ever feel like you made a difference, or a friend, through crochet?

I make a lot of things, but I have yet to really get involved with any charities (like Project Linus) however, 2 things popped into my mind where I know upon reflection that I helped someone through crochet...actually more than 2...the first one was an online friend was planning her wedding and wanted to crochet a shawl. It was a very simple v stitch pattern, but she had trouble with it...she lives in Canada and I'm over here in Europe. She asked me for help and I wrote out tips and tricks...and she wasn't getting it...I made a swatch, copied it, made notes, scanned it into the computer, posted to her journal and she still wasn't getting it. So then we made a chat date and for 3 hours we visited and I walked her through 4 or 5 rows stitch by stitch until she was off and running. The shawl got complete and she was able to wear it at her wedding reception. Then a guest ran off with it and she never saw it again. The pay off for me was that I hadn't picked up a crochet hook in like 4 years and after than I basically haven't put the hook down for the last 2-1/2 years and I've crocheted lord knows how many things since then and a chunk of them have gone to other people.

That's one...

The second was that I wanted to do something nice for my church and was told to talk to the deacon, who had just been newly ordained or was about to be ordained. My church is back in the states where our home is there. She suggested I participant in the prayer shawl ministry...and I did and probably should think about doing another shawl and send it to the church. Anyway, I crocheted her a shawl as an ordination gift and she loved it. Eventually, about 6 months later, I got a thank you note from the priest's wife (we're Episcopalians) explaining that the shawl was giving to a relative of hers who had been diagnosed with cancer...and that's the whole point of the prayer shawl ministry...when the relative feels the need, the shawl will move on to someone else apparently and that's wonderful...

And the third, I held a Crochet Bee at my stateside home when I was home over a year ago...my cousin's daughter was I think 15 and she really wanted to learn how to crochet but could not get pasted the chain stitch. Her mother and grandmother had tried to show her how and she just was not getting it. Until she came to my Crochet Bee. She has some learning disabilities and so ahead of time I found out what they were, read up on ways to enhance the teaching crochet experience for her and we sat down and I started the chain stitch and the next row and we got busy. She was a very quick study...and she hasn't put down her hooks since...in the last year or so, she's knocked out afghans, rugs, scarves and whatnot...and I'm beyond proud of her...

Those are the ones I personally know about...who knows for sure what all my little gifts of crochet have done for my friends and family. When they get a package from me and open it up and receive a doily or a puppet or a backpack or a kittyghan...I know that I brightened their day for a moment...past that I don't know what other positive things have happened as a result of a Random Act of Kindness...

Oh wait one more...my husband. Actually I don't know who benefits more, me or him. This is a man who I have made things for practically from the moment we met and I did it and still do it because I want to, because I love him. I have designed things from bath robes to bears to sweaters and beyond and he loves nearly everything I've made him and uses them or wears them or has them on display depending on what they are. I'm working on yet another sweater for him right now. He totally supports me in this regard. My ex supported me too, but half the time didn't like what I'd make him and would beg me not to make things for him. He loved my creativity but only if he wasn't expected to wear anything I made for him. My DH is the total opposite. He wears my sweaters with pride, even though I look at a couple of my sweaters I've designed and cringe and worry what other people might think...but he loves them, wears them and it would probably kill him to part with them 'cause he's that sentimental.

That's love to me...of course to him, it's love 'cause he's got a wifey that makes him things...but it's love to me that he wants to wear what I make him...I'm a lucky gal.

Archived