Squiggly-Wiggly CAL

Krakovianka

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those are beautiful!!!!!!!! How many squares did you two use? Does anyone have a pattern (grid) for doing a larger one? I only did the 11x11 and I don't know that I could figure out what to do with a larger one. Thank you again for starting this. It was so fun. For the past 7 years I have only made blankets for Project Linus or squares for HAP afghans and it was nice and refreshing to do something different. This morning I went out and bought yarn to make one for each of my daughters for Christmas (whether they want them or not) smile.

Marleen, the larger ones follow the same pattern--there are just more repeats in the later rounds. There are two basic rows, both of which sort of work upside-down "U's" over the upside down "U's" below them, but the corners are different on each row. On odd-numbered rows, you work around a complete square on the corner, and on even numbered-rows, you move directly from the "U" on one side to the (upside-down) "U" on the next side.

To increase the pattern, you really need to add two *rounds* so that you will still have an odd-numbered round for the final round, so you can work around the outside corners correctly. (If you look at mine, you can probably see that I didn't figure correctly and ended on on even-numbered round.)

It's not just enough to have an odd-numbered grid like the 11x11, because if you made a 13x13 grid, you would only be able to add one more round and that would be an even number. You need to increase to at least a 15x15 grid, which will allow for 7 full rounds.

Here's how I figure how many rounds the grid will accommodate:

Number of grid, minus 1, divided by 2

For the 11x11:

11-1=10, 10 divided by 2=5 Five is an odd number, so this will work.

But look at my 21x21:

21-1=20, 20 divided by 2=10. Uh oh. Ten is an even number, and the even round doesn't take care of the corners.

The next time I do one, I'll use a 19x19 grid:

19-1=18, 18 divided by 2 = 9. Yay! An odd number!

You see what I mean about crochet and math???????

Oh--here's the quick version. Add increments of 4 to the original 11x11 grid. You can make workable grids of 11, 15, 19, 23, 27....just keep adding 4.

BTW Marleen, my 10yo daughter loved your first squiggly and said you can said it to her if don't want it. :rofl

Thank you, thank you. You explained that wonderfully. All the way from Poland you are teaching us great things. I have been doing EdgeryDoo so much that I forgot that there are other fun things to do. And please tell your Daughter thank you too. She even liked my mistake. Since postage is so much, tell her that I will just fly it to her. I've always wanted an excuse to visit Poland.

Maria,

Glad that worked out for you!

Here's my first completed squiggly. It's really a little too big, plus it ends on the wrong round, so I'll be doing the next one with a 19x19 grid (using 2 strands of yucky size 30 thread held together).

IMG_0609.jpg

Actually the thread is yucky for doilies...works fine for kitchen items, and yes, it IS bright, isn't it?

LOVE THIS! The colors, the shape, and even if it is "yucky" thread, hey, it's a completed project that functions ... :clap :clap :clap:hook

I'm enjoying seeing the squigglies. Even if the original pattern is not followed exactly, they still look good. I had a hard time at first staying on track, my ruffle wandered off a few times! I like the colors everyone has used. And the rounded corner effect looks good too, actually.

Here's mine:

643273827_6bb78688e6_m.jpg

Front

643273769_ef2a6c485e_m.jpg

Back

I used kitchen cotton on a black 11 x 11 grid. I only used three dc per side. I think next time I'll use five dc per side.

This was definitely fun. :D

Linda Y

I have not joined this CAL, but I was hoping I could ask a question...

I started this awhile ago. My sister showed me one that her MIL had made and it was really old and she asked me if I could dupicate it. So after studying it, I told her I would give it a try. I did not have a pattern, so I had to wing it. Well, this is my attempt...

here is the back...

http://bp1.blogger.com/_2SdYcInwdY0/RoPliexDxqI/AAAAAAAAAHE/KJOYvjtLj08/s200/P1010001.JPG

here is the front...

http://bp2.blogger.com/_2SdYcInwdY0/RoPliuxDxrI/AAAAAAAAAHM/AsEqxU85U_A/s200/P1010002.JPG

I don't know if you can really tell from the back photo, but it's curling up around the edges, and I'm hoping that this will correct itself as it gets bigger. Also, the front looks very crowded.

