ever feel like you made a difference, or a friend, through crochet?

i have a warm fuzzy story. i've been working at michael's for about a month and a half. i'm a cashier and i do the kids craft class and birthdays. on wednesday, i was the only one up front and i was answering the phone. this woman called and said, "i have an off the wall question, is there anyone in your store that knows how to crochet?" and of course i got all excited and said, "i do, actually." (keep in mind through this story, i'm multitasking - ringing people up and talking on the phone at the same time, and also i get excited when someone asks me a question about crochet LOL). so she starts explaining that she's trying to get back into crochet after maybe 20 years, and she just needs someone to show her the stitches and refresh her memory. my first response (the trained this-is-what-corporate-wants-response) was telling her about our classes, but then i mentioned that the class is $15 and if she just needs a refresher course, that seems kinda silly. then i said that if she wanted to come in i'd love to sit down with her and help her out. so i told her that i'd be there saturday morning to do kids club and since its usually just 2 or 3 kids and my "regulars" that i love, i'd have time to help her. she was so thrilled. after we hung up, of course, i realized that i probably shouldn't have done that. in fact, i asked my supervisor, and she said that we're not allowed to sit down with a customer and show them, that's what the classes and books are for. but michael's mentality seems to be that the classroom is separate from the store, so there's different rules for each. in the classroom, i have a little more freedom.

anyway, this morning, no kids showed up, i suppose since today was trick or treating. our older male crochet instructor came in though because he had to do a demo. the class coordinator (my boss) wasn't there either. so i'm cleaning up the classroom since there's nothing else to do and i hear, "lisa?" i turn around and it's the woman from the phone. she's smiling and she says, "it's cheryl!" weirdest thing, cheryl is my mom's name (whom i'm super close with) and this woman looks just like my aunt sandy, who i was also close with, before she died when i was 7. fate or what?

so she shows me the pattern she's attempting and we start talking about it and then earl (the male crochet instructor) comes in and i introduce them and explain to him what i did that i probably shouldn't have (that's another thing about this woman - i warned her that i wasn't sure if this was okay for me to do, and she offered right off the bat to pay for a class to make it okay - something my mom and aunt would both do). earl was on my side, because he has the "classroom" mentality. if a customer asks for help, help them. so he sat down with us for a little bit and helped too. the woman ended up buying some yarn and a new pattern (cuz the pattern she was attempting was a little too much for someone just getting back into the swing of things) AND she signed up for earl's crochet class. so my action was justified after all. i sat with her for about an hour, helping her through the first row of the afghan she was starting. i cant count how many times she said, "i really do appreciate you doing this." she even asked if i'd be at the crochet class, and i said i'd come because i'm eager to see how she makes out, and i also found out that earl and i have very different ways of crocheting lol.

it's moments like this that make me love my job. and it's moments like this that make me want to open up my own yarn shop when i'm done college, because i want to be able to help people and create bonds like that without wondering whether i was allowed to or not.

i just felt like sharing that because it made me happy. =)

That is such a wonderful story! I understand the store wanting to encourage people to take their classes, but oftentimes I think they'd be better served by helping somebody right then and there, just like you did. With a busy craft store the employees can't always take the time to teach a customer when they have other duties they have to complete, but when you have a slow time, why not?

As you see, you gained a loyal customer who bought stuff and signed up for a class. If you'd refused to help her at all unless she signed up for a class, you'd probably have lost a customer.

I wish you luck at opening a yarn store one day. My sister and I have a dream of opening a bead/yarn store. Beads on one side, yarn on the other, and in the middle a classroom space: one half full of tables on which to work and the other half full of comfy, cozy sofas and chairs. Oh, yeah, and a coffee/tea bar on the side, maybe with some snacks as well.

I just had an idea: if each of our over 8,200 members sent me just $10, I'd have enough to get started! Whaddaya think? :lol (I'm just teasing. Please don't try to send me money. :eek)

I just had an idea: if each of our over 8,200 members sent me just $10, I'd have enough to get started! Whaddaya think? :lol (I'm just teasing. Please don't try to send me money. :eek)

*puts $10 back into purse* But I want a cozy chair to crochet and sip hot chocolate as I look across the room and think "hmmm, I could use that yarn..."

Thank you for sharing that wonderful story! It is so nice to see strangers bonding over their common love of crocheting!

