Squiggly-Wiggly CAL

Krakovianka

I'm in the middle of making a squiggly-wiggly potholder similar to the one here:

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=53986

I wondered if anyone would be interested in joining me to make a few? The pattern can be found here:

http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/projects/july99_crochet_2.html

That pattern can be confusing, because it looks like only the black lines should be crocheted. However, the gray lines also represent rounds that are worked between them. Take a look at the back of the finished project in post number 94 to see a clear example of the way that the pattern is worked.

One neat thing is that you can adapt the pattern to make them in either thread or yarn (mine will be thread), and you can use up bits of leftovers that are hanging around. Another idea that occurred to me (because my 3yo keeps "petting" my potholder) is to make a little girls' purse with a couple of squiggly squares, or at least one on the front.

So...anyone else want to create something squiggly wiggly with me?

One reason I'm looking for joiners is because I'd like to see some adaptations or alternate designs. the design given is nice, but there is no reason you couldn't crochet your squigglies in other designs, too, and I'd like to see if anyone can come up with some interesting alternatives?

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was thinking of doing a couple of these to go along with a wedding gift that I'm making. I've got about 3 other projects working right now, but I might be back. I like these potholders and I'd like to see how they are to make.

I need another CAL like a need a hole in my head but what the hey. It sounds like fun & the end result is beautiful. :cheer

I think i'll make one like the patterns first with peaches-n-cream cotton & then i'll venture out and make the thread one. I just wanna get the feel for the pattern first. :yes

What yarn/thread are you using? Any particular color pattern chosen yet? I will probably be using pastels for my thread one because that's what I have ALOT of. I'm not sure about the thicker one yet. :think Maybe blue & purple. :hook:yarn

I'm using some rather yucky unmercerized thread (Grandma's Best-ha!) that turned out to be unsuitable for doilies, but is working nicely for kitchen articles. I'm holding 2 strands of the size 30 thread together (I have a lot of this--posted about in the thread folder), which allows for some nice color combinations. I'm making this one in the given design (which I recommend for a first try, definitely) in burgundy, gold, and aqua. It's very colorful!

I'm going to crochet up a grid in size 10 white or ecru (whatever scrap I can find), and use it as the basis of a "free form squiggly," using my leftover colors, but not following the given design. I'm also trying to figure out how to make a heart, so that I can use that design for a child's purse.

AND I'm planning to make a few more (as long as my "yucky" thread holds out) in other 3-color combos. I've got six colors to work with, so I'm thinking of one in purple, aqua and red (or gold), and another in brown, burgundy and red. Maybe with an aqua accent? We'll see. I have more red and gold than the other colors.

See why I need company for this?

Do I see someone named TABBY in here ?

Could it be we have TWO TABBY's that BOTH are using the same exact avatar today ?

Maybe my mind is playing tricks on me.....

Tab, you know I'm just kidding, Squiggle away !!!

I actually saw a pattern for this exact same thing in a library book of patterns. It was a whole bedspread made into this design. The primary color was white, then had just a few lines of red, blue, yellow and green .

It reminded me of a birthday cake with frosting . VERY pretty .

Wish I could remember the name of the book .... Hmmmm..... I'll have to see if I can find it again .

This is a really neat pattern.

The bedspread took quite a lot of yarn , I think it was 108 ounces ???

Do I see someone named TABBY in here ?

Could it be we have TWO TABBY's that BOTH are using the same exact avatar today ?

Maybe my mind is playing tricks on me.....

Tab, you know I'm just kidding, Squiggle away !!!

I actually saw a pattern for this exact same thing in a library book of patterns. It was a whole bedspread made into this design. The primary color was white, then had just a few lines of red, blue, yellow and green .

It reminded me of a birthday cake with frosting . VERY pretty .

Wish I could remember the name of the book .... Hmmmm..... I'll have to see if I can find it again .

This is a really neat pattern.

