Lumberjack Flannelghan CAL / finished ghans in Post 1

RoseRed

:cheer I'm done!! I'm all done!!! 9 months later....40+ school hours (on top of a 40 hour job) and I'm done!!! I turned in my last final today!! Now to send in the graduation application and I'm done!! Wooohooo!!!

I don't know that I'll go to work on my son's flannelghan right off, though. Since I'm trying it all in one piece, I'm afraid I'll overheat as the spring/summer (hopefully finally!!) progresses. But I had to come in and update y'all!!!

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:cheer

Great news!! Take a breather, relax a bit and then let's see that flannelghan come along!

I've got one strip of Mom's done, but I was distracted this week by something a little more portable for my last trip for a while...

Hopefully I'll get it done soon.

I've been following this thread and it has been going along quite strong. I'm giving serious thought to doing this for multiple reasons.

1) It's beautiful. :yay

2) I need a blanket for my bed.:crocheting

3) It's just about time to start RV'ing and this appears to be something I can while riding :drivealong and not have to pay close attention to instructions.

Question 1: I haven't measured my bed, but can someone tell me what size bed this will cover? I apologize if my questions have been covered already.

Question 2: I believe I read that the amount of yarn needed is 5-7 pounds total, is this correct?

Question 3: How do I determine how much of each color I need? i.e, MC = ?? lbs and CC = ?? lbs.

Question 4: What's the time frame does it take to complete this project?

the pattern as stated is 4 x 6 feet. That should cover the top of a regular bed.

You can add another 2 strips and 2 blocks to each strip and make it Jimbo sized which is 5x7 feet.

The red/black one I made for Amber used about 4 pounds of yarn. That was with Mainstays pounders (about as thick as Caron SS) I woulod suggest working with pounders (you can get a great price when they're on sale)

It's a warm and heavy blanket. Whichever color you use on the corners will use more yarn.

Ive made one in 4 days but I didn't get much else done. For a full size ghan it should take about half the time as it would if you were making it with a J hook. It goes fast, but how fast depends on your speed and amount of time you can give to it.

the pattern as stated is 4 x 6 feet. That should cover the top of a regular bed.

You can add another 2 strips and 2 blocks to each strip and make it Jimbo sized which is 5x7 feet.

>

>

>

>

Ive made one in 4 days but I didn't get much else done. For a full size ghan it should take about half the time as it would if you were making it with a J hook. It goes fast, but how fast depends on your speed and amount of time you can give to it.

Thank you, thank you. I was thinking of getting the pounders also. Warm and heavy, exactly what we need. I like to have a little weight to my cover. We have a beautiful comforter on our bed that I only want to use for decoration and the flannelghan will be underneath it.

I may be off to the store tonight to pick up yarn :). I'll plan on it taking a 2-3 weeks to complete, which would mean I can do several this year and give away.

I'll keep you posted.

OoooOOOo! Another one addicted!! (Of course, I haven't picked up the hook on mom's in about 2 weeks now.... but I've either been out of town or just too tired...)

Well, I've been looking for yarn and OH MY GOODNESS yarn has gotton really expensive, LOL. I went to Walmart the other day and the 1-pounder's were $5.88 each. They didn't have anouth of the color I wanted AND I decided to see if I could find some cheaper elsewhere.

I believe Joann's has a sale on 1-pounders for $5 per skein right now.

Doe's anyone know somewhere I can get yarn any cheaper (store or online)? Not that $35+ is really expensive when you consider what I'll gain from the yarn :hook.

Well, I've been looking for yarn and OH MY GOODNESS yarn has gotton really expensive, LOL. I went to Walmart the other day and the 1-pounder's were $5.88 each. They didn't have anouth of the color I wanted AND I decided to see if I could find some cheaper elsewhere.

Doe's anyone know somewhere I can get yarn any cheaper (store or online)? Not that $35+ is really expensive when you consider what I'll gain from the yarn :hook.

I usually wait for the $5/skein for Caron Pounders sale at Joann's, too.

I usually wait for the $5/skein for Caron Pounders sale at Joann's, too.

UPDATE: I just ordered some mill end yarn from Angelicrafts.com, which was referred on a Crochetville thread. I can't wait to receive it and start.

Cost: $3 for "around a pound" They say it's 15-18 oz. per bundle/skein

Shipping: $6.18 for a total of 8 bundles (4 each of Claret and Cafe) (roughly 8 lbs.)

Total: $30.18

UPDATE: I just ordered some mill end yarn from Angelicrafts.com, which was referred on a Crochetville thread. I can't wait to receive it and start.

Cost: $3 for "around a pound" They say it's 15-18 oz. per bundle/skein

Shipping: $6.18 for a total of 8 bundles (4 each of Claret and Cafe) (roughly 8 lbs.)

Total: $30.18

Thanks so much - I just ordered some Red Heart Super Saver Mill Ends.

THANKS! I am very excited about it. I am making some kind of blanket for all the kids this year for Christmas. I have been asking all of them what their favorite colors are. This one was pink and blue and when I found the rose color and the azure blue in the Caron they looked great side by side so I went with it! I am very happy with the way it came out!

I usually buy my Caron Pounders at AC Moore...I take the 40% off coupon and get one at a time! It comes out to be alittle less than $5.00 per skien. If I need more than one at a time and don't have time to buy them in advance, I print off several coupons from the website and send my kids through the line with a skien and a coupon! It works out well!!!

......I print off several coupons from the website and send my kids through the line with a skien and a coupon! It works out well!!!

:lol I'll have to remember this tip. I've been keeping myself busy working on a sweater while I wait for my yarn to come.

Very cool on the finished ghan! I'm almost through the second strip for mom's. Today was her birthday and my self-imposed goal. Obviously I blew it. As pretty as this one is, I just haven't been into it. Been too busy getting used to the (re)new job and trying to get baby stuff around the house done. I really do need to get it done before the baby's born, I know I'll have no time after.

Archived