I didn't have a pattern when I started, so I started in the center with just a 1x1 grid {so I guess I'm doing the "in the round" method mentioned here}. I'm putting 4 dc around each post, because that's what was on the one my sister has.

My question is, after looking at the pattern, and looking at the several pics posted here, are you suppose to have stitches around every post, as I remember the one my sister showed me and from seeing the back of the ones posted here, or are you suppose to skip a round of post as shown in the pic of the pattern? I'm confused, and maybe that is my problem with the edges curling up.

Sorry this is so long, I found this hard to describe. I hope someone here can help me. Thank you in advance.

Krakovianka, I really loved the one you made with the "yucky" colors!

Linda--that looks great. Red, white, and blue is a cool color combo for these. I used 5 stitches on my posts, and when I compare the density of mine to others, I'm think of cutting back to 4...lol

Tammy, first of all, let me say...wow Baroque thread! I used to buy that stuff ALL THE TIME. I bet I've crocheted up 50 or more of those skeins, but I haven't seen any in years (maybe they still have it...I just don't live in the US).

But, Baroque thread is about size 10, so an 11x11 grid will not be large enough for a potholder...and since that is where you are, I'm assuming you are somehow crocheting the grid as you go. I can't picture how it works, but is that what you are doing?

You should make your complete grid before you start the squiggly stitches. Just use the regular filet stitch pattern of 2sc, dc across, or crochet one in the round as I described earlier in the thread, until you have a grid the size you want your finished hotpad/potholder to be.

Then, beginning in the center, you will start your squigglies, following the design in the pattern given in the first post on the thread. It looks a bit confusing, and it's easy to think the black lines are the whole guide, but they are not. Between each row of black lines is a gray line, and that is what you'll crochet on even-numbered rounds. You do, in the end, crochet around every post of every square, except on the outer round, where a few posts will remain free.

How many dc are you putting on each post? That may be part of the warping, but I am more inclined to think it comes from crocheting the grid and the squiggly stitches at the same time (how are doing that?).

:think

Because yours is all white, I can't tell as much from the back as I wish could. Hope this helps some. I figure if your making a squiggle, and you post here, you are at least nominally a member of the CAL (we don't have initiation or anything--jump right in!). Hope this helps.

How's everyone else's projects coming along? I made the grid for my free-form scrap squiggle, and I've put some stitches on the front...and if my last one (in yucky thread, not yucky colors :) ) was a fiesta hotpad, let's just say this one is looking like...cammo!

Marleen, fly to Poland to visit anytime! Glad to have you!

Tammy, first of all, let me say...wow Baroque thread! I used to buy that stuff ALL THE TIME. I bet I've crocheted up 50 or more of those skeins, but I haven't seen any in years (maybe they still have it...I just don't live in the US).

I got the thread at Wal-Mart for 50 cents! I had never used it before, but couldn't pass up the price.

But, Baroque thread is about size 10, so an 11x11 grid will not be large enough for a potholder...and since that is where you are, I'm assuming you are somehow crocheting the grid as you go. I can't picture how it works, but is that what you are doing?

Yes, I'm doing a round of grid, then filling it in with the squiggly part. It is now 13x13 and only measures 3". And if I remember correctly, the finished hotpad measures 6". The one my sister showed me was done by her MIL with thinner thread, but this was the smallest I was willing to work with! And I don't remember how big the finished grid was on hers. Her MIL passed away several years ago, and I inherited all of her craft supplies, because no one in the family did crafts, and the FIL knew I did, so he asked my sister if I wanted her stuff, but I didn't find this pattern among those things.

You should make your complete grid before you start the squiggly stitches. Just use the regular filet stitch pattern of 2sc, dc across, or crochet one in the round as I described earlier in the thread, until you have a grid the size you want your finished hotpad/potholder to be.

I didn't have a pattern when I started this, and I don't want to rip it, so I'm going to continue this one the way I started, but I will remember this, and use the pattern, the next time I make one, because I really want to do one like you did, with two strands, and different colors. I have lots of thread to use up!

Then, beginning in the center, you will start your squigglies, following the design in the pattern given in the first post on the thread. It looks a bit confusing, and it's easy to think the black lines are the whole guide, but they are not. Between each row of black lines is a gray line, and that is what you'll crochet on even-numbered rounds. You do, in the end, crochet around every post of every square, except on the outer round, where a few posts will remain free.

