Scrap-ghan CAL

KnicKnac

Lynn,

Those are beautiful ghans! I think I'll join this CAL. I was thinking about doing something with the yarn I have left over from recent projects and just keep it going until I have enough done to put together. I really like the fans and would love to see the butterfly one.

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Denny - would love to have you join up with us. The thing about scrap anything is that we will ALWAYS have leftover yarn, especially if we keep on crocheting!

ChainOFools - I know what you mean about the yo yo one, the squares themselves look easy but the joining looks hard. But crochetdude has an easy way to join them that I might use instead. I don't know, I still haven't decided! But welcome to the CAL!!!

Ilene - you are working on one gorgeous afghan with that RH Monet - no rush to choose a pattern for the scrap-ghan, whenever your ready. Hey guess what? I think I may have leftover Money yarn to maybe start with!!!

Lynn - just a question, with all your scraps, is it just leftover yarn you have used from projects, or do you purchase scraps somewhere.

Ok peeps, this is what scares me about choosing a pattern, any pattern for this. I have horrible color matching sense. I just wrote in another post that I don't know how I ended up a woman because I have absolutely no fashion smarts at all. If I start making squares, how will I know what goes with what, what colors don't belong so close together. If I just choose to do something like a MAM afghan, what if I follow one color with a color that doesn't match???

Those afghans Lynn posted, especially the fan one, which I LOVE btw - seems to have a definite pattern to the color selection.

Oh my, what should I do??? Do you think it matters that much???

OK...I'm in....I love the yo-yo afghan and think that would be perfect... I am cheap enough taht I save in the smallest amounts of yarn LOL.... so tell me... are those yo-yo's simply a gazillion double crochets in a circle?...I know it sounds like a silly question....

Lea

Here is the pattern for the yo yo's!

Nice to have you on board Lea!!! Remember there are no silly questions in regards to crochet, there are MANY silly questions when it comes to kids! :lol

Thanks all!

KIKI - The first afghan picture came from Leisure Arts A Year of Afghan's Book 5. Its called Brilliant Contrast and its on page #92. Really easy and fun to make. I think I've made 3 or 4 of these!

KNICKNAC - I just use the leftover yarn I have. I've never purchased any leftovers. It seems that everything I make takes an odd number of ounces so I usually have at least 1/2 skein left over of each color!:lol

As for color selection - just go with your heart. I just pick colors that will compliment each other and try to use some pastels along with brights. I'll post a picture later on today of the scrap afghan I'm working on now. If you think the colors look good together then they will! That's how I picked the colors for the fan afghan. I just pulled whatever colors tickeled my fancy at the time for each fan!:D

Lynn

I will probably be asking the fine folks here at the 'Ville for help in master color coordination!

I can't wait to see your current afghan.

Another question, since you seem to be the queen here on scrap afghan making :) ... do you try to stick with one type of yarn for a scrap afghan? I have some leftover Caron Simply Soft and some RH SS and also some Bernat Softee - would that be stupid to try to fit that all in one scrap afghan?

You could probably work all in depending on the pattern of the scrap afghan. I have used RH mixed with Caron SS in almost all scrap afghans I have made and they have worked perfectly together. I don't think those yarns mixed will give you a problem. I wouldn't mix chunky yarns with other yarns but even then depending on the pattern --- it just may work!:)

Lynn

Knicknac, the trim for my Monet is actually RH Frosty Green. Yellow would have gone really well too but I had the green left over from my 63 Square afghan.

I'm alot like you with not being able to match up colors well but with that I went with my gut.

(KnicKnac quote) Yellow? Really? I am so HORRIBLE with matching colors it's not even funny, I don't know how I ended up a woman

Just took a few pictures of the scrap afghan I am working on. Its called CHAPEAU's and is from the Big Book of Scrap Crochet by House of White Birches.

th_ChapeauAfghanSquares_1.jpg

th_ChapeauAfghanSquares_2.jpg

th_ChapeauAfghanSqCloseUp.jpg

Lynn

Here is the pattern for the yo yo's!

Nice to have you on board Lea!!! Remember there are no silly questions in regards to crochet, there are MANY silly questions when it comes to kids! :lol

Thanks! Seems easy enough! 618 yo-yo's to go LOL

CanI join? I am finishing up my first aphgan-a giant granny square made with with bliss and red heart babyclouds(2 strands-one of each).This for my 9 year niece.It is really heavy-it will be too warm to sleep under this summer-she wanted me to use"soft "yarn.It is in her favorite colors including pink,purple,and turquoise.I am doing the giant granny because I wanted something I could do quickly.The aphgan for this cal(my first!)will be for a wedding present.I loveto crochet!This sounds like fun.

Any ideas for a easy one that would look good for a wedding gift.?

Leslie

Your welcome Lea!

Of course you can join Leslie! Nice to have you on board! Gosh, maybe Lynn might be the one to answer that one, she seems to know alot about Scrap-ghans. Altho did you see both her fan type? They are beautiful and would make perfect wedding presents in my opinion!

Hi,

I'd like to join too! I have a scrap afghan almost finished - just have a couple more squares then on to putting it together. Its little hats of different colors trimmed in black.

A few books you guys may be interested in:

House of White Birches - SCRAP YARN AFGHANS - leaflet #10113

6 patterns --- Moonflowers, Wildflowers & Lace, Tumbling Blocks, Beach Balls, Floral Quilt & Butterflies.

I made the floral quile - its beautiful! Also made the butterflies

House of White Birches - BIG BOOK OF SCRAP CROCHET AFGHANS (Hard cover book) Has 70 beautiful and really different scrap patterns

Here are a few pictures of several scrap yarn afghans I have made

th_FlowerScrapAfghan.jpg

th_FanAfghan.jpg

Lynn

Those are so pretty! I love the fans!

Oh, definately the fan afghan would be perfect for a wedding present! You could do the fan inserts in solid colors if you wished to or all fans the same in the colors of their bedroom. I also thought the fans would be very striking in white fan inserts with black trim, but don't know if you would want to do that for a wedding present or not. Would depend on their colors in their home.

Thanks KnicKnac! No, the fans are not stuffed - they form that shape with the first few rounds of the hat. In fact before the lacy edge is put on they look like tiny beehives!:lol

Lynn

Well I'm in. I started a Round Baby Ripple to use up all my baby yarn. Lynn, I love the afghan with the hats. I have the pattern and always liked it. Was it very hard to make? I really would like to try it. It would be a good project for summer.

Well, I managed to figure out the "flat braid" joining method for the yo-yo afghan, it really wasn't that difficult once I tried it, so I'm starting that pattern :D I can't wait to see how it turns out :lol I posted a picture on my blog of the beginnings: http://byhookorbycrook.blogspot.com/2006/05/yo-yo-mahhhhh.html Lynn, thanks for letting me know the name of that book. Your afghans are fabulous!!

I have yarns of various weights and tried a few yo-yos out of chunky weight and they came out the same size as the worsted, so I think if you are making small motifs you should be able to use different weights with no problems, just keep comparing them to make sure. I've even used fingering weight (two strands held together) with worsted on other scrapghans and it's come out great! The sky is the limit with scrap afghans, and I'm excited to see everyone's progess and finished products!

Oh Kiki - that is a fabulous idea about putting two strands of fingering weight together. After seeing your blog now inspires me to actually go ahead and do the YoYo afghan! I am sold!

WOO HOO - I got my pattern!!!

Thankyou for the suggestion of using the fan pattern for a wedding present.I will have to look at the pattern first and see if I can do it!(Being a beginner crocheter that is...)I will let you know.

"Some say the world is hanging on by a thread.I say a thread is all I need."

I have to hurry and finish the aphgan (a throw )I am making so I can give to my neice tomorrow night!Never will I promise to make something on a deadline again! Leslie

Thanks All!:)

The hat afghan was easy and really fun to make. After you do the first little hat you just sit back and look at it and say "boy that was easier that I thought it would have been!"

Leslie - I did that afghan a long time ago and as I remember it was not hard at all. Don't let the pattern intimidate you when you read it. its much clearer as you go along

Lynn

Archived