Scrap-ghan CAL

KnicKnac

Ok peeps, this is what scares me about choosing a pattern, any pattern for this. I have horrible color matching sense. I just wrote in another post that I don't know how I ended up a woman because I have absolutely no fashion smarts at all. If I start making squares, how will I know what goes with what, what colors don't belong so close together. If I just choose to do something like a MAM afghan, what if I follow one color with a color that doesn't match???

Those afghans Lynn posted, especially the fan one, which I LOVE btw - seems to have a definite pattern to the color selection.

Oh my, what should I do??? Do you think it matters that much???

---------------

I would just go with what you think looks good together. Also, I think that if you use the same motif throughout done in all kinds of different colors, then the sameness of the motif will hold the look together.

I've been thinking of doing a scrap ghan with hexagonal motifs in all different colors. But I have so many WIPs right now, that I really need to get some progress on those before I start something else! :eek

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Renee, this is the most casual CAL there is, no rush. Come on in and give us a RAH RAH RAH when you can. Start whenever you want to.

And thanks for the thoughts on the color matching.

Ok peeps, this is what scares me about choosing a pattern, any pattern for this. I have horrible color matching sense. I just wrote in another post that I don't know how I ended up a woman because I have absolutely no fashion smarts at all. If I start making squares, how will I know what goes with what, what colors don't belong so close together. If I just choose to do something like a MAM afghan, what if I follow one color with a color that doesn't match???

Those afghans Lynn posted, especially the fan one, which I LOVE btw - seems to have a definite pattern to the color selection.

Oh my, what should I do??? Do you think it matters that much???

I started quilting recently and the first thing i'm supposed to make includes putting together a bunch of squares. The teacher suggested that after we finish all the squares, to lay them out on the ground and then decide which should go next to each other.

Personally, I like repetition and grouping. Take the fan scrapghan for example. I would use X colors to make one fan, where X is a positive integer. I would then make as many more fans as I could with those same X colors. You can then group these fans together in one corner or spread them in some type of a pattern throughout.

Another thing you could do is group colors. So one fan could be all shades of blue and another fan all shades of red/pink etc.

If you REALLY don't trust your judgement, I would suggest looking through crochet books and seeing which color patterns you like, try to figure out what you like about it (rainbow pattern, light to dark, all pastels etc) and use that for your color scheme.

I'm sure you'll do a great job!

i've been looking at this post for a few days now, but i've been too shy to come out and say CAN I JOIN??

i know the pattern i wanna use, its from a book tho... :think called the ultimate book of scrap afghans... i actually already started :blush

so what ya think?

lilmari - so glad to have you join us!!! There is only one requirement - HAVE FUN!!! Oh yeah, and you gotta get some pictures up as soon as you can, especially since you started already!!!

Jimmie Lu - I think what you got going will be great! Thanks for the link!!!

lilmari - so glad to have you join us!!! There is only one requirement - HAVE FUN!!! Oh yeah, and you gotta get some pictures up as soon as you can, especially since you started already!!!

Jimmie Lu - I think what you got going will be great! Thanks for the link!!!

cool! my afghan pattern is for squares, so once i get enough to start sewing together i'll post a picture :jumpyay

I posted this a few days ago in the Lace and Bobbles thread, but since this is technically a scrap afghan, why not also post it here! I have the Afghans for all Seasons, book 1, where this is called Sampler Afghan, but in a different LA book (not sure which one) it's called Lace and Bobbles. The pattern has about 85 or so rows, and I made this through about row 70. I stopped when it got to 50x50, since I wanted it to be toddler sized. I used a bunch of really colorful yarn to make this. The colors are a little washed out (for example, the center is a pretty peach color), but you get the idea of what you can do with scraps!

th_BL2.jpg

th_BL1.jpg

Renee --- Love your colorful Lace & Bobbles! Bet the toddler that received that just loves it!

Lynn

Renee --- Love your colorful Lace & Bobbles! Bet the toddler that received that just loves it!

Lynn

-------------

I don't think it's been given away yet, I'll have to check. I donated it to Project Linus. But it sure is bright, and I loved it!

LOL, I was reading back over the posts for The Crochet Dude and had to step back a few paces. Yes a yellow! There is just a bit of pale yellow all through the veragation in the Monet yarn and to put a pale yellow blouse or Tee under it would really bring out that color in what you've made.

(KnicKnac quote) Yellow? Really? I am so HORRIBLE with matching colors it's not even funny, I don't know how I ended up a woman

ok ladies I am biting!! I have quite a few yarns waiting and I had been wanting to do the yo yo afghan for a long time now. but I am cheating here:) My daughter wants to help me in some project that i am doing so i asked her if she can crochet some yo-yo's for me and I would join them. She is only 9 so i don't know how long she will stay intrested in this :) Will keep you all posted:)

hugs

Vims

I had a look at them yo yos. :think How many hundreds of them little fellows do you reckon you would need to make an afghan? While I think the look is good, I feel I may go nutty joining them all together. When I finish my 200 block CAL, and my Gaugan :D I might join you.

I am a bit intimidated by Ilenes Monet as it looks so fabulous! And lyns colourful cretions are fantastic. I do like the look of the first flowery one, and the second fan one.

Good Morning ladies! (and gentlemen if there are any out there today) I was so exhausted after finishing up my Monet, it was like a full day and a half of work at Walmart (I used to work there) that you would have thought I would have taken a full break from it and just watch some TV or something. NOPE!

I started playing around with a motif square from this big book of Afghans by Leisure Arts that I got a few weeks ago. This one is called Old Fashioned Favorite. I thought doing a few of my squares in this would be nice but it looked a bit scarey to me.

motif.jpg

My youngest daughter is not real fond of the bright red sticking out like a sore thumb in the middle of all those pastles. This is just a test square to see if I could do this and not loose my mind.

Cupcake, don't be intimidated by the Monet! That was a very easy afghan to do and you could probably have one wipped up for yourself in no time.

Okay, I've been going through my stash, and I think I may make my scrap-ghan out of Lion Brand Homespun. While it has to be the most pain-in-the-butt yarn to work with, I do have tons of skeins, either left over from some project or skeins I picked up at Walmart, meaning to do something with them. I'm tempted to do a striped afghan, using the sideways shell pattern from the Project Linus website, as I figure a) It will be easier to work with homespun if I'm just going through a loop vs. hunting for an invisible stitch, and b) I can always donate it to Project Linus, if I can find colors in my stash that are baby-friendly.

Ilene --- I LOVE that square! I'll have to see if I have that book

Lynn

Archived