Lumberjack Flannelghan CAL / finished ghans in Post 1

RoseRed

Yay LeaAnne! It looks awesome! I am still chugging away at mine in super slow motion now that I put off my deadline till April! I am such a terrible procrastinator. But I do have 3 strips done, which I believe will be to be my halfway point =)

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
I'm working on one of these for my DH. Navy blue and oatmeal. Have 1 strip finished already.

I plan on making one of these for my hubby. Looks like fun and not too hard. Thanks RoseRed for the pattern, and to all who posted a pic: thanks for the inspiration! =)

... my DH LOVES his flannelghan! I like the colors you picked, kdwaye!

This is one of my fave patterns, simply because it looks like so much work, but is really quick and FUN!:manyheart

I made one for my dh too, and he loves it! He chose black and red and wanted it to look like a checkerboard rather than flannel, but I used the same pattern and all. I will try to get a pic of it, and now am thinking of making one for myself. :clap

Has anyone actually counted the number of RH SS skeins of each color it takes to make the "regular", 2-color flannelghan? It should take more of one than the other. I want to make one with a P hook since I tend to crochet tightly. I've 3 1/2 lbs, 5-7 lbs and some others, I think. I think my wife figured it would be 20 some skeins and that didn't go over real well. I think it will be significantly less than that or at least I hope so.

Does anyone have any numbers for me out there? I'd really appreciate it.

thanks

hi!

If you are doing a 5 pound afghan, you will need:

3 pounds (6 skeins) of color A

2 pounds (4 skeins) of color B

add 2 skeins more of each color if you are making it larger (the 7 pound variety)

Of course, you should double check the lables of the skeins you have to make sure they are really 8 ouncers (1/2 pound)

I hope this helps.... Have fun!

Trust me - make it anyway. If you have reason for a heavy ghan - This one'll be a favorite.

I usually buy my pounders from Joanns.com when they're on sale for $5/pound with free shipping over $35. It's the best price I've found anywhere.

I think I've seen a pound for $4.50 once.

If you're going to use a P you'll have to figure out your own gauge to keep the blocks square.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Just wanted to say that I'm happy I came across this thread. I just started this ghan today for my husband. I'm making it Silver and Black because he's a big Raiders fan. I'm only on the second square of the first strip, but am already excited to see how it turns out.

I don't think I saw this color combo on the OP so I'll make sure to post back with pictures once I'm finished.

Thanks for the pattern!

Gretchen

Just wanted to say that I'm happy I came across this thread. I just started this ghan today for my husband. I'm making it Silver and Black because he's a big Raiders fan. I'm only on the second square of the first strip, but am already excited to see how it turns out.

I don't think I saw this color combo on the OP so I'll make sure to post back with pictures once I'm finished.

Thanks for the pattern!

Gretchen

Oh yeah!!!! I want to see that one when it's done.

We all love this pattern and it is so beautifully mindless. :ghug

And :welcome to the Ville :hug

That's going to look way cool!

Because this is such a warm ghan the CAL usually dies off in the summer.

Yah know... I have been wondering what colours I could pick if I were to do another one of these this fall. I think I may just go for another one starting in October.

...would make a great charity weekend project fer shure.

I need to make more of these, too.... great to bring to the football games!

I was also thinking of making a couple for raffle donations for my school... there's lots of "hockey moms" that would really enjoy this!

as soon as the weather cools off a bit, I'll be back on this thread fer shure:yes

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a newbie to these boards and stumbled upon this thread. I LOVE the look of these! I haven't read the whole shebang, but it I had a couple of quick questions:

How heavy are these when done? Nice heavy weight?

Has anyone here ever lined an afghan with fleece or minky? Think it would work?

Thanks!

Theresa

You definitely wouldn't need to line THIS 'ghan... Depending on how much yarn you use, it weighs between 5 & 7 pounds. Mine weighs about 5, and it's the warmest thing ever! We :manyheart:manyheartthis pattern here!

p.s. :welcome to Crochetville!

:lol sure, if you get hookin' now!

It does work up really quickly... any worsted weight acrylic yarn will be perfect... I like the Caron Pounders.

Did you check out the different colors in the first post?

Sounds wonderful and SO perfect for chilly Colorado nights!

What kind of yarn do ya'll prefer for this?

Think I could whip out, oh I don't know, say EIGHT of these by CHRISTMAS?!:think

Actually, yes I do.:yes

I use either red heart or caron pounders. It really does go fast.

I made on in 4 days :eek but I really worked hard on it. Time crunch thing.:hook

It'll be great to have you around.:D

Archived