Scrap-ghan CAL

KnicKnac

ok, i just saw this cal tonight, and it seems like a nice, no pressure, "add to it ghan" whenever i finish up another project....so, in the spirit of "it takes me 3 years to finish a blanket anyway" I"m joining this CAL, and will probably be a part of this CAL for the rest of my crocehting career...and eventually, I should have a really nice, yo-yo ghan!

Hope ya'll will have me!

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This afghan may well lead to my final breaking point into insanity! I sit and look at it like it's going to bite me! I swear! I absolutely hate making things with loads of color changes. I'm one of those people who live in fear that someday, something I make will unravel the first time it's used... by someone I love dearly. And the more yarn changes, the worse my odds are for that!! Not to mention, the time it takes to change yarn drives me crazy!

I have had no time to crochet since buying the house and moving... and I admit, I'm not forcing myself to get to the afghan. I'll let anything come first. But this blanket was asked for specifically by someone I'm really trying to... I don't know, impress I guess. And I really do need to get used to scrap patterns because I keep so much scrap yarn lying around! But coming back here and looking at everyone's beautiful projects has inspired me... thank you!

I really need to get through this one blanket... before I'm too old to remember WHY I was making it in the first place!! ugh!!!

Thanks again for the inspiration! Everyone is doing such a great job!

I came across the yo-yo's shortly before I came across this cal, I'm dying to make one of those ghans but since i'm so new to crocheting I have hardly any scrap to use, I would have to go out and actually buy yarn to make a scrap gahn. I might rummage my aunts stuff and see what she has that I can use wish me luck if I find anything cool I might be joining you Yo-Yo makers *does a Yo Yo dance*

Just to let you know Melissa, most Goodwills and thrift stores always have bags of leftover yarn, usually for only 3 or 4 dollars!

Looking forward to seeing your progress!

Ladyinthemoon - I so know what your talking about the unraveling thing. It scared me, until I started making things with lots of colors and washing them and then being ultra surprised that they were NOT coming apart! Don't let that fear overwhelm you and make you not finish your afghan!

Ada! Welcome to the club of the never ending scrap-ghan project!

Oh well, I have stayed away from this thread long enough! I am so sorry folks, I kind of let the yarn-ball drop on this. Haven't been doing my job of Scrap-ghan coordinator very well, but I intend on changing this!

I had originally decided to do a yo yo ghan, and dumped that, sent all the yo yo's I made to a fellow 'Viller and have now gone on to another project.

http://delusionalcrochet.blogspot.com/2006/07/cute-afghan-square-scappy-style.html

That is the one I started on, and I already have about 12 of them made. So we shall see.

I didn't completely fall off the earth, I did do a baby scrap-ghan but neglected to take a picture of it before I gave it away, silly me.

Anyhoo, I am back!

well i've given in...im going to ac moore tomorrow, I'm just gonna look for a few different shades of blue and a blue varragated and get one skein of each (hopefully no more than 4 and hopefully they will be clearance) I'm going to make this for my bed. My bed spread is blue and white but I don't really like using a lot of white so i was thinking of using blue and black and using this as my bed spread type deal for a while.

My only question si how many yo yo's do you think I would need to make something that fits on a queen size bed but also hangs over both sides of the bed and a little off the end?

• 2 weeks later...

wow that is amazing!! it's sad though that it didn't affect the stash much :( maybe you should make a few more lol just kidding :) but really that looks so awesome...are the hats stuffed?

• 2 weeks later...

I have been so busy working on my teacosy for the swap and goodies for my Autumn Secret Pal, that I have totally neglected my scrapghan. Need to get working!!!:sheepjump

Here is a photo of what I am working on. I think I posted this a while ago...but I think it was on the UFO CAL thread...it is my scrapghan that is also my UFO!!

DSCN03081Custom.jpg

The photo is a bit deceiving in that the stripes are actually horizontal, but for some reason I draped it over the chair in the opposite direction. I am doing every 4th row in black, otherwise, it is totally random...a very hard thing for me to do.

• 2 weeks later...

It has only taken me forever, but my afghan is finally finished! I don't regret doing it even though I have always hated using so many colors in a project. I don't regret doing it, but don't think I'll be doing another one anytime soon! :)

240913343_29f9c82a91_m.jpg

It has only taken me forever, but my afghan is finally finished! I don't regret doing it even though I have always hated using so many colors in a project. I don't regret doing it, but don't think I'll be doing another one anytime soon! :)

240913343_29f9c82a91_m.jpg

This is a beautiful afghan. :hug:clap I love the 'Mondrian' bit you have going. Good stuff!

I guess I will join you all in this one, seeing as I already have one in progress.

I'm doing the Carosel Squares with scraps and I've got done 12 squares of 36 or 42, still not sure exactly how big it needs to be, I want it for on top of our queen size bed.

Archived