Coronation Medallion

Miss USA

I posted yesterday about a box of threads I had picked up at an estate sale that morning.

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=33365&highlight=estate+sale+find

That night, when I came home from work, I dug through them and one of the rolls of thread had a rattling paper folded in it, I fished it out and low and behold, a teensy pattern!!!

It was a coronation medallion dated 1952. Here it is made up in a deep blue thread...from.... you guessed it! The box of threads!!!! :yay

coroantiondoily1.jpg

coronationdoily.jpg

brightdoily.jpg

(with the flash)

it looks great, and my first thoughts would be Queen Elizabeth II of England. She was oronated in 1953 http://www.oremus.org/liturgy/coronation/

I subscribe to UK cross-stitch magazines and they just did a special a while back for the Queens Jubilee and those patterns dominated for some time. The Brits are very proud of our Queen :)

that reminds me of this pattern:

http://www.angelfire.com/folk/celtwich/Queenscrown.html

I love the crowns, such an imaginative motif.

OH MY GOD!!! It is the same!!! On the pattern it said how many to make a table cloth or doily, placemat, etc. It said the single one was coaster size. That is so funny! (I think I will sneak it into my best friends mothers house and let her discover it. She will love that!)

If anyone would like a peek at the Coronation, there is a super BBC "On This Day" page with video footage and some fascinating facts. . . like how there was a shortage of coachmen to drive VIPs to the Abbey, so some country squires volunteered their services and dressed up as Buckingham Palace servants for the day :lol

No doubt about it, we Brits are good at pomp and ceremony!

Smiles,

fabulous find....vintage hmm does copyright come into play ? bet you could share the pattern.....just a thought

This post has the link to the same pattern...and it's free...

Quote:

Originally Posted by monael

that reminds me of this pattern:

http://www.angelfire.com/folk/celtwich/Queenscrown.html

I love the crowns, such an imaginative motif.

OH MY GOD!!! It is the same!!! On the pattern it said how many to make a table cloth or doily, placemat, etc. It said the single one was coaster size. That is so funny! (I think I will sneak it into my best friends mothers house and let her discover it. She will love that!)

I was really happy to see the pattern because I was about to try and make it by sight alone...very nice and I'm so happy for you that you have the original pattern and the one square...what a find...I would frame it...

I think it would be interesting to mount and frame the medallion that you made and the original paper pattern. I find this sort of original find quite fascinating.

I think it would be interesting to mount and frame the medallion that you made and the original paper pattern. I find this sort of original find quite fascinating.

I do too...and you know I was fantasizing about this all last night...wondering about the person who crocheted that piece and what she was thinking when she was working on it. I thought about Queen Elizabeth and even Princess Masamo from Japan, and all the royal weddings I've seen on tv here...it is a very inspiring piece...thank you so much to the original poster for sharing this with us.

I notice that the person who made the doilies missed doing the little top like it is in the pattern. I can't see it well, but maybe it is like a 3 pt picot or something and they only made one going up. Since they did it twice, I have to wonder if there was some part missing in the pattern instructions that caused it to not come out like the picture.

PS - I agree with you, I'd snapped that right up, it all looks heavenly :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived