Therapuetic Crochet?

Guest xxJessBezzxx

Guest xxJessBezzxx

Hope this was alright to throw in this forum.

How many of you find your crocheting, or crafting for that matter, therapuetic?

I find mine is a great stress reliever.

Chris came home last night, and saw i had three "rows" done on the new diamond afghan stitch blanket i'm making, and asked me what was wrong. *chuckles*

He can tell, usually, how much i've crocheted as to what type of day i've had.

So, yes, yesterday was a stressful day in general.

Today, i'm thinking, i'll have many more rows done.

I found out that a friend of mine killed himself last night.

Still a bit in shock today.

Right now, i'm thinking a shower, and then curcling up on the couch to work on this afghan is a good idea.

Even, just yesterday, Chris made the comment of how soothing the colors are that a i picked. I'm using RH light blue, lavendar, and ocean.

When this afghan is done, it will be going into our (eventually) office/zen/meditation room.

I find my crocheting to be very therapuetic at times. It gives me something to focus my mind on.

And, today, i think that will be very helpful.

This brings up another question. Does anyone out there know if there are any certain projects made for therpeutic reasons, mourning, stress relief, etc?

Again, i hope i slapped this up in the right forum/thread.

Thanxs for listening to my long winded-ness!

I don't know of any specific projects that would relieve those kinds of things ... but I will say that crocheting is definitely therapeutic for me. I am more relaxed now than I have been for a long time and I think a lot of it is that I'm doing something I love and enjoy. The fact that I'm able to make things that bring other people joy helps, too.

And - it's just a calm, soothing thing to do. Unless, of course, you're learning a new thing that just won't go right and you've just frogged the same row for the fourth time. Gee, I've never done that, lol.

I'm sorry about the loss of your friend. I'm glad you're finding solace for yourself.

Guest xxJessBezzxx

*chuckles* That reminds me of when i was starting the shawl i just did. Here i am, working on this project that i'm thrilled about coming up wiht all on my own, when i'm done and wearing it, it should bring me a sense of peace and calm. No, i'm ripping rows out, cursing at the pattern, cursing at the yarn, cursing at the hook. Eventually my yarn, hook, pattern, and self all got synced up and we were working peacefully together.

It is nice knowing that the things we make can bring others peace and joy....

Firstly, I'm so sorry about your loss.

For, crocheting is therapuetic. I just really started going at it seriously after quitting smoking last year, and it kept me calm and focused when otherwise I probably would've been loony. Now, I sometimes get so relaxed while crocheting that I :zzz ...

As for a memorial project...

I've heard of quilters who make blankets from thier loved one's clothing. Perhaps you could frog one of his sweaters, or spiral cut a tee into a long strip, and crochet yourself something from that? The article I read on the quilters say it brings them a lot of closure and comfort to go thru this process and then have something to treasure that was something of theirs'.

So sorry about your friend:hug :cry

I do find it theraputic:cloud9 I learned to crochet after my mother passed away and I was in general having a rough time with alot of issues :( It seems to ground me and gives me something to focus on.Plus I love feeling like I've done something worthwhile w my time:))

Guest NCAugeriFan

:hug to you. I'm sorry to read about your friend. :hug

I find that working with yarn and a crochet hook and getting into the rhythm of crocheting is very relaxing and comforting.

~cadie

I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend :hug Suicide a terrible way to lose someone. (Not that there's ever a good way, but when someone resorts to suicide there's so much extra grief/guilt on the part of the person's loved ones...)

Besides crochet in general being a calming activity (I'm that way, too--if I'm anxious or stressed out or unhappy I find it very helpful), I wonder if a prayer shawl/comfort shawl might be something you'd be interested in doing--there's a bunch of info here: www.shawlministry.com/index.htm

Guest NCAugeriFan

Thanks for the web site for the prayer shawl ministry. That is something I want to look into. :))

Hats and now a prayer shawl....I'm getting too excited here! :cheer2

~cadie

Guest Yarnentangled

I crochet when I need to just unwind. Its my form of creative meditation. I also crochet as a tribute to my mom who passed away long before I was ever interested in the craft.

