Do You Wash You r Projects Before Giving Them Away?

This may be a dumb question, but do you wash your projects before giving them away?

I ask because I just made a couple of baby blankets for two co-workers who were having babies, and I washed one but not the other. I washed the first one because I had been working on it for a long time, and I had dropped it on the floor (or my cat had knocked it down) more than once. The other I made up within two days so it seemed fine to me.

I wish I had not washed the first since it ended up looking a little stretched out---not as fresh and new as the unwashed one. :badidea

If you do wash them, how do you do it? Special detergent? By hand? Air dry?

Im same as you, if ive had the yarn or a project on going for a while i will wash it.

but if its new yarn and a pretty quick project i dont wash.

somehow it never looks the same as "before" washing does it lol :think

i use baby bath to wash my items in and i always hand wash!

i always wash before gifting.. you NEVER know who may have allergies to your animals ..and also.. i hate to even say it .. but.. if the thing comes unravelled i would rather it happen to ME instead of the recipient the firt time its laundered..

also with baby items its always recommended to wash them before use.. even ready made from the store stuff ..

I definitely wash everything before I give it to the recipient. It depends on what type of yarn I've used as to how I wash and dry it. If it's going to have a problem, I want to know so I can fix it before giving it.

I make mostly blankets or sweaters for children out of acrylic yarn (like RedHeart SuperSaver). I always wash them first before donating them for several reasons: 1.) to just clean them 2.) to remove any cat hair from them 3.) to see if any pieces of yarn will work their way loose 4.) most of the blankets will have to be washed again and again over a period of time; I want to see if anything weird will happen to the yarn when it is washed 5.) washing really seems to "soften up" the SuperSaver yarn. I actually think the blankets look and feel better after being washed. I make quilts too and I always wash them too. But I don't like how they look after being washed - they get kind of wrinkled looking. Oh well. I forgot to add - I wash them by just throwing them in the washing machine and then in the dryer. If a yarn can't make it through that I don't use it because I'm pretty sure that is how the blanket will be washed in the future.

Geez, now I feel like a total slob... I rarely wash anything before I give it away!

:think :think :think Now I feel like Linus with the dirty blanket!:blush :blush :blush

I almost always wash any acrylic yarn item, simply because it seems to remove whatever "sizing" that is in the yarn, so it is softer after washing. I will also wash any pieced item (like comfortghans) because it helps to smooth out any irregularities. Kinda like blocking does, it evens out the smaller and larger squares and makes everything more even.

I'm so glad you asked this! I am making an afghan for a friend who will *never* hand-wash it, so I really should test it out in my washing machine (gentle cycle!) before giving it to her. I used acrylic so it should be okay, but who knows if my weaved-in ends will all hold?

I always wash stuff, whether I can throw it into a machine or wash it by hand. It just looks nicer when it's finished and I know it won't fall apart that way. Let the shock come to me, not somebody else! :eek

Geez, now I feel like a total slob... I rarely wash anything before I give it away!

:think :think :think Now I feel like Linus with the dirty blanket!:blush :blush :blush

:lol :lol I have to confess that I rarely wash mine either. I like the brand new look and when I see the recipients using the blankets, they still haven't fallen apart after washing. But still.....no one has yet told me if they caught cooties from my blankets though!! (Gee you don't think that's why they're always scratching themselves??!!!)

:lol :lol :c9

I always run acrylic blankets and such through the washer and dryer once I have finished them. I keep a bottle of baby-type detergent just for this purpose. Washing seems to soften up the item a bit, plus I get to be absolutely sure that any seams are secure. (I've never had anything fall apart, but it's a secret fear I have.)

No, I don't use fabric softener. Instead I use a cup of vinegar in the rinse water. It acts like a fabric softener but I don't have to worry about anyone having an allergy or some sort of chemical reaction to a fabric softener. The blankets or whatever you are washing won't smell like vinegar when you are done washing and drying. Isn't it funny how different we are in how we do things? What a great place this board.

I always wash them before I give them. Like others have said, allergies to pets and unraveling or something happening is better happening to me than to the person receiving it. And to be honest...most people probably wouldn't notice the difference.

Great information everyone, thanks! But now I'm worried. I washed to baby blanket I made in regular detergent (Purex, I think), not baby detergent. Is this bad? I don't have any children yet, so I didn't know....:(

As a mom, there wasn't anything that I didn't wash for my girls before giving it to them. I was always afraid they'd have an allergy to something. :)

I'd bet this mom might be the same way so even if you used regular detergent, so it would probably be fine. :) If you plan on making more blankets for yourself or others, keep a small bottle of baby detergent or even any of the ones like All Free and such which are supposed to be fragrance-free (allergy-free or something. I don't use it so I'm probably not accurate on its description! :lol ). They also sell special washes for knit/crochet projects which might be something to consider too. :)

I always wash my items- I find it helps to "block" them and even out the stiches. Also- as others have said I'd rather have the whole thing come apart while I still have it and can fix it, than have the person I give it to have to deal... I usually give a delicates washing bag (you can find them at dollar stores) with each item, as well as washing instructions. :hook

I like to wash something before giving it away, a) because it's just more sanitary, b) just in case any little kitty and doggie hairs have gotten on it that can't be seen with the naked eye--not to mention dander, and c) to make sure the article stands up in the wash (especially important for a baby garment that's probably going to see several washings.

I rarely wash things before giving them away. I've been known to wash old yarn before crocheting with it, but I like the new look things have at first when they're done, I don't want to start wearing something down before giving it away. But you all make good points in favour of washing stuff. I might have to concider it more often. :)

Archived