Squiggly-Wiggly CAL

Krakovianka

Hi everybody! It is great to see what everyone has been doing, all the color combos from chocolate-coffee browns to the beautiful brights:manyheart And the diagonal looks great!

I gave the 3 I've finished to 3 relatives. they all liked them a lot, and all said the same thing: you could sell these. I said I didn't think I could ever make any money selling them, due to the time involved, and they make such good gifts I'd much rather use them that way:D

For some reason i had a lot of trouble getting my mesh started for the new peach one, probably because my mind was elsewhere causing tension problems. I thus "invented" a new way to start it from a circle and the tension was okay I think, maybe still a little tight in places, but the corners are a little confusing when working the ruffle. Anyhow, I have completed several rounds of ruffle so hope to have it finished soon. :hook :hook :hook

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hellooooooo out there! Who is still squiggling?

My 4th squiggly is finished

th_100_2407.jpgclickable My starting mesh. For some reason I seem to have made the mesh smaller each time.

th_100_2440.jpgThe mesh does stretch when you put the ruffle on.

th_100_2442.jpgOn this one, I think I like the back as well as the front.

I don't really want to start another one, but I think I may be "hooked"! I should be deciding on yarn and a pattern for an afghan I want to make for a Christmas gift, but I already have all this pretty colored thread......

Hey, Kathy! That looks good. I still have the mesh for my third one "on the hook," and you are right! It does seem to be MUCH smaller than the last one, made in the same thread and with the same hook. I don't understand?

Squiggling is fun! I'm going to make a couple more for Christmas, and I'm going to work out some way to make a squiggly purse for my 3yo daughter--she loves to "pet" the squigglies.

Ooooooh, just got caught up on where y'all are - everyone's looks great, and we've got some more great ideas here. Love the one done on the diagonal.

I have tons of thread and should be squiggling in the heat we're having, but I have too many yarn projects in the hopper at the moment (that I'm completing in the AC, thankfully). I'll get back to more of these later this fall, but through I'd check in and see how everyone else was progressing.

• 2 months later...

Hey, those are great---love the spiral idea.....and the sherbet pastels, and the earthy primary colors!!!

I haven't made any lately....i am 75% finished with my afghan so can't get distracted.

I am glad to se squiggling is still happening:manyheart

• 10 months later...

Did anyone see the October '08 issue of Crochet World? There is a squiggly potholder pattern in there, with a leaf design incorporated into it. I think there was another little something, too. I just noticed the leaf one, though.... I didn't buy the magazine.

I had one of these I started a long time ago, but it got so confusing I put it away... I should dig it out and see if I can try and finish it.

Tina :)

Be sure to post your squiggly when you finish--I know we'd all like to see it. I still have a half-finished "freeform" squiggly around. It's meant to be a thread-buster to use up some of my odds and ends. One of these I'll get around to finishing it...

There are a couple of patterns online for these. The one that is posted on the first page of this thread: http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/projects/july99_crochet_2.html

And this one: Amazing Grid Hot Pad

I dug my old one out last night to see if I could start it up again. I got so confused within three minutes.... :( I'll keep trying (when I'm not tired....)

Tina

Oh I am soo glad that this post got bumped up. My grandmother used to make these, and I never got her pattern.. I have been meaning to disect on of hers to figure it out and never got around to it. This is great!! Digging out my cotton now!

I thought I would post what I have got done so far (actually I am one row of green farther than this, and started a second row of green last night....):

th_7260cd4f.jpg

I should take a picture of the back of it, because it is *off* big time. Maybe I should just start a new one? :blush Or just go with it? The pattern I was using is from the book 'Old Time Crochet Made Easy;. I guess it make sense what the book says, I must have just done something wrong.... I am going to keep going with it though it's almost half way done. :P

Tina

certainly didn't plan on it, but I'm starting on a squiggly of my own! After reading on someone's blog about theirs I searched around and found this thread. I have some variegated yarn that I've been trying to get rid of and this might be just right!:hook

Well, I finished mine last night! It is really quick to do, but I'm not sure the variegated yarn was the best to use. The pattern was lost, but the colors are pretty! I'll definitely make more of these! :clap

back

th_P1020061.jpg <---click

front

th_P1020062.jpg <---click

• 2 months later...
Hi

I would like to know is this CAL still going? This looks really fun,can someone direct me to a web site or book on how to do this.

I would love to join you in this CAL.

Hi and welcome to Crochetville:hook

I'm not sure how you can tell when a CAL ends. I guess as long as anyone wants to post, it's still going on.:)

Did you look at the pattern linked in the first post? That is the basic pattern most people use I think. There is lots of info in the posts in this thread...time consuming to go through but very informative.

There is a book called Learn to Do Wiggly Crochet which I believe is out of print. I saw a review online that said there is wiggly crochet in Special Techniques & Stitches, recently published by Annies Attic, but I haven't seen that book myself.

ETA: this technique is one facet of what is called surface crochet, and when I googled for that term just now I found this on designer Margret Willson's site http://www.geocities.com/mwillsondesigns/FullSurface/fullsurface.html

that may help you get started with it.

Archived