Lumberjack Flannelghan CAL / finished ghans in Post 1

RoseRed

hiya RoseRed! I have previously made you flannelghan and loved it. now I need to make an afghan for my nephew that is in squares and using the four colors of the autism ribbon. so I am not going to be blending the colors..just using 2 strands of the same colors. I would like to make the squares a tad bit smaller...so that it is maybe 6 squares wide and 8 rows in length? do you have any idea how many I should chain and how many rows I would need to do this? I guess so that it is about an eight inch square instead of a 10 inch square? I love this pattern! so pretty and quick to make up! thanks for your help.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just can't let this thread show up and not comment on what an AMAZINGLY warm and good lookin and SO comfortable is this gift to crochetiers from RoseRed. Every old fogey should have one in his cabin-in-the-woods. They might even work on young fogeys! Regardless, life is good with a RoseRed Lumberjack Flannelghan! Sleep under one and you'll wake up invigorated and ready to split a cord of fahrwood! They make you better lookin! Your friends will envy you! I think they have supernatural powers....

Don't you??

Just can't let this thread show up and not comment on what an AMAZINGLY warm and good lookin and SO comfortable is this gift to crochetiers from RoseRed. Every old fogey should have one in his cabin-in-the-woods. They might even work on young fogeys! Regardless, life is good with a RoseRed Lumberjack Flannelghan! Sleep under one and you'll wake up invigorated and ready to split a cord of fahrwood! They make you better lookin! Your friends will envy you! I think they have supernatural powers....

Don't you??

Absolutely!!! My DH LOVES his- and is actually snuggled under it now!!! My DD's BF can be found to have his with him at all times too- and he's a young fogey!!:lol:lol

• 1 month later...

Rose,

Let me add my thanks to everybody else's. These really do go together fast and look great. My son and I went to the store and he picked out his own colors. Why am I not surprised it was SpiderMan red and blue. I think it turned out really nice. Thing I learned. I did the attach as you go method. Worked real well. Well, because I'm neurotic, I whip stiched the edges anyway. It did not need the stiching, but by the time I figured that out, I was not going to go back and undo the others. So I continued. It looked good both ways. Having the extra stiching is probably not a bad thing for a 4 year old. I think that I am still stiching to tight, my squares are more rectangular, but not so must as to make it look bad. I bought 7 lbs of yarn, 4 red, 3 blue. And have about 1.5 lbs left between red and blue. Guess I should make a matching something. The ghan perfectly fits his twin size bed with 5 strips. I did a simple border of 2 doubles in the accent color. My phone does not take the best pics, the ghan is much lighter than the pic makes it look. The yarn I used was CARON one pound, and the colors are Scarlet and Cape Cod blue.

Thank you for the pattern, I am sure it will get years of love.

Jason

post-56990-135897744462_thumb.jpg

Rose,

Let me add my thanks to everybody else's. These really do go together fast and look great. My son and I went to the store and he picked out his own colors. Why am I not surprised it was SpiderMan red and blue. I think it turned out really nice. Thing I learned. I did the attach as you go method. Worked real well. Well, because I'm neurotic, I whip stiched the edges anyway. It did not need the stiching, but by the time I figured that out, I was not going to go back and undo the others. So I continued. It looked good both ways. Having the extra stiching is probably not a bad thing for a 4 year old. I think that I am still stiching to tight, my squares are more rectangular, but not so must as to make it look bad. I bought 7 lbs of yarn, 4 red, 3 blue. And have about 1.5 lbs left between red and blue. Guess I should make a matching something. The ghan perfectly fits his twin size bed with 5 strips. I did a simple border of 2 doubles in the accent color. My phone does not take the best pics, the ghan is much lighter than the pic makes it look. The yarn I used was CARON one pound, and the colors are Scarlet and Cape Cod blue.

Jason

It came out beautifully!!!

• 3 months later...

It's been along time since I posted, and I can't get my pic to post, but here is the link to the flannalghan bedspread I made. I did change the boarder, to one row hdc in color a, row 2 in color b, is two hdc on fptr, row three is color hdc, and row four is color a and b reverse single crochet. I hope you like it

7167734737_0818ec534f.jpg

.crochet flannelghan bedspread by steelerlady1, on Flickr

• 8 months later...

I'm not so sure I need ANOTHER CAL to join but The Hubby likes how this afghan looks so I'll probably start one for him once I get all caught up on what I got going now!!  I apologize for bringing up an old thread - I didn't realize it was that old LOL!..

No apologies necessary, hun.  I love that this thread comes up every now and then.

I should've said something before - I guess I just wasn't thinking.  Everyone's guage is a little different.  If the number of rows comes out rectangular instead of square - you can just not do the last row.  If it's too short - you can add another.  It's a very forgiving pattern.

• 1 month later...

Rose,

Jason

I love those colours... GOY :cheer

• 1 year later...

Rose, thank you so much for sharing this design! I love it! I'm making it now for my nephew's graduation present in his school colors. I can't believe how quick it is working up and can't wait to see the finished afghan. Thanks again!

Rose, thank you so much for sharing this design! I love it! I'm making it now for my nephew's graduation present in his school colors. I can't believe how quick it is working up and can't wait to see the finished afghan. Thanks again!

I second that emotion :wlol

Was just thinking about doing another of these myself :think

• 3 years later...
On 1/13/2011 at 9:00 AM, RoseRed said:

The link for this join method is dead.  Can someone point me to this join method instead of whip stitching strips together? :)  Thank you in advance.

59 minutes ago, Knit Happens said:

The link for this join method is dead.  Can someone point me to this join method instead of whip stitching strips together? :)  Thank you in advance.

Could you give us some idea of what the joining method was in the post.  This CAL has fallen into cyber limbo.

You might find something at Crochet cabana  joining with a hook

or just look around the site

On 1/13/2011 at 9:00 AM, RoseRed said:

On 8/29/2018 at 0:44 AM, darski said:

Could you give us some idea of what the joining method was in the post.  This CAL has fallen into cyber limbo.

You might find something at Crochet cabana  joining with a hook

or just look around the site

Hi Darski; thanks much for the reply.  I know the post is soooo old. :)   I had been meaning to make this a long time ago. I do not want to make strips and whip stitch them together.  I think when I do this maybe I'll work a small sample first and do 4 squares and then just change colors directly onto the project as if starting a next row but with the new colors and see how that looks.  Basically, I don't want to whipstitch strips together, because I don't want to work with strips. Also, certainly the whipstitching is going to be with 1 color yarn going through 2 different colored squares.  But, the gist of the post for an alternate method was this:

Alternate Joining Method

For those of you who just cannot stand the thought of whipstitching this together busy-bee-lmt posted a picture TUT on how to attach the strips as you go. It's image intensive and clearly detailed. You'll need to decide before you begin your 2nd strip if you want to use this joining method. Post 1835 http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showpost.php?p=2015994&postcount=1835

On 8/29/2018 at 0:44 AM, darski said:

And that method, whatever it is/was, has gone into vapors.

12 minutes ago, Knit Happens said:

Oh, you know what I never realized all these years?  I thought the strips were worked from left to right changing colors; I never saw that it is worked X rows of 1 color and X rows of the next color.  I think all along I've been mistaking THIS pattern for another where you work with 2 or 3 colors across and drop a color, which makes the "plaid" or perhaps "gingham" effect.  My bad.

Archived