First, I do want to say I'm sorry for your loss. :hug I lost a loved one to suicide 10 years ago and I would have given anything for a comforting hobby like crochet. I had other hobbies at the time which helped. :)

I find crocheting tremendously theraputic. When things are particularly stressful or hectic, there's nothing like the calming effects of crocheting a few rows on a project. :fluffy

First, I would like to extend my sympathy on the sudden loss of your friend.

Second, I love to crochet to begin with, but I have also found it, at times, to be very theraputic. When my husband was terminally ill and hospitalized, I would bring my crochet into the room and it helped me during those long hours. Most of the time, he was either asleep or not really aware of what what happening, so I found it to be very calming.

I think whatever project you may work on that gives you a sense of calmness is the right one. But if there was a specific area that your friend enjoyed that you may able to help. For instance, if he loved animals, maybe dedicate a pet blanket to an animal shelter in honor of him. Just a thought.

LI Roe

hi :hug :hug first i want to say i am so sorry about your friend:cry :cry it is so sad and hard when someone feels like they have nothing to live for and then actually does kill themselves, i also have lost a very good friend to suicide. so my heart goes out to you. you take care and also i hope you find solace in knowing that you cared, and also to not wonder, i am sure he had his reasons as we all do but will never know and it isn't a good thing to beat oneself up over it. so hugggggggggs to you:hug :hug :hug :hug :hug :hug :hug ,

to answer your question, yes i find it very theraputic, i spent 18 hours this last week sitting in a hospital waiting to find out if my mil was going to lose her leg(she didn't and for everyone who prayed for her thank you so much) and while i was there i made about 4 doilys. so it helped calm me down and hoped that she would be alright. well anyways i hope YOU are alright. take care sweetie. we are here for you:hug :hug vicki:hug

How sad about your friend :cry It's so hard when they are hurting and you can't fix it.. but you can't blame yourself either.. :ohdear

I hadn't thought about the theraupetic qualities of crochet until I saw this thread, but I would tend to agree with that. I don't know if it's the rhythm, or if it's making something solid and tangible and beautiful in the midst of chaos in your life. It seems like everytime I've gotten heavily into it I've either been having family problems, been under alot of stress or have had something major going on in my life... right now it's the husband trying to find a job, and dealing with his depression and moods when just nothing is out there at the moment.. and that I can't keep my house cleaned with work and everything else going on.. :rolleyes

So yea, I would agree with the therapeutic qualitis of crochet, in part because it keeps your hands and mind busy.. but also because I think it allows you to control and make something beautiful and steady out of the chaos going on around you.

Just my 2c worth :heart

I'm sorry about your friend's death. Our fourth child is named (besides liking the name) after two friends we had named Stephen, one died of cancer and the other committed suicide, as well as for St Stephen. I miss my friend Stephen who ended his life after a long battle with an incurable illness.

I find crocheting something nice to do to unwind. But I don't like to crochet while angry or very upset, it's a bit strange but I don't want there to be such negative emotion on my project or for me to associate - I did those rows while really steamed about ---.

I do crochet to relax generally, or to do something while worried or waiting though.

And colors, they are important too.

• 2 months later...

I'm sorry about your friend. :hug

I agree crocheting is theraputic. I find it makes me focus on my stitches and not on whatever is stressing me at the moment. Add then of couse that little high you get when a project is completed lifts my spirits a bit which doesn't hurt.

One of my MOMS friends recently suffered a miscarriage and she is making a memorial quilt for her baby. She's actually making two (lapghan sizes), one to donate to a Blanket Brigade and one to keep for her family. I think this is something the members in her quilt guild do if they suffer a loss. I like the idea. I think it gives you time to reflect on the persons memory and work out your grief. In the end you have a reminder of your loved one.

Archived