Caps To The Capital

moonspinners

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have already made four so far. My goal is to make a minimum of 100. I can whip out at least two hats while I am at karate with my children. Seeings how I have three WIP's I'm currently working on, this will be a challenge. Definately worth it for the cause though.

What a good idea. I made about a dozen hats last year to donate to a local charity, not that I can remember which one. (It was through my work at the time.) I saved that 'kit' and I'll see about doing some of those hats at some point too.

Now I need to get a to do list going! LOL!

Astrid, yeah, these adorable hats are tiny. My husband can't help but smile every time I show him one that I just made.

I believe color doesn't matter. I'm trying to use as many bright colors as I can...even bright varigated yarns.

I got two finished over the weekend - one crocheted and one knitted. I like the crochet one better, and it worked up a bit faster for me, so I think I am going to stick to that. And I agree - BOY are they tiny! I measured a bunch of times to make sure I was within the guidelines.

I suspect color doesn't matter as much as the need is so great where these items are going.

Pix on my blog if anyone wants to see them - http://WWW.AlpacaAddict.blogspot.com

Boy have I gone overboard with these caps. It started out innocently enough. After watching a lady at the local CGOA meeting whip up a couple, I downloaded the pattern and started using up some of my SS that was leftover from some baby blankets. The first one was cute....it was lilac. The second one didn't get the cuff because I ran out of lilac. The third one was yellow with a cute edging and no cuff....then it happened.........maybe the babies needed shade as well as warmth. I added a bill all around.....then I made it curl up.........then I got the '60s feeling back and made a floppy hat. This went on and on with every baby color I had and then some.

Now what can I do..........off to the yarn store. Colors! These babies need lots of color.......purple, bright yellow, bright gold, greens.....olive, emerald, dayglo.........pinks, reds, blues.....you name it I bought all the soft bright colors I could find.

I can't wait to make up this new batch. I can try stripes and maybe a spiral pattern. Is there a baseball cap for newborns? Freeform baby caps! Then there's always flowers and such to decorate them..........

Something tells me that alot of babies are going to be sporting some interesting caps this next year.

Pics will follow in the future.

Shebear that sounds fantastic! I can just imagine the rainbow overflowing in your living room.... I thought about adding little appliques to mine also, but later I saw something in the program's request about not doing so. Did anybody else get the same impression? :think

Patricia:

Well you got me to thinking.......so I called them and asked. They don't care if you want to be creative! GO for it!.

I did think about beads but that might be going too far but appliques and cross stitch and tassels and pom-poms are a go so now I really have ideas brewing.

Let's see.....I could add ear flaps and chin ties......and maybe ears and eyes. Hmmm! I've got to think awhile.

Maybe we should start a creative Caps to the Capital CAL and see what this wild group can come up with. After all the caps don't have to be there until early January.

• 5 weeks later...

I read about this project here and decided to participate in it. This summer Save the Children called me and asked if I would be willing to be interviewed for their website since the letter I included mentioned that my sons were born in a third world country. This is the link to that interview which I feel very honored to have done. I wanted to share it here since this is where it started for me! :)

http://www.savethechildren.org/capstothecapital/kristen-williams-knitter.asp

I just learned about this project and am joining in a bit late but I will make as many caps as I can!

:hook:hook:hook:hook:hook

I've read where a lot of you are having trouble with the size. Me too! I just almost finished my 1st cap using what I believe is 3 ply baby & fingering weight yarn (don't have the label to the yarn anymore). With the F hook, it turned out too big (11" circumference) so :2frog !

I also have some 3-ply baby wintuk which seems to be a little bit finer yarn. Maybe it will work better.

Is there such a size as an E hook? I don't have one so I know I never looked at a pattern that called for one. Think I'm gonna try a D hook with the fingering weight and sport yarn.

This is so sweet to make these little caps and to help save the lives of these newborns.

:heart HAPPY :heart SWEETEST :heart DAY :heart TO :heart EVERYONE! :heart

Yes, there are E hooks. I have two of them; one is bamboo and the other is aluminum.

Thank you, Gleda! I'll have to get one for my collection -- Crocheters' Motto: BE PREPARED!!!

I am going to start this weekend making hats. I clicked onto my state and it almost broke my heart that the hundreds of people in my state and we only had 20 turned in .....what in the world. I'm going to bring up our number if I have to do it myself!!!!! Just think... what if those were kids we knew. Or even our own.... I can't imagine. I just hope that if it was, I would have loving people as the ones on here that would be so eager to help out.

I say to the many that have done it or are still doing it. Thank you. And keep up the good work. Everything is a little more special when it comes from the heart.

this is one cause I can't pass up. thanks for sharing. I started on a little cap in yellow sportweight cotton. I'm crocheting it in back loop only (is there an abbreviation for that blo maybe?) and I think I'll add a ch cluster tassel to the top!

Archived