Faithful CPC testers...help!

RachelG

I just received the following email into CPC:

----

A great site ruined by hideous pop-up ads!!

Every single pattern clicked on brings up a minimum of three individual pop-ups!

----

This certainly isn't the case for me...could a few of you please verify that it isn't that bad? Thanks! (And be truthful, I want to know if something started going terribly awry.)

I did not have any pop-ups come up, and I tried several patterns. I do have a pop-up ad blocker on my computer, but I didn't get any messages that it was blocking ads when I was at CPC.

Hope that helps.

I just clicked 25 patterns and had 3 pop-ups that were blocked and 1 that got through. Definitely not a big deal. That person probably has some adware or virus thing and doesn't know it.

Some of the patterns that are hosted on tripod or angelfire do have popups, but most don't. Sometimes when I'm looking for a pattern, I open up half the patterns in a category (in tabs, yay firefox ;)) and I have to close like four popups.

I realize that the popups aren't coming from CPC, it's because of the sites that the patterns are on. It doesn't bug me in the slightest.

All pop-ups that might come are handled with my popup-blocker. I use Safari Apple Macintosh) - no big deal. Your site is very user-friendly and really great.

I'm on CPC at least once a week and I have no problems. As others have said, some of the sites linked to have pop ups, but my blocker takes care of all but a few. I have no issues with this site at all. In fact I :manyheart it!!

Rachel funny you should mention it but I have only had this problem in the last few weeks. It is mainly some of the new pattern links. A couple are also very slow to download. There were a particular couple that were quite poppy up last night that I just closed the site down.

The cheeseburger and the castle were 2 I recall having this problem with.

The problem is at their end, not yours tho.

I must say Rachel, I amazed at how you are always managing to find new things! It was your site that lead me to crochetville through a pattern link for a spiral scarf! :manyheart

Thank you for your feedback...I appreciate it!

I can't just stop linking to a few places that have popups...perhaps I should start promoting popup blockers? I run the blocker on Mozilla Firefox and have little to no trouble at al.

Thanks again!

It is not your site that's causing the problem with popup ads. I check your site every day to see what you have new. A few links have popups but that is the website's fault, not your fault. Yesterday the cheeseburger link got a strange loopy popup that kept saying to click link to continue and the pattern would show for a second and the popup would come back again. I ended up having to reboot to get it stopped. I showed it to my computer tech DH and he said there was something wrong with the cheeseburger website. So the person who wrote you blaming CPC was incorrect. I just tried the cheeseburger link today and it worked. It had several popup ads but not the strange one that couldn't be closed.

Don't worry....your site is still the best on the web for pattern sites.

Debi

Ditto to what's been said above.

I did notice, however, that there is one site that you have a lot of different links to (one of those sites where the person has a bunch of different patterns up, but yours are more organized, so you can get through to it from a bunch of different categories) that's absolutely HORRIBLE for pop-up ads. I'm actually wondering if this particular person's site has been hacked, because there have been pop-ups that are automatic downloads!!

But again, that's the site that's been LINKED to, and not YOUR site that's at fault.

Only thing I can figure is maybe the person who sent you the email isn't computer savvy enough to realize that your site simply LINKS you TO the site where the ACTUAL pattern is posted??? :think

Not to put anybody down or anything, but yes, you're right, you'd be surprised how many people don't realize they're just links to other people's patterns. C'mon, ladies (and gentlemen), you KNOW I don't have time to design 9,000 + patterns and tutorials!!!!!!!! :eek;):P

I have noticed a few sites have a popup problem. I just don't want to get rid of the links, because they ARE free patterns with pics.

I go CPC for the grany square patterns and tend to get pop ups all the time. It can get annoying. And if the day has been bad I just give it up:angry

BTW I do have my pop up blocker on

I love CPC! I don't have any problems with popups at CPC. There are one or two pattern sites that do have popup ads (Fortune City is abundant in them) but it is not your fault that someone ELSE's site give pop ups ads.

You can't control someone elses popups anymore than you can control the content of the connecting site. If there are mistakes in their patterns, are they going to blame you? That's silly. And it's silly to think you can stop popups at other sites on the web.

If I got upset at a particular sites popups, I would email the site that they came from, not where I found the link.

Perhaps they think that you have adware to support CPC? I wouldn't worry about it unless you receive a number of complaints, then maybe put on the front page that the "CPC website is adware free. However, CPC is not responsible for the content on linked websites".

By the way, thank you Rachel for a wonderful site & all the work you do to connect us to the free patterns!

I go to the site all the time and never have problems with pop ups :D I have a pop up blocker also but even when I wasn't using one, I didn't have problems.

I LOVE your CPC site, Rachel!!! It was because of it that I found Crochetville, and because of it that I got brave enough to try all different kinds of patterns! Thank you for all your hard work on that site! :hug

Archived