Caps To The Capital

moonspinners

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

posted the link as our suggested hat of the week at the Hat-a-week crochetalong. Thanks for posting this.. I wouldnt have known about it otherwise.

(grrr my apostrephe key isnt working.. sorry)

Thanks for posting this. My friend works for Save The Children, and this is the email she forwarded me. I'm going to be teaching a beginner crochet class for some of the people who work there so that they can also get started on the hats.

Here's the info on the Newborn hats program:

Save the Children has teamed up with the Warm Up America! Foundation to launch Knitters and Crocheters for Newborns: Caps to the Capital. The initiative aims to engage thousands of volunteer knitters and crocheters to help raise awareness about the need to do more to help babies in developing countries survive their first month of life.

The United States can lead the way in saving newborn lives by increasing funding for critical health measures for mothers and children. But we need your help.

We are asking volunteers to take three steps before January 2007. These steps include: knit or crochet a cap; write a personal note to President Bush; and unite for newborns. In January, Save the Children will take caps, along with the personal notes, to Washington, D.C., to show America's leaders that Americans want to do more to save newborn lives globally. Then, the caps will be delivered to babies who need them in developing countries where Save the Children works.

To get started, download a Caps to the Capital Action Kit, which includes step-by-step instructions, cap patterns, a sample note to the President and a flyer to post at your favorite yarn shop or community bulletin board. Go to: http://www.savethechildren.org/capstothecapitol/index.asp?stationpub=i_hpb3_camp002&ArticleID=&NewsID=.

You cap can help us save a life, your voice can help us save millions. We hope you will join us in this effort.

I want to help out. I can't download the kit right now because I'm in my grandparents house, but I'll download it on Tuesday when I get back! This seems like a very worthwhile cause.

~Kayla~

i received an email newsletter from bernat with all the information...i've already started a cap...and my mom's going to make some, too. :)

th_caps2cap.jpg

I've varied the edging on a very few.. got bored with the same ole, same ole... I hope they'll still be accepted. If not, oh well.

This is a good way to use up remnants. I somehow (:blush .. knows how.. eBay sucked me in) have accumulated lots of odd & ends of baby oriented yarn. One of my collapsible hampers is having a dent made in it from this project. YEAH!!!

I wasn't sure I was going to do this but I checked it out and have already made 3 hats! Not making much of a dent in my stash lol Doesn't take much yarn for these little bitty hats. Not much time either!

The go really quickly! Everybody can make a couple just sitting watching TV at night.

I made three over the weekend. I just got a whole lot of yarn from my great mema, and there is a lot of soft stuff to make caps out of.

~Kayla~

Lisa- thanks for posting the picture. I made 2 last night, one in sport weight, one in ww & they seemed so itty bitty, though my gauge was OK. After seeing your pix, guess they are the right size after all. Just been a loooong time since I've done baby things.

:)Alosha

Any of you out there that have made a hat and gotten the correct measurement, can you tell me how wide across the hat is (from the opening) and how tall? I've now made 2 using sport weight (not sport weight light) in the F and E hook and they still seem very big (I'm not one to crochet lose). I really want to make a lot of these but am getting discouraged already.

Thanks to anyone who can answer.

Julie

Any of you out there that have made a hat and gotten the correct measurement, can you tell me how wide across the hat is (from the opening) and how tall? I've now made 2 using sport weight (not sport weight light) in the F and E hook and they still seem very big (I'm not one to crochet lose). I really want to make a lot of these but am getting discouraged already.

Thanks to anyone who can answer.

Julie

Mine measures about 5 1/2" from one side to the other(diameter) when folded flat and about 4" from the bottom of the folded up brim to the top of the hat (though I think this measurement could be a little longer (another 1") on the sport weight ones).

Just a hint to anyone who doesn't have sport weight, you can combine 2 strands of baby weight (fingering weight) yarn to equal the same as sport weight or 4 strands to equal worsted weight (2 strands of sport weight). I've made 8 so far and prefer the crocheted ones over the knitted ones. It takes me about 3 hours to knit one versus about an hour to crochet one (I guess I am a faster crocheter than knitter, also no seaming on the crocheted ones).

I have the same measurements as you but my husband said the circumference is larger than 9 1/2". Wonder if they are going to measure each individual one that comes in?!? If it's not right, what will they do with it I wonder.

Thanks for replying so fast.

Julie

Archived