As for Amy.....you would have got my 10 bucks!:yes :yes :yes I am looking forward to coming down South one day and finding a great little yarn/bead/coffee shop! Let us know if you ever get it going! I have an idea:idea for you.....everyone who sends 10 dollars gets 10 dollars off their first purchase!:yarn :yarn :yarn

You did a wonderful thing!

I know someone who had the opposite experience at a LYS up this way. She went in there, wanting help with one lousy knitting stitch, but they told her she'd have to take a class. She ended up going to the local Senior Center and got the little old ladies to help her instead--and she never went to that LYS again.

So, by being kind and using common sense, you probably gave Michaels a loyal customer.

I personally think this is worth at least a bonus, if not a raise :lol

What a great story!

Amy - my friend Lynn is an amazing Beader (and I'm getting her hooked on crochet, too tee hee) and that's our dream! We want to open a bead and yarn craft store. We live about 3000 miles apart, but we're both open to moving and I really want to make it happen.

The Michael's near me is looking for a crochet instructor. I don't know if I'm qualified. I'm certainly good with the basics and I think I could teach a beginner class, but I've never taught. I think it would be fun though, and the idea of an employee discount is such a tease!!!

theworm - go for it!!!!! the store, AND the position at michael's!!!! teaching there is so fun - the knitting and crochet classes were already taken when i started working there so i only do kids crafts, but you really don't have to be absolutely expert to be a teacher. just bring in some stuff you've done to show them and you'll definitely get it!

and thank you guys, i appreciate the comments, and i'm glad i didn't do the corporate thing.

i'm thinking about making my store a fabric/yarn store. =)

Yeah, I know for sure I have.

I'm a Born-again and one night I felt a strong prompting to give a complete stranger an afghan I had just finished. For the next 2 years later I kept running into family members who thanked me again and again.

My favorite quote: I had lost a lot of weight and I was at a Walmart I never shop. One of the family members came up to me.

"I wasn't sure it was you until I looked in your cart and saw all the yarn." :lol

That's one of the reasons I love giving afghans away to people who aren't expecting them. I just love that look on their face when they ask "You made this FOR ME?" :clap

My very best friend is originally from New Orleans. He had moved away many years ago and now resides in Misery, where we met. His parents stayed in New Orleans their whole life, until Katrina. At ages 79 and 80, they had to move from the house they had lived in their entire marriage, nearly 60 years and they moved here to be near their only son.

I stop by to visit them whenever I get a chance as my friend travels a ridiculous amount of time for business.

I felt lead to crochet some angel ornaments for Mrs. S and give them to her for Christmas but then I found out her birthday was November 1st. I was just going to give them to my friend for him to deliver but that never worked out, so I called Mrs. S and delivered them myself on Halloween.

She was so grateful. Over and over again she has told me how her new home doesn't feel like home to her, she wasn't even going to bother with decorating for Christmas this year (last year they were still living with my friend and his family). She changed her mind when she opened her gift.

I told her that I know this situation isn't ideal (Mr. S has alzheimer's and at time Mrs. S feels very alone), but to make the most of it. I let her know that there are people here who love her, even outside of her son and his family. I also let her know in no uncertain terms that it was good for them to be near their son and his family, to give them some precious time together.

We had such a great visit and shared some tears.

It was a blessing for me when I had such a rough week, even though at the time it was only Tuesday. Focusing on others always make a big difference in my mindset, making me feel better.

Oh, I just got the warm fuzzies. Thanks for sharing all your stories. It makes me feel like we do make a difference in the world.

BTW, I would say that your customer is much more likely to return and to tell her friends. There's nothing quite like word of mouth advertising!

it is wonderful when someone can help another person without expecting something in return. I wish that everyone here would make it a prority in the next year to teach someone else to crochet. If we all did that think of how many more of us there would be. I am so blessed to have this gift and want to share it. Young people are realizing there is more to life than power and money and that is just fantastic.

• 2 weeks later...

well my action was DEFINITELY justified by now (i'm the one with the michael's story), the lady has brought not only her grandson but their neighbor's two kids almost every weekend since, and has attended a few more crochet classes. =)

i totally love my job at michael's, which is why i KNOW i will love having my own yarn shop someday. i officially changed my major so in a year i will have an associates in entrepreneurship and then south jersey will finally have a yarn shop!!!! (there's 2 like 40 minutes from here so this is the perfect location).

