Cathedral Window Tableclothe

habetlerm

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I like the larger motifs done with #10 thread anyway (as opposed to many smaller motifs). How much thread did it take, habetlerm? And if you don't mind, I would like to know what brand you used? I really like Cebélia, but it would be prohibitively expensive to work something so large with that. On the other hand, I certainly wouldn't want to use thread so cheap it would fall apart.

I read of a woman who saved string — all sorts of string, including what used to wrap around the newspapers. (Remember that, anyone?) She crocheted some enormous, heirloom-type piece with all this junk she had saved. It promptly disintegrated, almost before her eyes. There is such a thing as false economy.

Thanks for compliments.

Carla,

I couldn't tell you how much thread it took because I would buy it as I ran out. Dumb huh? But economical.

I used Aunt Lydia's which I find very easy to work with and not as expensive as some.

Carla,

I couldn't tell you how much thread it took because I would buy it as I ran out. Dumb huh? But economical.

Not dumb at all. In fact, I was thinking how nice it would be to spread out the costs like that. But I suppose you would be forced to use white or you could end up with non-matching dye-lots. I was even thinking how the motifs could be tea-dyed after crocheting if you came up with a very precise formula and method for making the tea bath. (That is, if you wanted an off-white or beige and didn't want to buy all the thread at once. I tea-dye things every so often.) Hmmmmm...

Oh my goodness, that is so beautiful. I looked at making that pattern once. Actually I looked at a lot of table cloths and bedspreads and never did one. I think I don't have enough patience. I just stick with the doily work. I do love that one thou. You must be so proud.

Beautiful! I agree that your photo looks better then the one on the pattern page. Maybe you should e-mail them your photo.

Thanks for all the info on the hook, thread, etc.

It looks to me that the last round says "sew motifs tog through top of sc." so I'm thinking they're whip stitched together. Maybe.

I'm going to try one motif and see what I think. Yours inspried me! I've done a round tablecloth (fairly small actually, but seems big to me) and doilies.

Debbi

Absolutely Gorgeous Heirloom! Great Job! as for your other table cloth, I will look thru some of my older patterns and see what i come up with! It looks like something i have seen! I will let you know either way!

• 2 years later...

This is filet crochet, but I don't know the name of the pattern. Those little magazines (was it "Crochet World" back in the 30's, 40', and 50's?) had a lot of patterns like that--if you could find their archives online! You also might be able to chart it yourself--it looks like you can see the kinds of stitches she used pretty easily. Good Luck!

Collette

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived