Black Sewing Thread Bag

Mint

Ok, I think I can honestly say I'm addicted to crocheting with sewing thread now. :eek

I made this bag for my mom, it was originally going to be a mother's day present but now that it's finished I can't wait to give it to her. She said she needed something to keep a few of her small items in when she travels for work. So the result was this:

smallbbagimage.jpg

The beaded flowers are supposed to be morning glory flowers like the ones she has in her garden (they don't look like morning glory flowers though :lol ). Here's a close up on the beading:

closeuponbeads.jpg

The pictures don't show the stiches hardly at all - the body is diagonal box stitch, the top two or so inches is in the stitch used in the "Zen and the Art of Stash Diving" Crochet me Magazine scarf (I have no idea what the stitch is called). Topped off with a few rounds of sc and a draw string.

Now if I can get enough nerve up to make a shirt out of black sewing thread..:P

:eekOh My Gosh! That is incredible! How long did that take and how do you use sewing thread? I had never heard of crocheting with that until I joined this group.....amazing simply amazing! It is beautiful too (sorry, meant to say that earlier), I am just in awe! :clap

You did an Awesome job.:manyheart Your mother should be thrilled. You are right that little thread can become addictive. You might check out some size 100 cordonett. It has a little more body than sewing thread and more strength without sacrificing the delicacy of the tiny thread.

:eekOh My Gosh! That is incredible! How long did that take and how do you use sewing thread? I had never heard of crocheting with that until I joined this group.....amazing simply amazing! It is beautiful too (sorry, meant to say that earlier), I am just in awe! :clap

I started this on Feb. 24, spent all my free time working on it. While everyone else in the dorms partied all weekend, I stayed up with a few Dr. Peppers and lots of thread working on this :lol . It goes faster now that I'm used to the ity-bity thread. Probably the hardest part is getting started (working the first few rows into chains is a pain!).

It's easier to do sewing thread if you start working down in material sizes. I went over time from ww to sport, size 10 thread, 2 sewing thread held together, and now am at the 1 strand of sewing thread size.

I :manyheart the detail you can get with sewing thread though! It's much easier to use than it sounds :)

Edit to add:

That is amazing, I can't imagine how much time went into that! What size hook did you use?

I used a size 10 steel hook still, I need to invest in smaller ones :)

And thank you all for the comments :yay Glad you all like it too!

wow that ROCKS! Im barely using size 30. I cant imagine sewing threads. It is a gorgeous bag I know your mom will adore it! I have to ask, did you grab flesh at anytime with that hook? and what size hook did u use? I say that, cause I neglected my tape and am recovering from a nasty lil rip myself....:(

Nice beading too!;)

You might check out some size 100 cordonett. It has a little more body than sewing thread and more strength without sacrificing the delicacy of the tiny thread.

Sounds like nice thread :) I will have to try that after I finish off the black thread I bought (sales are so great!).

I have to ask, did you grab flesh at anytime with that hook?

That doesn't seem to be a problem for me, but it may just be the way I crochet. Everyone my aunt met said she crochets funny, and I learned from her :D. I do have the problem of poking myself with the hook going through on some sc, but a little square of tape on my left index finger gives me all the protection I need. I imagine that things could get nastier with some of the smaller hooks though! I used to think the size 10 hook I use was small until I saw a 14 hook!

I did the beading afterwards - originally I had made a sample square with pre-strung beads but didn't like the way the flowers came out with that method and diagonal box stitch. Instead I finished crocheting the diagonal box stitch portion and then took a needle and thread and sewed the beads on it.

WOW!!!!! Gorgeous bag! I have a hard time working with black size 10 thread as it strains my eyes and to think you used sewing thread for it! Amazing and that's so beautiful and elegant! Your mom is lucky to have a talented and sweet daughter like you.

Wow, Mint, I've never heard of this. You must have amazing patience! I've never crocheted with even one strand of size 10 thread so I can't imagine the tiny chain you must be making. That is truly beautiful and very innovative!:tup

Wow! thats beautiful! I used to crochet with 3 strands of sewing thread held together ( before the crochet threads were available here) and the effect is so pretty. The beading is good too. Your mom is lucky to get this.

Yasmin.

Very, very pretty. I have a hard time with fingering yarn at times I have no idea what it would be like with a single thread. (I have problems threading the sewing maching needle :P ~ that's the face I make) Your mother is very lucky to have a daughter who gives beautiful gifts and precious time:manyheart

• 3 weeks later...

Archived