Lumberjack Flannelghan CAL / finished ghans in Post 1

RoseRed

Actually - think of it as a job and you'll have to sit and get it done after the babies born. It's not that you're really busy - it's just that you don't get to sleep.

Seriously, babies spend a lot of time sleeping and you'll need something quiet to do so you don't wake it up. Dishes and vaccuuming aren't fun and they're not quiet lol.

just think - the joy of diapers.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I finished my Spiderman RR and this Flannelghan is my next project. I am excited to get started. I made a swatch with an N hook and my square is too small, so I need to fiddle around a bit.

This will be a graduation for my nephew and in his college colors of black and red. I am excited to get started with a new afghan!

Actually - think of it as a job and you'll have to sit and get it done after the babies born. It's not that you're really busy - it's just that you don't get to sleep.

Seriously, babies spend a lot of time sleeping and you'll need something quiet to do so you don't wake it up. Dishes and vaccuuming aren't fun and they're not quiet lol.

just think - the joy of diapers.

:lol You're right. Mostly it's that with everything going on at work, I've just been too tired to pick up a hook at night. I truly hope to get a good chunk of it done this weekend. Like I said, I'm enjoying the colors and want to get it done, I've just been so beat the last few weeks.

UPDATE: I just ordered some mill end yarn from Angelicrafts.com, which was referred on a Crochetville thread. I can't wait to receive it and start.

Cost: $3 for "around a pound" They say it's 15-18 oz. per bundle/skein

Shipping: $6.18 for a total of 8 bundles (4 each of Claret and Cafe) (roughly 8 lbs.)

Total: $30.18

I received my yarn yesterday. It's beautiful and I think the colors are going to work well together. I will be starting on my flannelghan either at lunch today or tonight.

I started my foundation chain and it's only measuring 6.5 inches wide. I'm using 2-strands worsted weight with an "N" hook.

Did anyone else have to go up in hook size? If so, what size are you using?

Now I have to wait until I get home to start, I'm thinking I might have to go to size "p" hook.

Are you using a Boye or Bates? I find the Boye N to be much smaller.

It is a Boye. I had two "P" hooks that were different mm'ers (plastic, and I don't know the brand) so I ended up using a "P" hook that is 10 mm I believe (don't have with me so I'm double check when I get home. I already have about 6-7 blocks of the first strip done. I increased the number of DC's so my blocks are measuring about 11" x 11", which is a nice size. It's working up really fast and I will be up late tonight working on it I'm sure so I will start on the 2nd strip tonight. My strips are going to be 9 blocks long so that it adaquately covers our queen size bed without having to fight for cover :lol.

I love the color combination (burgundy and cafe). So far hubby likes also, but said it will not be heavy enough for what we like to sleep with alone.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's another one. I used tan and antique white. I'm working on a thread-crochet top, which is going so slow, it'll take me into retirement. :lol I needed something that I could get a sense of accomplishment from. I made it slightly smaller by only doing 11 rows in each square.

r9kh2p.jpg

Here's another one. I used tan and antique white. I'm working on a thread-crochet top, which is going so slow, it'll take me into retirement. :lol I needed something that I could get a sense of accomplishment from. I made it slightly smaller by only doing 11 rows in each square.

Very nicely done!!!:cheer I currently on my 3rd strip.

Beautiful!!! I'll add it to the 1st post when I get home. You'll have to remind me tho. MY memory is like a, a, ..... one of those bowls with the holes in it to drain the water out.

• 1 month later...

This afghan is like the beloved Cat that came back!

Just today I was recommending that someone come here for the pattern and the pics.

I have decided to make my "green one that I just can't get done" into my weekly sewing circle project for the next while until it is finished. I have to get that thing done just for my own sanity. There's no excuse as the colours are wonderful and it is certainly a fast mover.

Love this ghan.

• 4 weeks later...

No one reminded me ugh! Better late than never I guess. That gorgeous beige on beige is in the Hall of Fame. I just love the view you have!!!!!!!!!

Amy - it'll be great to have you!

Hi, all. Long time, no see.... Anyway, just wanted to let you know that I finished another one. This one is in burgundy and soft white (RHSS). Haven't had a chance to take a pic of it yet, but I'll try to do that tonight.

I'm thinking of starting another one...they'd make great Christmas presents. Is anyone else currently working on one?

Yay! Glad to see this is still alive and kicking. The one I'm making for my mom is on hold until the weather cools a bit. I just didn't get it done before Seamus was born. I've been working on small things while he's napping...

Can I join? I started one. I have wanted to make this forever. And now I don't have a lot of "need to make" items I can do other things. This will be a gift though, I'm sure. I started it last night. Deciding to try it out I only bought some yarn and can go back and get more. I'm doing it in Light Blue and White, using Red Heart SS. I figured that would be a good color for a couple, man or even a woman. Even though I'm using an N hook, mine is only 9" wide, but that's fine.

Debbi

Debbie - it's awesome to have you here! Of course you're welcome.

If you're sq is only 9" wide then make sure you do less rows so that your gauge comes out to 9 inches square.

If you do 9" x 5 strips it'll still be 45 inches wide. Plus the border and you'll still have a full size ghan.

I think it'll get busy again once it cools off everywhere. Could you imagine making a 2 strand ghan when it's 115* outside?!? It's

Actually done in strips it's not too bad... Of coures it's only in the 90s outside here... cooler... ;) Done inside where it's pretty cool, it's not too bad. I've found it not too hard, I just keep the long strip on the side of me and off my lap if I can. But yes on my lap it's way too hot. Not sure when I'll put it together. That will be hot. Maybe I'll drink ice cold water, turn up the AC and turn on the fan:fan.

Debbie - it's awesome to have you here! Of course you're welcome.

If you're sq is only 9" wide then make sure you do less rows so that your gauge comes out to 9 inches square.

If you do 9" x 5 strips it'll still be 45 inches wide. Plus the border and you'll still have a full size ghan.

Thank you for welcoming me. I wanted mine are square. I wanted that look so I measured the first one and counted the rows to keep them all that way. I think with the boarder it should be fine. I'm doing 7 blocks up, so it will be long enough too.

Thanks again.

Debbi

Archived