Caps To The Capital

moonspinners

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have the same measurements as you but my husband said the circumference is larger than 9 1/2". Wonder if they are going to measure each individual one that comes in?!? If it's not right, what will they do with it I wonder.

Thanks for replying so fast.

Julie

I doubt that they are going to measure each one... that would probably take up a lot of time. They'll probably just eyeball them to see if the size is about right. I've made a couple that are a little off and I think it would be a big waste if they don't do anything with the ones that don't measure just right. After all, you're definitely going to have some different sizes when so many people are crocheting these hats and different babies do have different sized heads...

I called the 800 number at Save the Children and was told that they prefer the "exact" measurements as on the pattern (from the kit) and if they aren't they will be donated (didn't say to who - I should have asked).

I will keep on trying!

Julie

Well as good as I thought the charity was, I am not going to waste the postage and my time making hats for a charity that is that picky. Babies have all sizes of heads and I would rather donate my hats to the local hospital where I know all of them will get used, rather than worry so much about gauge. I really like the end result of Caps to the Capital, and I get alot of pleasure from making them, but don't want to feel like I am wasting my time, making them for people that will be unappreciatable of the time and thought that I put into them.

I called the 800 number at Save the Children and was told that they prefer the "exact" measurements as on the pattern (from the kit) and if they aren't they will be donated (didn't say to who - I should have asked).

I will keep on trying!

Julie

What kit? Do you mean the pdf file? I'm not trying to be critical, just wondering if I missed something somehwere :think

Lisa,

Yes, I was talking about the PDF file - sorry. They called it an "Action Kit" on the website.

JLIe

Doh. I should've looked there b4 asking. Thanks

Okay. I'm so dang proud of myself I can't see straight. :lol

Tonight was a first for me in a few ways:

1) I actually completed a crochet project under an hour.

2) This darling tiny cap is my first piece of crocheted clothing.

3) This is the first time I have done anything in the round.

4) This is the first project I did not have to frog at any time, not even at the beginning where I usually do a lot of frogging.

To the best of my knowledge, the cap is at the correct measurement. I'm a loose crocheter. So I used an F hook and ww yarn. Cap measures just over 9" in circumference. According to the info regarding the Caps To The Capitol, caps must be between 9" and 9.5" in circumference.

For the record, I'm not a new crocheter. I've been crocheting off and on for 40 years (more off than on). My accomplishment tonight convinces me that this 'ole dog can learn new tricks. :D

Now, even though it's 1:15 a.m. I think I'll go crochet another one just because I'm too excited at the moment to go to bed.

Could someone give me an indication of roughly how much yarn I'll need for one cap? I'd like to try both a crocheted and a knitted cap, but am confused about the fact that the amounts are specified in ounces, as here in the UK yarn is always marked in grams. Also, I've seen someone here make a distinction between "sport" weight and "baby" weight, but on the conversion charts I've found online, these two are grouped together. Anyone know if 4ply yarn would be the closest equivalent? :think

Questions, questions ...

Thanks! :)

Could someone give me an indication of roughly how much yarn I'll need for one cap?

Well, the answer is "not a lot", as I've discovered by diving in and making one! I used a 6mm hook and some DK yarn, and though I've never made a hat before, it only took me about 80 mins. :)

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e382/Omphaloskepsis/crafts/1st_hat.jpg

The circumference of my cap is a little larger than specified, and yet it looks so small! Though I'm not from or in the States, I would like to contribute my cap to the Save The Children campaign, but I wonder - when they reach the President, who ensures that all the caps are then sent on to the babies that need them? :think

I posted early on in this thread that I called "Save the Children" regarding the circumference size on the patterns included in the "action kit" on the WarmUpAmerica website for the "Caps to the Capitol." I had called the Save the Children organization (the first time) and was told the hats needed to be "exact" measurement as what was on the patterns. I called again today after reading on one of the pages in the "action kit" that a 9-11" circumference is ideal. I called them again today and this lady told me that anywhere between the 9-11" is fine especially since all babies heads are different (and of course I thought the same thing). They apparently don't want any larger than that due to the babies in other countries being so small.

My apologies if what I posted originally turned anyone off from donating to this cause, I was just repeating what the first lady told me (who apparently didn't know anything).

Julie

Thanks for posting about this. After reading it, I immediately went to the website, downloaded the kit and started making hats! So far I have made 11. My goal is to make 100! :yay

I was a little discouraged when I read that the caps had to be the exact gauge, because hard as I tried I couldn't get 9 1/2". :no I used smaller hooks, different yarns, etc., but most of them came out to 10"...which had me perplexed because I usually crochet too tight for gauge and have to go up hook sizes - not down! So I was very glad to see that anywhere between 9" and 11" will work. :clap

I will try to post a picture tomorrow. Does anyone else have more pictures to post? I love seeing the different colors that people choose. :hook

I have started knitting a hat for this but it is only just over 7". I'm too far to frog it that would be to depressing. That's what I get for not checking my gauge. I think that I'll have to crochet one that is the right gauge after I finish this hat. And I'll give this one to my goddaughter for her dolls. Its nice seeing all the finished hats!

