Scrap-ghan CAL

KnicKnac

Cupcake, you asked how many yo-yos you need to do for the afghan...the site says 618 for an afghan 48" x 70"...but I suppose you could make it however big or small you wanted, just keep joining them until you get the width, then adding them 'til you get the height you want. I just started making the yo-yos yesterday and really without a whole lot of effort I almost have 100 done, they go really fast! I figured I'd make around 12 or so of each colour to start and then join a few when I have the time. I'm keeping them all in little zip lock baggies for now :lol

Ilene, that square you made is gorgeous!!

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kiki - you are an inspiration! Already about 100 done??? WOW - I haven't even started yet!!!

Pam:

I may make my scrap-ghan out of Lion Brand Homespun. While it has to be the most pain-in-the-butt yarn to work with

OMG, I hate that yarn! It's so wonderful once the project is done, but making it??? ARGH!!! But it will be so soft and cuddly!

Ilene, that is a gorgeous square!!! I think the red is just fine in it! I would have been intimidated by that pattern.

Alright cupcake, it looks like you and me need to start moving!!!

Vims - nice to have you here with us! I was actually thinking that I would teach my little girl (6.5 years old) how to crochet and she could do those yo-yo's for me!!! GMTA!!!!

Cupcake, you asked how many yo-yos you need to do for the afghan...the site says 618 for an afghan 48" x 70"...but I suppose you could make it however big or small you wanted, just keep joining them until you get the width, then adding them 'til you get the height you want. I just started making the yo-yos yesterday and really without a whole lot of effort I almost have 100 done, they go really fast! I figured I'd make around 12 or so of each colour to start and then join a few when I have the time. I'm keeping them all in little zip lock baggies for now :lol

Ilene, that square you made is gorgeous!!

and I was feeling good about myself getting 15 done! ahh well.. the evening is still young... and the DO work up quick!

It's time to take a break and run away from home! (Don't I wish!) I'm headed out in the morning to my mother in law's which is in the mountains of North Carolina and take her the Monet.

I'm also bringing her one other thing she loves to have around, grandchildren. My husband talked our baby, she's 23 into going up for a visit. My Becky has been very busy lately trying to graduate from college and raise my granddaughter so it's been a bit rough for her to go up and visit Granny.

I redid my original square, it had a funky bump in the second row. (Kept the color scheme the same). Funny thing is that when I redid I didn't need as much yarn the second time, how come? The redone square looks much better and it's also got a paternal twin now. :D

See everyone on Sunday!

Ilene,

I can not believe how fast you whip out these ghans and how beautiful they are....I love the dusty rose and light green one and the American Flag is genius.....Good work and so fast....:cheer

Welcome rude-girl72!!! That is quite the creation you got going there! What is a blythe afgan?

Ilene, please have fun in North Carolina, and please let us know when you get back how your MIL like the Monet! I just know she is going to drool over it!

Ok, I couldn't be outdone by those of you that have already started on your scrap-ghan, so I started my yo-yo one this morning.

Nevermind that I only did 5 yo-yo's. Shhh, stop your laughing, I only have 613 more to go ... let's see, if I do 5 a day, that means it will only take me 123 days just to finish the yo-yo's, oh my, 4 months, just to do the yo-yo's - I gotta pick up the pace!!!

They are cute little buggers tho. I gotta ask those of you that have chosen to do the yo-yo pattern. Are you weaving in ends as you go? Should I spend the time today weaving in these ends so that it's not a problem later on? Are you going to wait for awhile till you get a bunch and then start putting them together?

So many questions, so little time!

mmm, while I can see that the yo yos are fun, the joining up in my opinion is like a punishment. I think I would rather stick bamboo shoots up my nails. :D I am going to seek out something that is more join free. :D Yes, I know I am a wimp..:lol

There were some celtic circle motifs posted a while back which I am going to explore a bit more. I reckon they might be quite effective done in different colours. I need a join as you go plan if I am to succeed in this.

I am currently bored joining up 49 squares for my 200 block CAL...:eek

joining 618 little yo yo thingames..... geese, a great way for me to commence yet another ufo! :D

Welcome rude-girl72!!! That is quite the creation you got going there! What is a blythe afgan?

