Squiggly-Wiggly CAL

Krakovianka

I am almost finished with mine, using just one thread of size 10 and 8 hook.

here are a couple of pics, front and back...

P1010016.JPGP1010013.JPG

The grid is 23x23 and measures 6". I want to add a border around it in sc for a more finished look.

My next one I want to try using two threads held together, like Krakovianka did, to get the somewhat blended effect of the colors.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tammy, that finished up nicely, and seems to have flattened out, too. Good work! I think these must have been "popular" (as crocheting goes) a loooong time ago, because the only reference I've heard was "my grandmother" or even "my great-grandmother" had/made one of those. Yours looks like an antique in all white--very pretty.

Deb, please do join right in. We just started this, and some folks who are interested in making one have to put it one the back burner until some other things are done, so...hop right in and squiggle along. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Tammy, that finished up nicely, and seems to have flattened out, too. Good work! I think these must have been "popular" (as crocheting goes) a loooong time ago, because the only reference I've heard was "my grandmother" or even "my great-grandmother" had/made one of those. Yours looks like an antique in all white--very pretty.

Here's a pic of the finished product, with a round of sc to give it a more finished look...

P1010019.JPG

Once I got going, I just couldn't stop! Which is a good thing since I have been working on it on and off for MONTHS!!! And yes, it does lay flat now!

The only reason I did it in all white is because that is what my sister requested because that's what her MIL did. I had never seen one of these until she showed me the old one she has. And now thanks to you, I have an actual pattern to follow next time!

Thanks! I started my grid last night. With any luck, I'll be squiggling properly by the end of the day. Of course, "luck" means if my little ones cooperate, lol, so it might take me a little longer. I've never done anything quite like this before, so I'm going to just follow the pattern for this first one. I have a bunch of the new DMC Traditions unmercerized thread that I picked up before I understood the distinction (I have been slow to learn the ways of the thread), and I think it will work beautifully for this. So we'll see how it goes!

Tammy, that looks beuatiful! I like the way it looks done all in white. Very elegant.

Is it too late to join this CAL? Just printed the pattern and am heading to the spare room where the stash is stored. Have lots of #10 thread - now to pick a color. Keep an eye out for me. I have a feeling questions will be forthcoming....

I don't think it can ever be too late. Jump right in! I just got home from buying a bunch of rainbow colors to make some more squiggles, they are very gratifying in the way you can combine different colors.

Definitely not too late. I've still barely started, lol. I wasn't expecting the weekend to be busy at all, but it got away from me. 18 rows into what will be a 23x23 grid, and I'm looking forward to seeing something that looks more like progress...of course, I could quit goofing the thing up. I think I've frogged enough to have been done by now if I'd just been paying attention in the first place. :2blush

Never really too late, is it? We've seen a few finishes, but I think most of us are planning another project or two anyway. I am! I have tons of thread that is only suitable for something like this that needs to be used. I've got a free-from scrap squiggle about 1/4 done, and I'm thinking about the best way to make a child's purse with this technique, because my 3yo keeps wanting to "pet" the squiggle.

I think crochet the grid in a smaller hook size is a clever idea to give more fullness to the ruffled part--let us know how it goes.

Can't wait to see what colors you all are doing! Do tell...

Everyone's so quite today! I thought I'd post my scrap-squiggle WIP. This is not going to win any prizes for beauty. My kids think it looks like camo. I am trying to change the lines to reduce that effect. I plan to edge it in black when I fill in the rest.

IMG_0672-1.jpg

What am I doing wrong? Just does not look as full and tightly together as others I have seen. And I am having a hard time holding the grid to crochet to it. Does this make sense??

th_Picture876.jpg

th_Picture875.jpg

This is not going to win any prizes for beauty. My kids think it looks like camo. I am trying to change the lines to reduce that effect. I plan to edge it in black when I fill in the rest.

It looks good so far, I can hardly wait to see the finished results!

Thanks for the encouragement, Tammy. I'm not working too diligently on that one, and will probably do at least one other planned squiggle before I finish this one.

Jana...It might be easier to see from the back, but I think you have missed a round. You should be crocheting around every single post of every single square, and between the two rounds you have crocheted, there should be another round. Look at the pattern again--it's really easy to think that the black lines are the only thing you crochet, but there are gray lines between them, and those are part of the pattern, too. Look at some of the other finished ones and see if you can trace the different lines--they are worked in basically the same way except where you turn the corners.

You can still squeeze your row in without tearing anything out, although it is tricky, and might mess up your color plan. As far as holding the grid--I usually fold it back on itself so the post I'm crocheting over is at the "top."

I hope that helps--your start looks fine, and it will be filled in when you crochet the missing round.

Thanks for the encouragement, Tammy. I'm not working too diligently on that one, and will probably do at least one other planned squiggle before I finish this one.

Jana...It might be easier to see from the back, but I think you have missed a round. You should be crocheting around every single post of every single square, and between the two rounds you have crocheted, there should be another round. Look at the pattern again--it's really easy to think that the black lines are the only thing you crochet, but there are gray lines between them, and those are part of the pattern, too. Look at some of the other finished ones and see if you can trace the different lines--they are worked in basically the same way except where you turn the corners.

You can still squeeze your row in without tearing anything out, although it is tricky, and might mess up your color plan. As far as holding the grid--I usually fold it back on itself so the post I'm crocheting over is at the "top."

I hope that helps--your start looks fine, and it will be filled in when you crochet the missing round.

thanks for the input. I will try your folding the grid method. Color scheme? That is workable. I have a cream color I was going to do after the light green. I can just do it inbetween the two greens instead. THanks again!

Krakovianka, I love the look of the scrap-squiggle. Then again, I have a fondness for things random (or random-ish, rather), lol.

I finally started squiggling, and I'm finding it great fun. The center bit was a pain, but now that I've got something to follow it's speeding right along. I think this may well turn out to be addictive...

Maria, that looks terrific--I like your colors. And thanks for posting the back--it's a nice, clear illustration of how the lines/rounds need to be crocheted. I might edit the first post and suggest that first-timers look at that before they start, because the online pattern is just so easy to misinterpret.

Are you planning to make any more? I haven't gotten to work on mine for a few days, and probably won't until the weekend--too many other things to work on (some crochet and some not!).

Thank you :manyheart yes I so want to make more :) But this nasty thing called life gets in the way :lol I have exams so I m taking it easy (not) :) I am glad you liked it

Maria - thanks for posting the pic. You did a great job. I am round 3. Still having a hard time holding it to get the dc around the grid post. Can only work on it short periods of time...But I WILL finish this one day!! lol

just an update, I worked on mine a little last night - the concept of making the grid with a smaller hook and then crocheting the squiggles with a bigger hook (5 dc per post) is working out great. I'm making this in red/blue/variegated red-white-blue in honor of the holiday!

Maria, that's beautiful!

Jana, I find it awkward, too. It's getting easier, though. I hope it goes more smoothly for you.

Norma, I think I'm going to try that hook size variation on the next one if it's working well for you. I can't wait to see how it turns out!

As for mine, well, the 4th pretty much ate my week, lol. I'm hoping to get to work on it over the weekend...

Archived