Squiggly-Wiggly CAL

Krakovianka

Krakovianka -

Yup - my squiggly is a dark green, then a cream color, then a light green. I am with you on green being my color of choice right now. Especially sage green.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love the idea of a squiggle swiffer cover. Very cool. :manyheart

I think for mine, I'll keep on making the same mistake :hook until I get out to the edges (or maybe within a round of the edge?) and then fill in the corners. Hmmm. I should probably leave a round to be completed to pull the thing together a bit since it's all wacky at this point.

It'll probably be a week or so before I can get to it, since I have a project that absolutely has to get done that must go first. I still can't believe how busy this summer has been!

I finished my second one...

FRONT

squiggly+wiggly+christmas+front.JPG

BACK

squiggly+wiggly+christmas+back.JPG

It took me four days from start to finish.

I used Size 5 thread and Size 6 Hook. The color is Mistletoe.

My grid is 23 x 23, 11 rounds, and measures 7" x 7". I worked the grid "in the round" and worked 5 dc on each post. Then I did a final round of sc.

I am getting even closer - have 1/2 of a row and then the outer row to complete. Picture will be posted when I'm done; life is too crazy right now to snap an inbetween and link it here ...

Wow, Tammy, that's really cute. It looks Christmas-y to me. Texasrh, I LIKE your "free form" squiggly. I wish the picture were bigger, so I could try to figure out what you did.

Norma, can't wait to see another finish! We've made quite a few squigglies here, and I think it's neat. I've heard a number of people say "my GREAT grandmother had/did that" and I think it's been a long-neglected technique. We are reviving a tradition.

I'm going to start a third squiggle soon...I'm tempted to try a round one, but I'll probably make at least a couple more traditional ones for Christmas presents. I have SO much of that "yucky" thread to use up, and it is perfect for this project.

Here it is, finally finished:

DSC01423.jpg

It really was a lot of fun to do. Don't know that I'll do another any time soon, since I have lots of yarn projects to do, but I'll keep my thread handy to work on one as an inbetween project! :hook

:clap

Last weekend I bought some camo yarn by mistake - thought one or two of the colors would work in a project, but when I worked a couple of rows up and it started looking like hunter's garb, I read the label. AAK!

But I think this will work out fairly well, for something utilitarian, that will only see the light of day when actually in use. And because the pattern is so unique, the focus will automatically be drawn to THAT instead of the ***** color scheme. Or I could use it for the mesh, and use a brown or cream for the top. Yeah! Hide the evidence! Hehehehe....

I'll show off as it comes along!

Maggs

:clap

Last weekend I bought some camo yarn by mistake - thought one or two of the colors would work in a project, but when I worked a couple of rows up and it started looking like hunter's garb, I read the label. AAK!

But I think this will work out fairly well, for something utilitarian, that will only see the light of day when actually in use. And because the pattern is so unique, the focus will automatically be drawn to THAT instead of the U-G-L-Y color scheme. Or I could use it for the mesh, and use a brown or cream for the top. Yeah! Hide the evidence! Hehehehe....

I'll show off as it comes along!

Maggs

Norma, your r/w/b squiggle looks great! I love seeing the finished squiggles.

Maggs...feel free to make a camo squiggle with us. One of the reasons I'm making multiple squiggles is because I have a lot of low-quality thread (in bright colors, though) that won't work for doily or lace projects, but is just fine for a utilitarian project like this.

In fact...I've started a grid for my third squiggly! This one is going to be lilac and aqua...haven't decided on a 3rd color. Why do I think they need to be 3 colors anyway? I have 6 colors, and could use 2 or 4...or 5 or 6. But 3 seems to balance. Oh well...lilac, aqua, and something...

I think I'm doing this right -

Camo Mesh

2897895160101725402S500x500Q85.jpg

Swatch

2753767350101725402S500x500Q85.jpg

Yarn & Swatch

2957870140101725402S500x500Q85.jpg

I told ya it was U-G-L-Y!:eek

Maggs

OK, after being a miliarty wife for 20 years, I'm use to these colors!!! :D

So I guess I'm not the best person to judge whether or not this is really ugly!

I've been afraid to put it down, sort of like you're afraid to put down an overstuffed gyro sandwich...almost like you're not sure if you'll be able to pick it back up just like you laid it down.

Here it is, with 2 rows to go.

2574839030101725402LMuhXt_th.jpg

Not too bad looking from the back...

2742984160101725402GIVGKW_th.jpg

OMG - funky camo-thingie is trying to eat the crochet hook that created it!

2656298420101725402CWrepb_th.jpg

hehehe I couldn't resist that last after my DH asked me "what is it?"

Maggs (ps I think I told you I was slightly warped.)

Norma, I love how your red, white, and blue turned out. And Maggs, there's good ugly and bad ugly, you know? And that's turning out good ugly! :lol

I've become so completely distracted that I'm not sure I'm going to *ever* finish my poor squiggle. It's been sitting neglected while I've been running around doing one of this and one of that and worrying over the housework while somehow still managing to avoid it. You'd never know by my tiny attention span and obsessive need to make dishcloths that I've got a baby due in 3 weeks. :rofl

I swear I'm going to finish it before the little one arrives. I can't have a half-finished squiggle mocking me from its basket in the middle of the night, I just can't. :D

Maggs, I think your camo squiggle is cuuuuuute. Perhaps, since olive green is one of my all-time favorite colors, I am not completely objective? But, I like it.

Deb--three weeks???? My family has a ton of August birthdays--it's a good month. But I hate being pregnant in the heat, so...I won't wish for you to go past your due date (like MY August baby did--she's turning 14 on the 12th!). Maybe you could save the squigglie to distract you while you're in labor????

I still haven't figured out what color to put with the lilac and aqua...

I still haven't figured out what color to put with the lilac and aqua...

:think List the colors you have on hand and we will help you pick your third color...

:think :think or could we confuse you even more??? :hook

Krakovianka, thanks. :) I've been handling the heat ok up until the last couple of days, and now for some reason it's really bugging me. I think I'm just about *done,* you know? :lol I do have the comfort of knowing I won't go past my due date, though, since my first 2 babies were c-sections, this one has to be, too...so he's scheduled to be evicted on the 20th, and I'm officially due the 22nd. Of course, he's welcome to show up any time now, but I'm actually hoping he waits so my mother has a chance to get here. And so I can finish the squiggly! :hook

I think with lilac and aqua I'd be thinking along the lines of a soft yellow...

Archived