Lumberjack Flannelghan CAL / finished ghans in Post 1

RoseRed

I am in the process of making my first Flannelghan (I have one more strip to finish..then I am going to whipstitch them together) my question is about the border. I have noticed that some people have done different borders around the outside. I am not sure that to do...I am still a beginner so I could handle the first row with the HDC but I am not sure about the rest...and also....do you use 2 strands of yarn together for the border also????

THanks in advance for the help!

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Emily-

Congrats on getting almost done your first (of many... they're addicting...) Flannelghan! I can't wait to see pictures.

As far as the border goes... hold two strands together. I haven't used RoseRed's original border yet on the two I've made. It looks like her directions are pretty simple and streight forward. The key is to make sure you add stitches in the corners. When doing a simple SC or HDC stitc around, I'll often just use 3 stitches in the corner stitch. If you're not feeling adventurous, I'd just follow what RoseRed says to the letter, or if you're confused, let us know what's puzzling you and we'll point you in the right direction.

I hope I helped and didn't confuse you....

I can't believe my yarn arrived already!! I just ordered it from knitting-warehouse.com on Sunday. And it got here today. The yellow I ordered for the Gold is PERFECT!!! The blue....not so perfect...at least not to me. It's not as bright a blue as I think it should be, it's kind of muted. But hubby likes it, and since it will be for him, I'll use it anyway. Now to print off the instructions and get started. I have to split my crochet time between this and a baby blanket I'm working on for my niece. Seems like I just made the one I did when she was born, and now I'm making one for her baby. Where does time go??

I added Julie Y's to the Hall of fame. I can't wait to see how all these are going to turn out!

Hopefully I'll have some more computer time since life is finally calming down again - YAY for that!

:yay

I've been missing ya! How are you and Amber holding up? I'm sure it hasn't been fun. :hugs to you, Amber, DH and dad!

I promise to get working on the yellow/green one for Boo this weekend... probably while doing laundry...

I AM SO EXCITED...I FINISHED MY FIRST FLANNELGHAN..YOU CAN SEE IT HERE

Looks good, but the link didn't work for me... I had to go to your flickr page. I'm actually on Ravelry, but not everyone here is yet... (just an FYI... can't get to Ravelry if you're not a member at this point...)

The good news is that I finished a strip on my greens flannelghan.

The bad news is that it is the first strip.:eek

Well, at least I am now onto strip no. 2 and even better news is that I have found my other ball of the lighter green. :wlol

ah well... it will get done eventually.

Glad you're making progress Darski! I've compleatly stalled on my green/yellow one. I had some pink and purple balls just lying on the dresser that were annoying me to no end so they've had my attention this past week or so... maybe this week I'll actually get some work done on this one...

I'm doing OK. I've been running since before Thanksgiving and it's finially catching up to me. I don't remember feeling this tired and drained ever.

It's kinda cool to not be on the computer for hours everyday. For a while there it was almost like a lifeline. Life's finally settled back into normal.

esiepiela - your ghan's in post 1!

Just a note to let you know, Rose, that the Flannalgan you sent me worked overtime a few days ago.

I went up to the crick last week, to check on things and plow out the driveway. Welp when i got there, not only was the snow too deep to get up to the cabin, the power had been off for at least a day. I trudged on foot up to the cabin only to find that it was 34 degrees INSIDE, in the bright sunlight!

So... I truged back down the hill and went to a neighbor's where i called the power company. It was 6pm before they got the power back on and i was able to turn on the furnace. And THEN it took till 11pm just to get the place up to 60 degrees.

Now I have a couple other afgans here in Spokane, but the onlyest one I have up at the crick is Rose's Flannelgan. And had it not been for that incredibly warm and cozy Flannelgan... i'd been a Jimbosickle for sure.

But I was able to wrap up in your Flannalgan and stayed nice and toasty, looking out the winda at about 18 inches of pristeen snow. Twas just beautiful up there (you can see a shot i took of the crick in my blog).

So here i am, back safe and sound (well as sound as I get anyways), and thanking RoseRed once again.

Grateful and unfrozen

jimbo

Wow Jimbo! Glad you had the Flannelghan to keep you warm. Mine's the favorite at this apartment... but I'm guessing the snow was sooo pretty...

I've finished the first strip of the yellow and green one finally!! I've finished the first square of the next strip too. Hopefully I'll get this one done soon. Looks like it'll be about 31" square before a border. Using 2 strands Bernat Softee Baby and an I hook. I'll try and get a pic of the progress today.

Very pretty!! I love the light/dark yarn combinations.

I've been promising my mom a new afghan for oh... about a year or so now... (The one she's been using was a wedding present 33.5 years ago now... and it looks it.) She said she loved the look of the one I made for DH's dad. So, now she's going home and measuring the afghan she has because it's just the right size. She's also got to tell me colors. I'm thinking maybe a burgandy and navy... Her problem is that her living room is brown and beige. Absolutly no color! Well, a little, there is some blown glass in the corner, but it's all very light colors. She doesn't want a "vanilla" afghan... hmm... I'm just going to drag her with me to the store. Not good for the stashbusting, but I know it'll make her happy :)

My first lumberjack flannelghan! I made this as a birthday present for my friend Eugene, and took this pic with my cell phone. I just couldn't wait to give it to him...and he absolutely loved it!

2221468866_abcfff5278.jpg?v=0

Very cool Jessica!! I'm glad to know your friend loved it too. It's a great combo and you did a great job.

I just finished joining the 5 strips for Boo's blankie and did the first round of the border. I can't find my pattern book of borders and am too brain dead at the moment to wing one. Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to finish it up and get a picture. It really is pretty cute, about 29" square at the moment.

I read it every day, and it's so true: all these flannelghans look great!

Thanks to all of you who share with the rest of us.

I haven't started another one yet, but I'm still thinking of making one without sewing or crocheting the strips. Just a one-piece afghan.

Hmmm, now where did I put that hook...:hook

I read it every day, and it's so true: all these flannelghans look great!

Thanks to all of you who share with the rest of us.

I haven't started another one yet, but I'm still thinking of making one without sewing or crocheting the strips. Just a one-piece afghan.

Hmmm, now where did I put that hook...:hook

oooOOOOo As always, can't wait to see what you create Gene!

Looks great! I really like the way they all are turning out. I think I might have to add this to my project list!!!

Looks great! I really like the way they all are turning out. I think I might have to add this to my project list!!!

Oh please do! They are so much fun and I love seeing all the combos everyone's been coming up with!

Archived