what do you with all your doilies?

I have made far more doilies than I have space for, and, after giving away some to those who would truly appreciate them, I decided to use the rest on my dining table.

th_DSCN0288.jpg

(clickable)

th_DSCN0289.jpg

I have given away 90% of what I've made...

I still have more than I need...

I have four kids, and after reading about Susy's stash, I've begun thinking it might be nice make some things to give them someday when they have homes of their own.

I just have mine in boxes, I have hundreds of doilies and about 20 tablecloths, and toppers.... I don't block mine until I am ready to use or get rid of it. :eek

I love doilies but I have never had the guts to try one yet--but I will!! I admire all you ladies that are able to make such beautiful creations.:cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer

What a good question! I have made several doilies recently that I really do not have a use for. I am determined to not make a lot of things that I will have to store as my space for that is limited. So I am thinking about things like a small curtain for door made in thread, things I would have a specific useful spot for.

Your dining table looks great; all your doilies are very pretty. May I ask about the pattern for the one closest to the camera in the top picture--the swirl within a swirl? It is beautiful. :) :)

Yours look great on your dining room table.

I put them on the dining table and other flat surfaces. I also like to drape them over the backs of chairs too. I figure I will have several more in a few years so I plan to rotate them as my mood fits :)

magiccrochetfan - all these doilies are patterns I had tested for Katchkan. The one you like is called "winds of change". You could try pming her to enquire about the pattern.

Great idea to use the doilies as placemats...I use my doilies...and I give alot of them away...doilies just make me smile...

Those are just beautiful. I long for the day that I can have a nice coffee table and end tables to put my doilies on. My house such a cluttered mess right now - no where to put my stuff. :(

You can always give them away. :-) :gift

Other ideas:

1. Stitch them onto cushion covers for pillows. :tup

2. Mount and frame them as wall art. :applause

3. Also a wall decoration--fold about 1/3 of the doily over and stiffen. It will resemble a fan at this point, and may be trimmed with flowers and ribbon and hung on the wall (cute if your taste in decor runs to country or Victorian). :shrug

4. Use them on shelves, letting them drape over the front. : idea

5. Save them for special occasions (such as Christmas), and make them part of your holiday decor if they are in the way every day. :wreath

6. Buy some more flat tables or surfaces to display them!:devil:yes

I have done most of these things at one time or another...:hook I just keep making them!

I gift some of them, use some of them on flat surfaces around my house. Although if one doesn't turn out the way I wanted it to, I toss it into the dusting rag pile if it's small enough. Sometimes I find my mistake filled doilies make better dust cloths then my normal rags or paper towels.

Hugs and Cookies

Auntie K

It is so interesting reading what everyone does with theirs, and, Krakovianka, you have certainly put some thought into the subject.

Magiccrochetfan's intention to make a window curtain has me wondering - would it be possible to join doilies in a way that would make a panel to cover a window with an unattractive view?

SOMEwhere (Who knows where!) I ran across an article on what to do with 1 doily, 2 doilies, 3 etc. One of the things that stuck in my mind was a jacket with doilies around the bottom. Since we live in our rv, there really is no place for doilies, but I am satisfying my craving for them by making tiny ones the size of cd's, putting 2 together with cd's in between and hanging as sun catchers. I have only done two so far, but get a lot of pleasure seeing them slowly spin and shimmer.

Glenda

Archived