The bedspread took quite a lot of yarn , I think it was 108 ounces ???

HeeHee, I got caught. :lol I was hoping you wouldn't notice. :devil But, but, but there's a method to my madness. You see, I plan on making it as a dishcloth so i'm not REALLY starting something new. :D

Those are the neatest things. I would love to join you, but I just put myself on the UFO Cal. When I knock out my 11 listed projects, I'd love to squiggle/wiggle away.

For those who are interested, Herrschners Blue-Ribbon Afghans has a red/white/green afghan called Bright Ribbons on page 82.

Those are the neatest things. I would love to join you, but I just put myself on the UFO Cal. When I knock out my 11 listed projects, I'd love to squiggle/wiggle away.

For those who are interested, Herrschners Blue-Ribbon Afghans has a red/white/green afghan called Bright Ribbons on page 82.

I'm in that CAL too. :lol As you can see Julie will hunt ya down. :lol :lol

The website pattern calls for rug yarn...someone mentioned sugar and cream...

I don't see why you could use any yarn you want to, for a hot pad. You'll just adjust the size of your grid to make a hot-pad sized grid, whether it's 11x11 or 23x23.

And on that note...I was playing around, and it is *very* easy to crochet your grid "in the round" instead of making a long chain and going back and forth. This will make a squarer grid, too--you know how filet work is always wider than it is tall.

Can't wait to see what you all make!

BTW, thanks for the link to the old thread. Those pictures confirmed what I was thinking...there are infinite numbers of designs that could be employed. It's worth a look for anyone who is thinking about trying this.

Tab

Scoot over .

Make room for Sherri .

In the corner for both of you. AND stick your gum on the end of your nose .

THAT will teach you a lesson .

Dishcloth, my foot !

These turn out so thick, it's be like washing dishes with a MOP .

Not that they aren't pretty, they are beautiful . LOVE the pattern and they'd make great hotpads due to the thickness .

Tab- we are not having a HOTPAD exchange. :2nono

I want to join in. Heather's post really inspired me to try these.

I don't have the right material for the project right now but have been swatching/playing with some old thread (bright red and bright aqua..not a good combination). I also thought of doing the ruffle in different configurations but what I have come up with so far is not too impressive. The next thing I need to do is try more dc in each space, as I am losing the dense ruffled effect in places with 3 dc.

The older thread that Fran linked to was quite interesting, altho I couldn't get the pictures the OP posted to show up; I guess the site was too old, or maybe it is because I have a Mac. Lots on that and this thread to ponder, need to re-read it all. :hook :hook :hook

Tab

Scoot over .

Make room for Sherri .

In the corner for both of you. AND stick your gum on the end of your nose .

THAT will teach you a lesson .

Dishcloth, my foot !

These turn out so thick, it's be like washing dishes with a MOP .

Not that they aren't pretty, they are beautiful . LOVE the pattern and they'd make great hotpads due to the thickness .

Tab- we are not having a HOTPAD exchange. :2nono

I tried. :rofl :rofl :rofl

OOOOO.... pretties! I love the dense look the thread gives! Unfortunately, I have bunches of WW, but no thread. I am contemplating trying this in the WW with four dcs on each bar to give more ruffle than some of the patterns I've seen. I'm dedicated to doing scrap ghans for my kids right now, but they will need pillows to match, right??:hook

I'll hold off until I'm done with my first ghan, then we'll see. That way I also get to take advantage of your brainstorming... you guys crack me up when the creative ideas start flying!

Me again... I'm thinkin' maybe a variegated yarn alone might be pretty- the variegated that is going into one of my scrappies is RH Piniata. Done over black it would match my WIP. Maybe a G hook with four dc over each post? Or maybe I should just stick with three dc if I'm going down to a G hook? Help!

The other thing that popped into my head is that I need a carry along/hot weather project... and since I get really bored with squares, it'll just have to be something small like this, right? :devil

Archived