spalted maple hook case

BrianC

HI everybody,

This is the latest of my work. It is made of spalted maple and the ends are kalimantan palm nut. It is my first time working with this kind of nut so things are not quite what I would prefer but not bad.

spaltedcase.jpg[/img]

Wait... Did you hear that?

It said it wanted to come live with me! I heard it! Didn't you?

really is gorgeous

I do get to see it tonight don't I ? :)

I am so lucky everyone, as I at least get to see all of his creations before they head for their new homes. :D At least I had better or I will give him the lesson from you know where.:devil

It's lovely Brian, Not a nice as mine, but Lovely. :hook

I will bring it tonight Kathy so you can see it. This case has been claimed so it is no longer homeless. Thanks for all the kind words.

I am trying to find some more of the spalted maple. Think I have found some of that and some spalted birch. There are some others that look intersting too.

Brian

Oh Brian it is so beautiful! I love the wood - is spalted similar to burled?... :think

...question, if I have some nice wood, could you make a case out of it? or even a question for Jimbo too I guess, could a hook be made out of it... It's Black Oregon Walnut and it is gorgeous (and $$)! I bought some in college for a furniture studio (made some nice side tables) and have some extra that's just lying around in my dad's shop...and the thought just occured to me... anyways, enough rambling.

Again, it is stunning, and if you have any other homeless creations, I'm sure I can make room for them at my place :D

~K

Hi Kelle,

Spalting is caused by a mold that follows rot lines in dead wood. It causes soft spots and black lines usually although I have some alder that is spalted and it is mostly just color variations in what would otherwise be a cream colored wood. Burl is caused by trauma to the tree either through injury such as pruning or a cut or it is from a virus, depending on the species of tree. I find burl in the root of madrona trees and huckelbury root. I will make some hooks of huck one of these days. I love burl although it is the hardest to work becasue the grain goes every which direction. I recently turned a bowl from Fir burl found in a root mass. Over two years it left the lathe no less than 15 times, usually going at a high rate of speed (30-40 mph). I finally finished it becasue I just didn't want to fight with it any more. Anyway spalting, burl, and crotch wood make the most interesting pieces as far as I am concerned.

Brian

Beautious Brian! and you know what? I bet you could make some ceegar holders like that. Maybe lined with Spanish Cedar? oooh now there's another market!

Thanks for posting the picture!

Wow is that beautiful! :drool:drool:drool

So, uhm... you said there were more potentially "homeless" ones out there? I'll have to be watching for it better next time! :eek:devil:hook

I get wood from all over. Some I buy at a local woodworker store or order from shops on line, some I get in the woods, some I get on Ebay, some I trade for. My farrier was by today and is going to give me a bunch of water buffalo and scotish black face sheep horn. Some I trade for. The hard woods can be very hard and some like cocobolo can be very irritating (on the wood turning group they say that everybody is alergfic to it, it is just that some haven't found out yet). I get things like madrona and huckelberry in my back yard.

Wow is that beautiful! :drool:drool:drool

So, uhm... you said there were more potentially "homeless" ones out there? I'll have to be watching for it better next time! :eek:devil:hook

I was thinking the same thing Goldi! But I didn't want to sound desperate and ask where/if he sells them online somewhere. LOL. :blush

The wood has an amazing grain. I imagine that this piece has a lovely feel as well. Might seem like an odd question, but what does it smell like?

I just love the smell of turned timber. :manyheart Makes me feel good inside.

Maybe this little beauty wants to emigrate to Australia?

I get wood from all over. Some I buy at a local woodworker store or order from shops on line, some I get in the woods, some I get on Ebay, some I trade for. My farrier was by today and is going to give me a bunch of water buffalo and scotish black face sheep horn. Some I trade for. The hard woods can be very hard and some like cocobolo can be very irritating (on the wood turning group they say that everybody is alergfic to it, it is just that some haven't found out yet). I get things like madrona and huckelberry in my back yard.

Thanks brian! The trouble I have is finding it in pieces longer than 5 inches or so! This is getting frustrateing!

Archived