Deliver Date set for 8-14 for 2nd Annual Hospital Toy Drive

KristieMN

Here's my plan of attack. (I figure if I post it, someone will hold me to it... I'm so scatter brained about things right now...)

I plan on making at least one or two 'pillow' dogs (sewn). I have a pattern for a HUGE one, but I thought one the size of a small travel pillow would be neat.

I also plan on trying to crochet some animals, I haven't done very many of these and it would be a great excuse...

Wish me luck, I hope to get the first of the pillow critters at least cut tonight...

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kristie,

I will send some store bought stuff like last year. I will PM you for your address as I probably won't be able to find it!

Teenage boys - some comic books, maybe Harry Potter books. Funny crocheted hats - like the snowboarders wear or maybe skullies I think they are called - those hats that are tight to the head. Handheld games, decks of cards.

I would love to participate this year! I love the caterpillar and plan on making some of those, but I have a question about the pattern. I've never made animals before, but I have worked in rounds making some hats so I'm sure it's similar, but at the end of the round it doesn't say how to end. Do I slip stitch to the fist sc to join and then chain one to start the next round? Or is it worked in spirals where I don't join? (I've never done that before!)

I've mostly made afghans and shawls, except for a few baby hats, and I've been wanting to try one of Kristie's patterns for sooooo long - they are all so cute! This is the perfect opportunity.

I would love to participate this year! I love the caterpillar and plan on making some of those, but I have a question about the pattern. I've never made animals before, but I have worked in rounds making some hats so I'm sure it's similar, but at the end of the round it doesn't say how to end. Do I slip stitch to the fist sc to join and then chain one to start the next round? Or is it worked in spirals where I don't join? (I've never done that before!)

I've mostly made afghans and shawls, except for a few baby hats, and I've been wanting to try one of Kristie's patterns for sooooo long - they are all so cute! This is the perfect opportunity.

I belive when I designed that pattern (my first pattern ever!) I joined each round end with a slip stitch, then chained 1 and did the next row.

Of course, you can certainly skip that, and crochet in a continous spiral.

It is a simple pattern, either way will work. What ever you prefer.

I am getting so excited! Thank you to all who have pm'd me for my address.

I have been in contact with the hospital, they are so excited to see what we bring in!

I can tell from the perspective of a mom in that situation...when your kid is so sick and in a hospital room...having someone drop by with a gift for them is very special. Chelsea still has a stuffed monkey that she looks at and remembers taht someone dropped it by! She also has a book from another time. The last time she was in she was too sick, I guess and they must have not stopped by and we were actually disappointed. Thanks to you that make it possible.

My daughter has migraines, was having seizures, raynaud's disease and possible Lupus. One time she was in it was for pressure in her spine and they had to do a spinal tap to drain off fluid.

Thanks to those that help!

Well, I have a small pkg of toys to donate, including the tiny turtle, a mushroom, a piggie, a cupcake and some other goodies too.

I will be sending them with love next week!:)

scc51055... I pm'd you!

O.k...I have a box that came with beautiful knitted, yes knitted animals!! :D

They are adorable!

There wasnt an email in there....so I know your name, I just need your email Miss Christina!!

scc51055... I pm'd you!

O.k...I have a box that came with beautiful knitted, yes knitted animals!! :D

They are adorable!

There wasnt an email in there....so I know your name, I just need your email Miss Christina!!

I'd love to help out....I was doing a little cleaning last night (yikes!) and came across a box of new toys that my son had gotten from a relative. I just put them away 'cause he's got too many toys as it is....I don't need any more to add to the mess!!! And there were a lot of things in the box that he already had (hot wheels, smaller toys, etc.).

I just sent you a pm requesting your address.

I was just wondering what new project to start! Now I know.... I was wondering if you were going to do another drive this year. Glad to participate again. I saved your address from last year hoping you would be doing another drive :manyheart

Now to get a package together...what fun!!! :clap:yay

I PM'd you. This sounds like the perfect thing to give my "threadie fingers" a break...Sometimes I "need" instant gratification :) projects between the long ones (like my skirt), so it feels like I'm getting something accomplished! :P

I have a handful of fingerpuppets all ready to go, and I'm going to put in a bunch of other little goodies too...maybe some of cupcakes gecko bookmarks (for the guys?)....little purses...I don't know...I have a handful of patterns to go through and drool over again (YAY!)

Thanks for putting this all together Kristie.

PS, Baby Mary Melody rides on my dashboard :lol

i had a thought for the older teen scene. how about cell phone holders! they all seem to have them now. just a thought.

Or Ipod sleeves (or nano's)...easy peasy! lots of patterns out there, but it's just a small pouch to tuck the thing in. the nano's are smaller, of course, but even in thread, these would make up quickly.

Kristie,

I just found this today and I may have overlooked this in your post, but what is the date that you want them by?

Sandy

Teenage boys do like the skull caps. Stuff with the Anarchist sign the A encircled by an o. There is one in the SnB I believe. They also like stuff with skulls, it's skateboardy type stuff. CAses for cd players, ipods, phones. The new Crochet World has some patterns. Pretty much anything done in black - orange is a big color too. I do have nephews that are 20, 18, 17, 16, 12 and a 9 year old. Sports stuff can also be a big hit. What teams are around the hospital, stuff could be made in the team colors, or just generic school colors. This is MN, right. So is that the Vikings (I don't know football) - black and grey/silver. How about hockey teams? Are there any baseball teams, is it still the Twins? Are they white and navy?? Also alot of boys were jewerly, silver, hemp with beads. Hope that helps. I'm gonna try and make a cute bear I found on yarncat called the Chenille Pookie Bear. Been wanting to try it. Also on bevscountrycottage.com there are patterns for wheelchair/walker totes. So they could bring things with them.

Thank you TammyG!

I only have girls....3 of them! It is hard for me to know what they would like. :)

I am planning on brining the toys to the hospital in August. I am thinking it will be the middle of August now. They want us to be there on a Tuesday or

Thursday, so we can be on the TV show.

TV adds 10 lbs doesnt it.... Uh oh!! :D

I have been in contact with the head of the child life services. She is more than excited!

I am going to snap a picture of what I have so far and post it today..tomorrow at the latest!!

Thank you all!

Archived