click for larger image)

1012125760_a1845e7f4a_m.jpg

I still need to weave in all the ends but here's the one I did from corner to corner. Doing this one everything single part of the mesh is covered and I also join the ends together on the outside of the piece if that makes sense.

1011267969_d30fc62b36_m.jpg

Here's the basic one. These both are great for coasters.

I just finished my second one. This time I used light, friendly colors.

This is really pretty, I love the colors! Great Job!

here's the one I did from corner to corner. Doing this one everything single part of the mesh is covered and I also join the ends together on the outside of the piece if that makes sense.

Here's the basic one. These both are great for coasters.

I really like the diagonal one, but I'm having a hard time figuring out the pattern for this one. You did a wonderful job!

Your basic one reminds me of Easter Eggs! Very Pretty!

Sammimag your new one looks great!! I will try that too from corner to corner but first I have to make two teddys for the kids of a friend. :D

Your basic one has wonderful colors to!:clap

Wow! All of those are amazing!

I'm officially giving up on getting mine done. It would only be a couple of hours worth of work, but I stretched myself way too thin these last couple of weeks and it's one of the easiest things to ignore until after the little one arrives. I hope I can make it back here in a few months with something finished. :lol It will no doubt depend on whether or not this one wants to spend all day nursing like his big sister did!

I'll check back to see how everybody's doing...I love hearing all of these ideas! :manyheart:hook

:hotWish there were a more accurate smilie for the type of "hot" we're feeling down here in Dixie right now - it's 6:30 in the evening & it's still at 97*F.

And since I'm working my squiggly-wiggly in toasty acrylic yarn, it's going to have to wait a day or two, for Mother Nature to give me a break, or for me to wake at 3:00 in the morning, when the house has finally cooled down. (We lost a 70 year old oak tree earlier this year - you don't appreciate trees enough until Mr. Sunshine is blazing down where they used to be...LOL)

Anyway, I'm enjoying reading about others' work, and I'll be posting on your threads, and working on some cotton thread projects in the meantime.

BTW Found a Wiggly Crochet book at Hobby Lobby the other day - put it on my wish list for DH.

Hugs,

Maggs

I have never been into browns, ever since my mom went overboard with the neutrals when I was a kid in the 60's, but I think I could change my mind about brown after seeing yours. Very pretty.

Maggs

Archived