I ddin't read through the entire pattern, just looked at the pic, so I didn't realize that the two colors of the pattern were represented by the black and gray lines. I thought you just did the black lines! Silly me for not reading the pattern before asking quesstions!

How many dc are you putting on each post? That may be part of the warping, but I am more inclined to think it comes from crocheting the grid and the squiggly stitches at the same time (how are doing that?).

I am putting 4 dc on each post. That is what was on the one my sister showed me.

Because yours is all white, I can't tell as much from the back as I wish could. Hope this helps some. I figure if your making a squiggle, and you post here, you are at least nominally a member of the CAL (we don't have initiation or anything--jump right in!). Hope this helps.

I'm affraid to join the CAL because I have had this on going project for months now, and I still haven't finished it! But who knows, maybe this will inspire me to finally finish it for my sister!

Thank you for all your help. I hope I can come back if I have more questions.

Actually, Tammy, I take back what I said about following the pattern. If you are working all in one color instead of multiples, there might be an easier way to do it. You *could* still follow the pattern, but maybe there is an easier way...

...anyone have any ideas? I'm coming up with different ways to do the thread for my free-form, but I don't really know how to explain it...

Tammy...one more thought. You could still add grid to your piece and then finish with the squiggle stitches (I wouldn't want to rip all that work, either). Pick up on one corner and follow the basic instructions for crochet grid in the round that I wrote in an earlier post. It's easy from where you are. Attach to one corner, work 5sc for the first stitch, and filet across. At the corner, turn work 1/4 turn to the right, work 5sc to be the first square in the new row, and continue like that (being sure to work enough rows to keep your work square!) until you have the size grid you want. It might help keep it from curling on you.

Hi Tammy. Don't feel bad about missing those gray lines on the pattern, I did the same thing. Like Krakovianka said, the chart is a little confusing! Cheers to you for tackling the project by copying an heirloom. Trying to make one of these w/ no pattern would be a big challenge for me :)

Because I started this months ago without a pattern, I am doing this all wrong, and maybe that is why it is curling up around the edging.

I did not start with a grid and then do all the squigglies.

I am working in rounds starting from the center. I did one round of grid, 1x1, then I did another round of grid, 3x3, then I did a round of squiggly, then I did another round of grid, 5x5, then I did another round of squiggly, and so on. I am now working on a round of grid, which is 15x15, and then I will do a round of squiggly. I will just continue this way until it measures 6". Does this make any sense?

Now that I have seen a pattern for this, I know that I am doing it wrong, but I just don't want to rip it all out. It looks good, except for the curling, which I'm going to figure out a way to stop that, or just correct it on the last round that I do.

th_100_2060.jpg clickable

I have got one finished. I like the colors in this, but I don't really like the white section...looks like a fried egg to me. But i guess that is okay for a kitchen item ;) i am trying to think of it as a daisy, but that egg image sticks in my mind now.

Am thinking about lavender-blue-aqua for the next one.

Have to say I like the finished product, the way it looks and the feel of the ruffles (keep thinking it would make a great pillow cover), but I don't enjoy the actual crocheting as much as I would a doily or granny squares. But I am really enjoying the CAL and I liked making this because it is useful and I think it will make a cute gift.

Awww it looks great :) I am a bit of jealous all of you keep finishing them.... I have to study these days (middle of exams period) and I m trying really hard to stay away from crochet.... Oh well It is great and i don t see any fried eggs there :manyheart

Kathy, I like your squiggle. It doesn't make me think of a fried egg at all. Too squiggly for that! I really do enjoy this crochet project, I think partly because it is all the same soothing thing. It's a nice break from constantly checking the pattern to see what comes next, which is the kind of crocheting I usually do!

I'll have to post a picture of my free-form in progress. You guys have got to see this weird squiggly-camo effect.

I have a question:are you all using two strands of thread held together? +

I only used one strand of thread for my first two. I am getting ready to start my second squiggley today, hopefully, and this time I am going to try two strands of thread, a size 10 and a size 20, held together I think.

I used two strands held together, which allowed for some nice color-play. The thread was size 30 according to the label, but thicker than that, I think, at least a little bit. I used a size 4 hook for that.

The one I'm making now is with size 10 thread and size 6 hook, and I'm only using a single strand.

Archived