Ilene, please have fun in North Carolina, and please let us know when you get back how your MIL like the Monet! I just know she is going to drool over it!

blythe is a 1970 doll. very expensive to buy,so I made a afgan that Ican affort.( from scraps ;) )

you can see some dolls over here.

http://www.prillycharmin.com/dolls/repro/hblythe.htm

I want to join! I'm currently trying to do a bit of destashing to make some room for new yarn! I'm getting ready to start a scrap afghan, and I'd love the motivation for the board to help me along!

errr... i need some help posting my pic :confused i dunno how it got in psf form but now i cant get it back to jpg, and it wont let me upload that kind of file :(

if anyone could help me out i'd really apreciate it

Knicknac--about the ends...I've joined a few and figure the best way to handle it (for me anyway) is to weave the ends in as I go...when I make the yo-yos I leave the end (about 2 inches) and work over it with my joining colour, then when the yo-yos are joined I'm working the ends in right away, otherwise it will surely drive me insane, since weaving in ends is my least favorite thing to do. Do I question the wisdom of choosing such an "ends a'plenty" project? Nah, if it takes a few months, well then it takes a few months...it is a scrapghan, after all :D

Is anyone else who's making this afghan thinking about colour schemes? I thought for this one I would just put colours together arbitrarily, no rules except not join two of the same colours side by side, and not put colours together that look really hideous...I've got about 17 different colour scraps to work with here, so it should be pretty interesting :lol

Hey has any one got this?? If so do you think it is worth the 15 bucks and postage I would have to pay?.

For you "yo yoers" out there, I like the way the yo yo looking job appears on the cover.

http://www.crochetaustralia.com.au/prod175.htm

Whad ya reckon??

cupcake - I don't have that book, but it does look interesting. I do like the way they did that yo yo looking one on the cover with the color coordinating.

Kiki - I have a problem with ends being WAY to long to cover over with stitches! I have to work on that and maybe I can hide mine along the way like you are doing. I am not going to bother with a color scheme. I am going to make a bunch of squares first tho to make sure I don't put two of the same too close together.

lilmari - I don't know what a psf file is. Hmmmm...maybe someone might be able to help?

Lady in the moon - Welcome to this CAL! No rush to get anything done, it's just when you have the time, and the scraps. Have you decided on a pattern yet?

Rude girl, thanks for that explanation!

Well, these five yo yo's are staring at me, beggin me to continue on!!! Let me get out of here and get some stuff done!

I don't have that book either but love the scrapghans on the cover! I don't know if its only available in Australia but maybe try www.abebooks.com. I have gotten books through them much cheaper than anywhere else.

Lynn

Mimi wife, I am happy you have let yos yos enter your life. Are you joining as you go?

Thanks for that. It is usually the shipping costs nd the dollar conversion which is a killer.

I don't have that book either but love the scrapghans on the cover! I don't know if its only available in Australia but maybe try www.abebooks.com. I have gotten books through them much cheaper than anywhere else.

Lynn

I'm going to make an afghan called "Stained Glass" from Leisure Arts "Afghans For All Seasons" Book 4. I wouldn't do this afghan for anything if my fiance didn't SWEAR that my soon to be mother-in-law would just adore this particular one! I HATE crocheting with multiple colors. I love the result, but I hate the time I spend changing colors, and I stay in constant fear that I won't weave in all those horrible ends well enough to keep the afghan together! I may have a breakdown before I'm finished. The pattern is easy... it's just all those COLORS!

I'm making an afghan using the squares from a pattern called Welcome Bouquet, but im using tons more different colors than the pattern says, and instead of whipstitching the squares together, i opted for the crochet dude's Dudesembly (yay!) i wish i could figure out this picture thing, i would love to show you all how its turning out

I'm making an afghan using the squares from a pattern called Welcome Bouquet, but im using tons more different colors than the pattern says, and instead of whipstitching the squares together, i opted for the crochet dude's Dudesembly (yay!) i wish i could figure out this picture thing, i would love to show you all how its turning out

email me your pictures and I can post them if you like. You need to use a web based photo host.

I got a lot of other things to work on, but thought I would post photos of my finished scrap afghan that I finally FINISHED for my cousin last year. Many of the scraps came from yard sales as I didn't have enough variety of color. It's very hard to show all the color well. Very easy to do--just alternating single and double crochet. Plowed through scraps like nothing else.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL252/1600103/3194928/105961782.jpg

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL252/1600103/3194928/105961699.jpg

Here is another scrap afghan (I call it the Circle Afghan) that required buying Black, but otherwise worked well with any kind of worsted. I did two of these as appointment afghans (took along project while driving relative to medical appt.). Very much a scrapbuster project that I enlarged considerably to fit full sized bed.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL252/1600103/3194928/54613930.jpg

Archived