Is there anything you cant stand to crochet?

I love crochet and have been doing it a long time but I still cant stand making afghans...yet I do.

I have been working on ds2's spiderweb afghan and now its getting so boring and monotonous. but yet I should have had it done weeks ago.

and worst part is now my family has put in orders for 3 more ugg.

dh and ds1 are actually agrueing about it ugggggggggg.

cant I just make them a sweater or socks? ( my 2 favs)

Anyone else do this? what is the one item you have a hard time getting the gumption to do?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't like to make toys or stuffed animals. I used to, made lots of care bears and other stuffed animals but now don't like to. I would rather make tableclothes or doilies than anything else. I will make afghans, but have so many don't have much use for more......

I can't handle making wearables. I do love to make afghans, so much so that I'm becoming over-run with them. Mind you, I'm too scared to get too adventurous with the patterns for them.

I went through a phase a while back of making scarves. I made dozens of them, and now I can't stand them.

Thread... anything with thread... Or more precisely, anything with less than a D hook. I've used thread for things before where I could use a D, but nothing intricate. I'm afraid to try most wearables, but that's because I'd have to do major size adjustments to most patterns and I don't tailor cloth patterns well....

Stuffies. No matter what hook I use, it always has little gaps that the stuffing can be seen through. My youngest wants all the stuffed animals she's seen on this site but I can't bring myself to make them.

Hugs and Cookies

Auntie K

i chuckle as i read through all these responses because i think i can relate to all of them but i think my biggest pet peeve is weaving in ends, for whatever reason it drives my bonkers i also can't stand sewing things together. i love making stuffed animals, can't stand sewing them together or the stuffing that shows through but i keep making them anyways. also afraid of wearable because i too do not keep to gauge, don't have the patiece to do that.

Granny squares...still burnt out by making them in the 70's. Also don't like making the bullion stitch...usually substitute another stitch in its place if something calls for it...

Afghans are my favorites. I hate to make quilt afghans that are made up of 1 1/2 inch squares. Too many ends to weave. I keep saying I will never make another and yet keep printing patterns. O Well!

I LOVE all the stuffies, yet have no talent when it comes to joining the pieces...it ends up looking deformed!:eek So when it doesn't turn out like I want, or takes me 3 hours to get it together right, I get very ill.:angry Gonna have to keep trying cause people keep asking for them....

I like doing most things, but i have a baby outfit someone asked me to make that has a row of flower stiches. each one you fasten off and start new for the next.... I hate doing this stich. I have been putting this off so long and the baby is due next month... This will be the last time I make this pattern.

I can't handle making wearables. I do love to make afghans, so much so that I'm becoming over-run with them. Mind you, I'm too scared to get too adventurous with the patterns for them.

I went through a phase a while back of making scarves. I made dozens of them, and now I can't stand them.

Those are the phases I went through. I can't stand making wearables for myself as they are always too bulky and never fit right. I have a million scarves too, tried to sell them (unsuccessfully) so they're sitting in plastic bags in my car's trunk. I love making afghans, though it takes forever for me to finish one because I think of every excuse in the world to NOT work on them..... Could it be I hate crocheting?

I'm getting to where I hate making wearables since my track record with them has been dismal. I'm working on a top using lighter yarn, hoping that part of the problem was the heavier weight yarn which made my body look thicker. I get bored making afghans after awhile; they get monotonous. I haven't tried stuffed animals yet but probably will soon.

I like making scarves, caps, and dishcloths best because they're so short-term. I've whined in other threads about my short attention span! :lol

I avoid anything with lots of color changes just so I won't have more ends to weave. They never look right to me, I'm never happy, but I know they're okay - lots of my stuff has been repeatedly washed and dried and is fine. I just DREAD it so much!

I was in the process of doing a 2 strand ugly blanket...and cut it off and threw it out cause I just couldn't deal with working on it anymore...then I started a 3 strand blanket from the middle (cause I know I have issues with working the whole length of each row anyway) and cut if off and tied it off so that the mini-me's have a little play hotpad...actually I did that twice, so they have 2 play hotpads...so I just gave up on the fact that I hate to make full sized blankets and put all the yarn back in my stash!! Now I'm working on a much smaller project that I will actually get some satisfaction in seeing it getting closer & closer to finished!!

Jessie

I can't really think of a specific thing I can't stand making. I do hate weaving in ends...although, the hidden ends method I found while making Granny Squares has made it a bit easier.

I did have doilies and thread for a while after making 16 purple doilies in less than a week, on top of everything else I was doing. They were for a wedding shower, and turned out nicely, but after that I didn't make anything with thread for a long time. I did get back into thread this past week during a CAL, but using size 5 and a size D hook made it much easier!

I will make almost anything, but I cant stand tunsinian, I somehow always end up with the work wrapped around itself. I like making afghans and my favorite thing to crochet is anything for babies.

I'm starting to really dislike working with thread - I'm making my first poncho with some nice black crochet thread... but I'm starting to realise that I may be making it for years as with thread the progress is sooooo slow :(

The only thing that is keeping me going is how good it looks so far, and how much I love thread crochet items.

Archived