Lumberjack Flannelghan CAL / finished ghans in Post 1

RoseRed

I too have been wanting to make this forever. I bought the yarn a few weeks ago but haven't been brave enough to start (I hate the heat). I am making it for our king size bed (fun huh?) and I am making it with Caron One Pound in Cream and Expresso. I'll keep tabs here but I doubt I will start until it cools off. S'ok tho as I have lots of other things I "should" work on anyways.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is my second flannelghan! I absolutely love this pattern!! My edging is a bit different, but it still looks good! :D I made this for my friend who LOVES, and I mean LOVES!!! the Pittsburgh Steelers!

2673296818_a07cf93322_m.jpg

Ok so I want to go ahead and start this blanket but I am trying to figure out ratio and size of squares. I am doing this for a Cal King bed (mattress measures 72 X 84).

So what size should the completed blanket be and how big should my squares be to keep the ratio of the flannel... am I making sense?

Help! Please!

I'm really glad to see this picking up again!

As far as king size goes... obviously you'd want a minimum of 72X84.... (I'm guessing the 84 is across right?)

It depends on if you want 5 or 7 strips across... If you use 12" squares and 7 across, you'll get exactly 84. If you want 90" you'll need 13" for 7 strips, or 18" for 5. I'd suggest 7, but if you only do 5 up, you won't get the full 72... you could do it 7X7, but that'd be pretty long...

hmm... I thought I had a half decent answer, but I guess I don't.... I'd almost be tempted to use rectangles instead of squares because of the ratio of the size of the matress.... I'll have to think on this some more...

I'm really glad to see this picking up again!

As far as king size goes... obviously you'd want a minimum of 72X84.... (I'm guessing the 84 is across right?)

It depends on if you want 5 or 7 strips across... If you use 12" squares and 7 across, you'll get exactly 84. If you want 90" you'll need 13" for 7 strips, or 18" for 5. I'd suggest 7, but if you only do 5 up, you won't get the full 72... you could do it 7X7, but that'd be pretty long...

hmm... I thought I had a half decent answer, but I guess I don't.... I'd almost be tempted to use rectangles instead of squares because of the ratio of the size of the matress.... I'll have to think on this some more...

haha now you see my problem... actually the 84 is length, my dh is quite tall so we thought the Cal King being longer than wider would be better....

I am still thinking too, ... how much overhang should you have for an afghan?

This is my second flannelghan! I absolutely love this pattern!! My edging is a bit different, but it still looks good! :D I made this for my friend who LOVES, and I mean LOVES!!! the Pittsburgh Steelers!

2673296818_a07cf93322_m.jpg

I actually think those colors look good together. You did a great job!

I have my strips finished (well the ends aren't weaved in:blush... as if they would be). These were easy to do while it's hot (they stayed off my lap for the most part). But I think I may wait to put them together and do the edging. I did mine in light blue and white, so I'll save the light blue to sew together and do the edding. If I decide I want white, I can just pick some up, no biggy.

Debbi

• 2 weeks later...

This is what I have so far. Waiting for a good cooled off time where I am not needing to work on anything else to do more but I thought you'd like to see how its coming along.

Caron One Pound in Expresso and Cream

th_073108001.jpg

th_073108002.jpg

*peeking in* Hey all! I've been busy avoiding things for awhile, but I haven't forgotten y'all! I'm still working on the "modified" version for my son...switching colors where I would normally turn so that I won't have to stitch the strips together. It's coming along well, but slowly! lol

I'm also working on a camoghan for my younger nephew, a pacifier bear for a friend and a knifty knitter project (legwarmers for walking this winter). I haven't had a lot of desire to do much this summer, I'm fighing off a depression again. But I'm getting better, and if things stay under control at home, I'll be set!!

All the new additions look wonderful!!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Congrats on finishing! It looks good. Having the joining that way does kind of break up the pattern. But it does give it more of a step look. If someone wanted to do that joining, they could do a stitch in between the color changes. There was an afghan on the Drum CAL where someone did black between the color changes and then black for boarder of each strip to jion and it almost looked like the squares were done individually with a boarder around them. I remembered that because I liked the look.

Debbi

I agree with you that having that line/seam does break up the pattern a bit. When I started this afghan I had intentions of sewing the strips together. I don't like to sew seams and after starting this one found the flat braid join and adore it! It is so much fun and easy! I like how it turned out even with the seams and it doesn't seem to break it up too much, but a bit. Any way the recipient is happy with it so I guess that is what matters. :)

I am new but when I saw this in a book a long time ago, I have always wanted to make it sooooo I FINALLY did! I am still amazed at how fast it worked up. It took me 5 days to make it.

I used UT Vols colors in it even though I am not an "orange" fan. It was made for a friend of mine and he LOVES it.

Here is the link to the picture: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28381718@N03/2807046231/in/set-72157606057606231/

I have enjoyed looking at everyone's finished projects!

set-72157606057606231

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone! I am doing another Flannelghan! I totally love this pattern. This time I am doing it in Cape Cod Blue and Country Basket which is a varagated blue. I have all the info on my Ravelry page but no pictures yet. Also I am using Caron One Pound..I LOVE THAT YARN!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey ladies, Was thinking of making one of these for my daughter who is due feb. 3rd. What changes would have to be made to make it baby size? Any idea how much yarn it would take?

Archived