I have downloaded that action kit and I am willing to make some hats but... is it just me or does this seem really strange?

I have seen the picture of the child with the warm wooly hat in (what I assume is) the African hospital and I can't recall ever seeing African babies with a hat on at all. Further, I have never heard of anyone from Africa saying they want these hats - just the (N.A.) Statside people saying that Africa wants these.

(further aside... are Cdn's included in this effort?)

I am not trying to throw cold water but this just doesn't make sense - I could see sending them to Russia or the Ukraine etc where they have cold weather.

Does anyone have real information about how having a hot hat in a hot climate will save a life? A 1000 years ago, I worked on a paed's floor and it just strikes me as odd.

As I understand it, the caps are to go to babies in UNDEVELOPED countries, not just Africa.

All babies, when newborn, tend to lose heat through their heads.. yes, probably less of a problem in hotter areas. :)

I just read an email from one of the people who designed this pattern, and if they give me permission, I will post it here. It may clarify things even more.

Thanks so much for contributing!!!

HI! I'm new on this group. My name is Kathy, and I joined specifically because of the messages about this project. This is such a wonderful opportunity for all of us. This is the first project that I know of where an international relief agency has actually asked for real items as oppopsed to money only. This is a tremendous opportunity to make a difference in areas where only Save the Children have access and contact points. I can only hope that this will lead to future programs where we can work with them or other agencies to provide items for needly children and adults.

In answer to your question: A newborn's head has much thinner skin than what a child or adult has. A newborn will lose most of its heat from it's head. Therefore, in order for a newborn to retain it's natural body heat, a hat is required anytime the tempature is below 98.6. Look at newborns in this country. Most wear hats in the hospital, even though the tempature in the hospital is controlled from 70 to 75 degrees. From what I understand, tempatures in Africa can drop to 50 at night in some areas, which is cool.

I hope everyone who can will contribute to this drive - it is a wonderful opporunity to assist those in need and to work with an internation relief agency. I hope we can do more of this.

I'm having such fun making hats for this. Will post pictures soon

people saying that Africa wants these.

I am not trying to throw cold water but this just doesn't make sense - I could see sending them to Russia or the Ukraine etc where they have cold weather.

Does anyone have real information about how having a hot hat in a hot climate will save a life?

Jean Leinhauser, the owner of the Crochet Partners Mailing list, and one of the designers of the patterns used in the "caps to the capital" drive posted this today to the CP mailing list. She gave me permission to post her email here also. Hopefully this will clear up some questions.

Thanks Jean!!

Each year in underdeveloped countries hundreds of thousands of newborns

die in their first day of life because their mothers have nothing to keep their tiny heads warm. In cooperation with the Save the Children Foundation,

Warm Up America is sponsoring a drive to obtain a half million infant

hats, hand knitted or crocheted, by January 1, 2007. Hats are to be send to Washington DC, where the Save the Children Foundation will fly them to countries in need.

The mothers have had no prenatal care and the babies are low birth weight, so their heads are smaller than we are used to. If you have time and some scrap yarn, I hope you will help in this massive effort.

To get all the details, go to http://www.craftyarncouncil.com

and click on Caps to the Capitol.

There you will find patterns which Rita (Weiss) and I designed for caps in the

correct size, as well as information on where to send the finished product. Please use smooth yarns, not fuzzy or coarse ones, and don't add

any embellishment. You can use your own favorite pattern if you'd

rather, as long as it is small enough to fit a 9" or 10" diameter head size, is warm, and has no drawstring ties.

I know a lot of you are already working on this project, but we can use

all the help we can get to have a half million hats ready by January 1.

You can print out tags to attach on which you can write a note to the

mother receiving it -- she may not read English, but she will know you care.

Jean Leinhauser

CP List Owner

[/end quote]

Hi Ladies I crochet hats for the homeless in my area and have always wondered about the measurements too. I have been told to measure the circumference using a piece of yarn then measure the yar with a tape measure.Here is a website that really helped me out kyledane.com/raquel/crafts/patternbasichat.htm she gives lots of great tips and also has a hat pattern. Hope this helps out.

Brenda Jones

Hi, Brenna, welcome! :welcome

Thanks for the link, I liked the hat pattern and the measurement tips. My first hat (from the action kit pattern) turned out to be 8.5", which I guess is really too small (but might fit a preemie?). :think Oh well, bigger hooks the next time....

Archived