Project Totes/Bags

I am trying to find a HUGE bag to keep a work-in-progress afghan in. I'd prefer something with a handle(s) (laundry bags have too small of an opening). I've looking online, but all i'm finding is briefcase-sized things.

What about the extra large Pillow cases and adding your own handle

I use a old plastic comforter bag u know the ones they come in from the store.I just us it for yarn and projects now but I think an afghan project would work great.Oh and sometimes they do come with handles.Hey it might be cheaper then buying a large bag.If you find one on sale at a chain store.

Well I hope you find what ya need.

good luck

Ziploc now makes HUGE bags with a handle. You can get them at your local grocery store or at Walmart where the Ziploc bags are sold. You can get a box of 2 or 3, depending on how big, for around $5. I store my yarn in them.

What about the extra large Pillow cases and adding your own handle

I use a old plastic comforter bag u know the ones they come in from the store.I just us it for yarn and projects now but I think an afghan project would work great.Oh and sometimes they do come with handles.Hey it might be cheaper then buying a large bag.If you find one on sale at a chain store.

Well I hope you find what ya need.

good luck

I tried that, and since i usually put Q hook afghans in a large tote, the handles would eventually tear off the pillowcase.

I had a good bag, but i bought it 10 years ago, and of course, i can't find them anymore. Should have bought 20 when i had the chance lol.

I might have to break down and make my own.

Ziploc now makes HUGE bags with a handle. You can get them at your local grocery store or at Walmart where the Ziploc bags are sold. You can get a box of 2 or 3, depending on how big, for around $5. I store my yarn in them.

I'll have to check those out, i forgot about them. :)

I got a really big bag at The Home Depot last year that has a rounded bottom and handles. It's great for holding a big project, as well as for working the project out of. I don't know if they still sell them, though. I think they were clearanced when I bought mine. And I couldn't even tell you the department I found it in. It was in a package, folded up. I can take a picture of it, if you want.

I also have The Needlework Tote found here. It's roomy, too.

And another option, would be Hobby Lobby in their aisle of bags and things you can decorate yourself. I got a big handy bag there, too.

What can I say...I have a lot of yarn...lol.

I don't know if this would count, but I'm making a quilt afghan (uses LOTS of small squares) and I have a laundry basket that I just toss them in as I go. Since it's an open top, I don't have to open and shut it with every square, and since it's plastic, the yarn isn't going to be too heavy for it. Not sure if it'd help with a Q hook afghan though... Other ideas here sound great though!

Victoria

LL Bean has the "Boat and Tote" canvas bags and their extra large size is awesome. You have the option of with or without a zipper and can get either short or long handles. They have great colors and they last forever! I use the medium size with long handles for my smallish projects and it's fabulous. The extra large is a really great size and I use it for my laundry! I found a tote organizer pattern on Martha Stewarts website under "Good Things" and made one to hang from the handles on the inside of the bag. I can put hooks, scissors, etc and it works great. I altered it a little to fit things better.

http://www.llbean.com

Hope this helps!!

I have found pretty large bags at Good Will and Thrift stores. I am always looking so when I see one I buy it. Most of them have handels and I think the most I paid for one that was like new was $3.00

Glenda G

or what about those pop open laundry hampers. one of my secret pals sent me one as part of my package and omgosh is wonderful has handles too, i am not sure where she got them but i thin maybe target or walmart has them. i know i have seen them at joanns too. good luck:manyheart:manyheart:manyheart

Dear Virginia Hooker !!!

By far and away the absolute best tote ever to haul around a huge afghan project is this one! I own in and have loved it - especially when doing a queen size ripple afghan! It is perfect! :clap On the page it will show under it the slightly smaller one -- but the ultimate one on top is best! It is green with the Lion brand logo and is HUGE!!!! The price is good too as it is on sale!;)

Click on the link to see!

http://www.lionbrand.com/cgi-bin/sqlsearch.fcgi?store=%2Fstores%2Feyarn&resultPageTemplate=ResultPage.html&resultItemTemplate=ResultItem.txt&noResultPageTemplate=NoResultPage.html&case=no&primaryServer=www.lionbrand.com&minPrice=0&noBoolean=1&searchText=tote&submit1=Search+Now%21

Have Fun!

I use gift bags to hold all my stuff. You can increase in size as the project grows or you can start with a big one and put all your yarn in it. The best part is when you're finished you already have the gift bag for it!

The Crochetville tote bags at the Cafe Press store are a lot bigger than they look. I've got one, and when I put a project in it, I had to look around for something else to put in there with it as well, because it just looked too lonely in that big bag all by itself. :lol

I found some of the Ziploc Big bags at the store this afternoon. Looks like they will work well for now. I also got one of the Lion Brand Bags. And i bought a beach bag for, well, beach stuff (needed a big bag for that too).

I'll still keep an eye out for something very large made out of fabric. Since the Ziploc bags are something i like it,s just a matter of time before they are D/C'd.

Vonnie, the Longaberger basket looks like it's a good idea, for something that would stay home. The bags would be easier for me to take traveling with me. But i'll definitely keep the basket idea in mind once we move, and i get a living room to crochet in again (i live with roomates). :)

i've also used the Ziploc bags..they are great!! My daughter just gave me a Vera Bradley look-a-like bag and had it monogrammed "Nana"...i love it!!! it's big and roomy and soft and washable...can't beat that, huh?

Cynthia:)

Glad you got the Lion one - it is great and the pattern book large pocket in the front keeps my pattern from getting really dog earred in between times that I work on my project!

Cynthia - where do you get your monogramming done on your bags??? I have several VB's and would love to get them mono'd.:)

I use the XXL ziploc bags. They are great for sorting out projects and future projects. My sis-in-law just got a shoulder tote/bag from IKEA though, and I have serious serious bag envy. I'm totally getting there this week to snap one up... or maybe two! $10 each! (I couldnt find them on the IKEA website, but they are HUGEnormous. They are green and white with a leaf print, and snap closed. No zippers!)

Glad you got the Lion one - it is great and the pattern book large pocket in the front keeps my pattern from getting really dog earred in between times that I work on my project!

Cynthia - where do you get your monogramming done on your bags??? I have several VB's and would love to get them mono'd.:)

I would think a place like Things Remembered could do it. Or one of the local monogramming places, the ones that do the monogramming and such for high school shirts and jackets.

Have you looked in the purse sections?

Right now they're putting out beach totes and they can be very large. I get them all the time.

Once I got what they called an overnighter bag. I still have it and it's huge with pockets. I even got it on clearance for about $7.

:)

I saw some really cute large beach bags at Target this week. I have used beach bags for many projects. They have handles, can keep your project clean, and are bright and colorful. Some even have zipper compartments to put in hooks and other things.:yes

I hope you find just the right bag.

:manyheart

I am trying to find a HUGE bag to keep a work-in-progress afghan in. I'd prefer something with a handle(s) (laundry bags have too small of an opening). I've looking online, but all i'm finding is briefcase-sized things.

I love these bags for hauling stuff around! They're woven plastic, EXTREMELY durable and strong, you just can't kill 'em! Depending on where you get them from (lots of dollar stores carry them) they come in three sizes, small (which is about the size of a regular brown paper grocery bag but with handles), medium (about the size of a department store shopping bag) and large (these are gigantic, and perfect for storing and carrying large amounts of yarn). eBay: 20 Plastic Woven Shopping bags SZ:45X40CM (item 190091235106 end time Mar-16-07 20:54:06 PDT)

Elle

Archived