:2c Well, putting my money back in my piggy bank,Your idea sounds awesome Amy!

And I loved the story, I am soooo glad you took the time to help that woman. I think if your manager(s) would have given you grief over it...I would have had to send a letter :P .

The lady who mentioned giving the ornaments reminded me of something that happened to me last summer. I went down to spend a week at a hotel near the small town where we have our family reunion every year..

I always make a couple afghans to donate for reunion, either as gifts, raffle prizes, or for the auction they have to raise money for the next reunion .

Anyhow, I had 2 afghans to donate last year . I was sitting outside the room one day ,working on another one and the cleaning lady came up and asked if she could go in and clean the room ,which I said yes. Then she asked what I was making, so I took her into the room to show her the REST of the afghan I was making .( I had it laid out on the bed--it was done in big squares, so I had part of it put together and laying out )

She seemed real interested, so I took her to the car and showed her the 2 others I had done for the reunion. She just flipped over the one I had, which was made in hexagons ( the grandma's flower garden afghan ) . I had worked REALLY hard on that one .

She walked over to get her cleaning cart, and something told me to give this afghan to her. Why, I'm not sure, it was just like a signal to me that I should give it to her, so after she got done in our room, I handed the afghan to her. She got big tears in her eyes and hugged me and thanked me over and over. She told me she was going through a really tough time health-wise and that her Dr thought she had colon cancer. Her dad and brother both died from it and she was petrified, because she was scheduled to go for more testing the next week .

Anyhow, I have never done that before, just gone up and handed a total stranger an afghan, but I'll tell you what. There is no better feeling in the world.

I am so glad that I did it and hope that it helped her to get through her tests the next week and hope it brings some happiness to her in some way .

We will be going to the same hotel this coming June again. I sure hope to see her there again, and hope that she is ok and healthy again. I think of her a lot and wonder how she is, and am REALLY glad I was able to give her something that meant so much to her .

Try it sometime - you will be blessed beyond belief. :manyheart

that is a great story i love to make someones day through crochet and stuff it makes me feel liek i have done a little to make someone happier that is so nice for you to help her the mentality that michaels has sometimes turns me off some I think as long as you are helping an actual person who asks you a question then it is a good thing for the company makes thta person give michaels a great name

• 1 month later...

Your story brought tears to my eyes, JulieKay. I usually don't make things as big as afghans (prefer the quick stuff), but I may just have to make one to have on hand for such an occasion.

My sister and I have a dream of opening a bead/yarn store. Beads on one side, yarn on the other, and in the middle a classroom space: one half full of tables on which to work and the other half full of comfy, cozy sofas and chairs. Oh, yeah, and a coffee/tea bar on the side, maybe with some snacks as well.

Oh, this sounds heavenly! Well, I'm not into the beads, necessarily, but I love the idea of a cozy coffee shop with yarn, hooks and books!

What great stories. You never know how a simple act of kindness can change someone's day or life until you do it.

By the way I used to teach customer service and my number one rule is "treat every customer like your new best friend". When you helped Cheryl with her crocheting you did just that and we all know that best friends come back again and again. Your company may have a "corporate" method for handling things but remember the only rule of customer service and you will have people coming back all the time.

I worked at Lewiscraft for 8 years and have been away from there for about 4 and people still come to say hello to me when they see me out and about because I treated them well when they came with "silly" questions or needing help. No question is silly or stupid and we all need help sometime.

Carol

Oops, I forgot to tell you about my little story.

I went out to a friend's family for Thanksgiving a few years ago. Her neice saw me crocheting and wanted to learn how. We got a book on dishcloths, some cotton yarn and a hook. I gave her some lessons and she was doing pretty well when I left a few days later. About two months later I got a parcel in the mail with 2 dishcloths that she had made for me in it. I was thrilled that she kept up with the crocheting after I had gone home. She was 12 at the time and is still crocheting away.

Oh and all the kids there saw me making icicles for my Christmas shows that were coming up. The worst behaved child in the family came up and asked if he could have one. Of course I gave him one and then one to all the other kids as well. My friend said he hung it up in his room and it has been there ever since. You never can tell just what makes an impression on some kids.

Carol

• 2 weeks later...

Archived