Scripture Afghan Crochetalong

JulieKay

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's what I did the other night, no more added to it... been busy with February's swap square :hook and limited time, like most of you all.

I looked at what I did vs the flat braid joining technique. I did not single crochet, I slip stiched and I did not take the chain off my hook (to go through the loops). Other than that it's basically the same, lays probably not quite as flat, but still lays well. I didn't think until now to try and get a close up. Sorry it's not the best picture, still playing with my new camera.

Blocks shown are first row: 21, 15, 3 and 2nd row: 22, 5, 1, 23

firstconnected.jpg

Who's next to show off what you've done? :hook Don't be shy.

but I am also getting an 8 inch square.

Sounds like we have enough people getting 8 inch squares that perhaps they were wrong in their gauge or a flaw in the pattern. :laughroll

Cindy, I like how you're joining the squares as you go. I made an afghan similar to this before and joined them all at the end. I didn't think I'd ever get that thing done. Also, I like your dark colors with light edging/joining.

Sounds like we have enough people getting 8 inch squares that perhaps they were wrong in their gauge or a flaw in the pattern. :laughroll

I have made this one and I got all mine with 7 inch squares and I am going to add on to it make it bigger so I can put it on my king size bed. This was my first afghan and first big thing to crochet.

Picture%20109.jpgPicture%20153.jpg

Becky, yours looks great! I do love the colors :manyheart and I thought I was ambitious with mine for my queen bed... you go!!

kagome4, all I know is the leaflet I have is copyrighted 1995 so it may very well be out of print. Check ebay and perhaps other places online. Good luck, it would be wonderful to have more join the group. :hook

O.kay... I've been toying with the idea of joining this CA since it was started. I've gotten the leaflet from an aution off of e-bay this last week and all I need to do is pick my colors.

A little info. about me... My name is Theresa. I am happily married to my highschool sweetheart. We have 4 children whom we homeschool. I have been crocheting since I was 9/10 years old but have never been a pattren follower. I always had trouble reading them. Over the last few months I have gotten much better at reading and have made a few things (hats, poncho's, a purse and a pig pet pillow) using a pattern. I have the 63 block afghan book also but have never attempted it. :blush I actually bought that book for more ideas of stitches than to actually make the afghan.

So... when I get the yarn I'll let cha all know. I know that this afghan will be a gift, but I'm not quite sure for who yet. We have chosen, as a family to only give gifts this year that are made... a lot of mine will be crocheted or packs of cards (that I make with stamping). Hubby does wood working and the kids are just creative. :manyheart

I'm excited and a bit nervous to start, but I've read through all posts and it's nice to have others who have walked before me who can help me out if I get stuck. :)

CAL stands for Crochet Along. For this particular CAL we are doing the Scripture Afghan. It is basically just a bunch of members working on the same project, which is pretty cool because we are able to help each other out if we get stuck and it's super fun to see all the different completed afghans in their different colors.

I picked up my yarn for today and I'm done with my first square (sq. #1 - honeycomb). I still need to do this one in the second color.

I got square # 1 done last night and started on square # 4.

When I bought my yarn yesterday I couldn't remember how many of each color. I thought it was three but it's four plus the joining color and so I need to go find 2 more colors for my squares. I have Aran for my joining color and have Med. Thyme and Dark plum for the squares. I might look for a lighter version of each of these or go with a butter looking color that I saw yesterday and something else.

Anywhoo... until Next week I am only working with my Med Thyme and Dark plum so I am only working on those squares for those colors.

Hi everyone, just me checking in. Well I did another square today #13 the heart. After I finished it, I completely frogged it. It measured 9 inches square (yikes!) :eek All of my other squares have been turning out about 8 inches. So I redid the square leaving out row 3 and row 18. And I also left 2 chains off of the beginning chain (only did 24 chains) and then left a hdc off of each side of the heart. The square now measures about 8 inches. I hope that helps someone else. I was using the redheart supersaver yarn which is the thickest yarn I'm using in the afghan the rest of the yarn is TLC yarn. Thank goodness it didn't really take a long time to do the square. How's everyone else doing? Keep on crocheting!:yay

Hi Karin,

Thanks so much for all the info. It's so much easier to follow along behind someone else. Thanks for being that someone. :D

When everyone says they finished sq. # ____ does that mean you have finished both colors for that square or just done one of them? I would like to know how far everyone is.

Also, are you finishing it up with the joining color right away or are you doing that later?

I'm only doing one of each square first and then I'll start back around and do them all over again. (Did that make any sense?) I haven't added the joining color to any of my squares yet basically because I haven't decided what color to use yet. I figured I would wait until all the squares were done and go from there.

Archived