Scrap-ghan CAL

KnicKnac

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have been so busy,I am just beginning my first Hexagon motif---I just did one.It is easy,but different then the granny squares I have been doing.So I am off to a slow start.I guess picking the pattern may be the hardest part.I have decided that this is for fun and I am not going to stress myself out to do it on "deadline"(a habit from my job)It is time a make something for me.Everyone's aphagans,squares,motif's look great and have me inspired to begin this scrap-gan. Leslie

----------

Hi Leslie, the great thing about doing a scrap ghan is that we'll always have stash that needs to made into a scrap ghan! :lol Besides, crochet is what we do to take away stress, not add more to our lives!

I've got to complete some of my UFO's first, but I have wanted to do a hexagonal motif scrap ghan with some of my stash.

I went shopping yesterday determined to find the closest JoAnn's and found it only to be disappointed in it. Now I'm not sure if they are in the middle of a remodel or something similar but it was not what I was expecting.

When I go into a craft store here lately I check out the yarn to see if they've got anything good on special and at the books. I've been looking for the 63 More Square book since I picked up the 63 Square afghan book and got hooked into C'ville. I could hardly find anything in this store at all.

Up the road from there is a brand new AC Moore that I had never been into either so I decided to visit there and hit the jackpot. Not only did I find the 63 More book but got some veragated blue yarn that was on sale.

I've been rethinking some of the squares that I wanted to use for my scrap ghan, this is where I've started to loose my mind! I've tossed out the square with the flower and have opted for an afghan square instead. As well as adding in a few granny's that have different colors in them, also found a really nice square in the 63 More book that I'm going to use. (#35)

square 35.jpg

scrap-ghan.jpg

If anyone has seen what's left of my mind, please send it back!

......How cool is that Russian join?!?!:D I always hated the joining new yarn thing. Too much bulk...too many ends...try to hide the join. I was always so trying to make it perfect. This going to make me love to change yarns!:) Maggie

Ummm.....sounds like something I'd like to know about, too! Where can I learn about it? Thank you!

Edited: did what I should have done in the first place before posting; did a search on Russian Join. Found a lot, but this post has two good links (that still work, too!): http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showpost.php?p=87117&postcount=37

Pat, go to google and type in russianjoin. It is the second one. The first one is kind of the same. It is really a great way of joining yarn. It doesn't leave much of a bump in the work.

For all the "yo-yoers" out there, I'm curious as to how everyone is going to join their yo-yos?

I tried the 'flat braid' method and I like that one, just wondering what everyone else is going to do? :hook

I believe I am going to use the flat braid method myself. If you look in my siggy that is how well I am doing!!! :lol

Look at it this way, you are almost in the double digits for number of yo yos done!

I've got 7 twelve inch squares done. The only problem is that they are not all coming out to be twelve inches.:think But in the words of Scarlett O'Hara "I'm not going to think about that today. After all, tomorrow is another day."

Look at it this way, you are almost in the double digits for number of yo yos done!

I've got 7 twelve inch squares done. The only problem is that they are not all coming out to be twelve inches.:think But in the words of Scarlett O'Hara "I'm not going to think about that today. After all, tomorrow is another day."

LOL, good for you Karen on what you've done and I agree with Scarlett! I'm on square #14 of 8 inch squares.

Don't worry if they aren't coming out exactly at 12 inches, just get close to it. When you put your afghan together alot of times the squares come out much better than what you see.

For all the "yo-yoers" out there, I'm curious as to how everyone is going to join their yo-yos?

I tried the 'flat braid' method and I like that one, just wondering what everyone else is going to do? :hook

Oh goodness! I hadn't even thought that far ahead... now I'm going to ahve to figure out what a flat braid is!

:(

Good Morning Ladies!

I now have 17 squares done for my scrap-ghan and am working on my layout. I have used up nearly every bit of the scrap yarn that I have.

I've found that the bit of light blue that I've been using really should have been tossed out because it's frayed and has loads of knots in it, I've used what I could. (Must have had this one since the '70s)

For my layout I've been using MS Excel, using it like graph paper and importing the pictures and putting them where I think they look good. (Excel lets me move the pictures around, don't have to keep coping and pasting.) So far the afghan is going to be 49 squares and most of the pretty's that I've posted are going to be used in a criss cross pattern. So far, so good!

Just for you KnicKnac, didn't know how well it would look on here!

I'm a bit surprised that the background turned out the way it did.

If anyone's got a few suggestions for additional squares, I'm all ears!

Image4.JPG

Ilene, I've been lurking on this CAL, following along for when I get current WIPs/UFOs done and can join. Thank you very much for the Excel idea! It will be very useful to me when working on the quiltghan patterns I have in mind.

.....If anyone's got a few suggestions for additional squares, I'm all ears!...
If you are still looking for suggestions, I was thinking of some of the neat quilt squares I've seen. The simplest example would be a square divided in half along the diagonal in two colors. Since you've got a cool "X" pattern going with your current design, some of these might fit in. Or a star pattern. Neat ideas at this quilting site, and this site has many quilt block patterns to be printed out (.gif files) and colored. You could print out designs you liked, color them in, take a pic, and use in your Excel spreadsheet to try out some placement ideas? If you like a block, it shouldn't be too hard to create a granny-style crocheted version of it.....

Can't wait to see what you'll come up with next! Have fun :D

Ladies, I think I'm on the down hill side of my afghan! Yes, the layout I created made it much easier to see what I'm doing and help me think.

My center 9 squares are complete, the remaining 4 are red and white granny's. The row around them are going to be dark blue, light blue and off white afghan squares. I did try last night to make and afghan square like pplcrochets suggested (2 colors on the diagonal) and I just couldn't make it work. I may try it again later because I really liked the idea of it. The outside row will be done in the neat circle square from the 63 more book.

Ilene, that was such a good idea you had about Excel! I would have never thought of that...I would probably have just drawn out a graph on a piece of paper, but your way you can actually visualize where it will go and how it will look, fantastic!

minwife, the 'flat braid' looks more confusing than it actually is, it's on the site with the yo-yo instructions along with a different joining technique called the 'net stitch' joining--I chose flat braid because I thought it looked neater, less lacy-looking, and I also thought it seemed a bit easier.

I'm still plugging along on my joining...I almost have 4 rows joined...really I have no idea how many rows I'll need for the length, but I've made mine 20 joined yo-yos wide on the widest row--since the next and alternate row(s) you use one less yo-yo. I measured and in my guage/tension this fits a double bed. Those yo-yos would make a neat pillow cover, too! :D If I have any extra after the afghan I may try it!

I've finally finished the layout and have started to put the afghan together. I've still got about 25 squares to do but this is pretty much how it's going to look.

layout.jpg

Archived