Thanksgiving Turkey

nevadamama

love the hat!!

out of curiosity, do the colour tail feathers have a meaning? i've seen plenty of turkeys but the ones i have seen are all white lol (please excuse my aussie naivety!)

I have this pattern and it's been on my 'To Do' list for quite some time. Maybe I'll get it done before next Thanksgiving. Great job on it. It's really very cute. The pattern is in several of the books & magazines and I think there may be a pattern on the web. Maybe freepatterns or e-pattern.

So cute!

Shell- I don't know why, but for some reason whenever we depict turkeys in the states we give 'em colored tailfeathers like this. Real turkeys are such a brown and white speckly ball of feathers..maybe they decided to brighten them up for kids shows or something? If anyone knows why we do this, I'd love to know too!

So cute!

Shell- I don't know why, but for some reason whenever we depict turkeys in the states we give 'em colored tailfeathers like this. Real turkeys are such a brown and white speckly ball of feathers..maybe they decided to brighten them up for kids shows or something? If anyone knows why we do this, I'd love to know too!

Thanks for the response Pheonix. Turkeys in Australia are white. It only dawned on me when looking at these 2 items (there's another thread for a door hanger) that American turkey's are brown. So then I wondered why the coloured feathers I see so much in the American pics. Interesting :)

Thanks for the response Pheonix. Turkeys in Australia are white. It only dawned on me when looking at these 2 items (there's another thread for a door hanger) that American turkey's are brown. So then I wondered why the coloured feathers I see so much in the American pics. Interesting :)

Actually, the turkeys we eat are white and raised on a farm, the brown ones are the wild turkeys. We have to dress everything up to look pretty.

Beautiful job on the turkey. He is really cute.:hook

:tdance Maybe the feathers are colored because as small children most are/were taught to draw a turkey by tracing around their hands with the four fingers as the tail/feathers and the thumb as the head. Small children would color the fingers/tail feathers different colors because that's what children do. I know that's why I make the tail feathers different colors. :ttalk

:pilgrim Happy Thanksgiving Everyone! :pilgrim

Archived